Bosch Idle Control Valve discontinued, any valid alternatives?

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Danny Wilde

Bosch Idle Control Valve discontinued, any valid alternatives?

Post by Danny Wilde »

Hi to all :D, as you all know the original Bosch ICV has been discontinued in 2013...

Bosch original: 0280140509
BMW: 13411286065

The only ones I've seen available are cheap alternatives that range between $30 and $60, bought two of them and both malfunctioned with idle rpm never settling below 1500 :roll:
Does anyone know of a reliable source for a new Bosch one? Or of a proven alternative that actually really works and is worth purchasing?

Thanks for your precious help guys,
best
Danny
635csi manual euro 1986
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Bosch Idle Control Valve discontinued, any valid alternatives?

Post by jps635 »

'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

OUCH!
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

This is not good.
1985 635CSi
1987 535is
1965 Impala SS
plip1953

Post by plip1953 »

Have you dismissed the idea of buying secondhand?
Phil

1988 Highline 635 CSi
Danny Wilde

Post by Danny Wilde »

jps635 thanks for the suggestion, wow that's pretty expensive :shock:
As a matter of fact my original (32 years old) Bosch ICV is still working fine, I just want to get myself a replacement in case it fails in the future….
plip1953 wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:39 am Have you dismissed the idea of buying secondhand?
Thanks plip1953 as a matter of fact I haven't considered it yet, do you think it is an item that can be bought used and still work ok?

Has anyone of you ever had any success in getting one of the cheaper ones (not Bosch) to actually work?
635csi manual euro 1986
plip1953

Post by plip1953 »

I'm afraid I have very little idea what it is about these units that cause them not perform correctly, other perhaps than a suggestion I recall from years back saying it was a good idea to flush them through from time to time to remove any build up of dirt etc internally.

The same units were fitted to loads of BMW models right through from the late 70s to mid 90s so there must surely be quite a lot of secondhand ones knocking about?
Phil

1988 Highline 635 CSi
Danny Wilde

Post by Danny Wilde »

plip1953 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:02 am I'm afraid I have very little idea what it is about these units that cause them not perform correctly, other perhaps than a suggestion I recall from years back saying it was a good idea to flush them through from time to time to remove any build up of dirt etc internally.

The same units were fitted to loads of BMW models right through from the late 70s to mid 90s so there must surely be quite a lot of secondhand ones knocking about?
Dear plip1953 yes you're right, I think getting a good used one is the way to go:)
Thanks again guys:)
Danny
635csi manual euro 1986
plip1953

Post by plip1953 »

Danny Wilde wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:21 am
plip1953 wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:02 am I'm afraid I have very little idea what it is about these units that cause them not perform correctly, other perhaps than a suggestion I recall from years back saying it was a good idea to flush them through from time to time to remove any build up of dirt etc internally.

Dear plip1953 yes you're right, I think getting a good used one is the way to go:)
Danny
Over the weekend I was sorting through some of my stash of used parts and came a cross an original ICV. I believe I acquired it when I bought a secondhand engine many years ago that was originally from an E34. To be honest the insides of the unit look very dirty/clogged up indeed and I've no idea if it works either at all or well/badly etc. However, for the cost of postage I'd be very happy to send it to you.

Or I'd be happy to give it a clean and test it electrically if someone could tell me how that can be done?
Phil

1988 Highline 635 CSi
Rondel Fan

Post by Rondel Fan »

An accepted cleaning method that has worked for me on these units in other cars is to flush it with carb cleaner and operate the unit with a 9 volt battery. Continue with the carb cleaner until it runs clear and then swap the unit in and try it out.
My worst units would not click/open at all pre flush and freed up after the flush.
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jps635 »

I have a used B35 ICV that was horribly gummed up when I got it. Forget what I cleaned it with but gave a good soak and then carb cleaner, however was advised to use brake fluid.
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
Danny Wilde

Post by Danny Wilde »

plip1953 wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:54 am
Danny Wilde wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:21 am

Danny
Over the weekend I was sorting through some of my stash of used parts and came a cross an original ICV. I believe I acquired it when I bought a secondhand engine many years ago that was originally from an E34. To be honest the insides of the unit look very dirty/clogged up indeed and I've no idea if it works either at all or well/badly etc. However, for the cost of postage I'd be very happy to send it to you.

Or I'd be happy to give it a clean and test it electrically if someone could tell me how that can be done?
Hey plip1953, sorry for the delay, thanks a lot for your kind offer, just got a used Bosch one, gave it a clean and works perfectly! :D

Rondel Fan and jps635 thanks for your advice too!
635csi manual euro 1986