Ignition upgrade?

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Doctorbeer

Ignition upgrade?

Post by Doctorbeer »

Hello everyone!

I've been working on my 84' 633i (11/83), I am at the point where I have ironed out all vacuum leaks. I am moving on to other areas that need the maintence.

The current area of focus is the ignition system. There are misfire issues but it runs and I drive it daily. I'd like to smooth it out. It has newish spark plugs, I got new wires, the distributor cap has a crack in it but I patched it up with some JB weld. I want to replace it, and that is where this topic comes in.

My 6 doesn't have the ignition upgrade. It has the push on rotor arm. (I found this out when my replacement rotor I bought was a bolt in and I took the cap off. :lol: ) I have been reading this upgrade was done to help with idling and I did see the thread explaining it all, plus the coolant switch resistor.

However my issue is I can't find any place that tells me what I need to get to do the upgrade myself. The thread explaining why didn't tell us how. Some say it depends on the camshaft, others don't, some say you need a pin that will hold the adapter and that was only on certain models, etc. The topics weren't for the 6 series but the e28 533i.

Thus the research for finding the answer has come to a dead end.

I could go and buy a 635 rotor adapter and hope for the best, but I figured I should ask first.

What do I need to get for this ignition upgrade? Is it even worth the effort?

I hope it is as simple as I was thinking it may be from looking at the parts picture. A simple swap maybe?

Thanks for any input!
1984 633i Auto
bakemono

Re: Ignition upgrade?

Post by bakemono »

This is another one of those things I used to know but now my memory is foggy and it's hard to find the information again. This is a picture of a rotor adaptor from a 3.2, but I think they had one with a different key also that would not interchange.
'82 528e - M50B25 + GS6-37BZ
'83 633CSi - Megasquirt and a 3.46LSD
Doctorbeer

Re: Ignition upgrade?

Post by Doctorbeer »

Yeah, that does look correct. I did a bit more searching, I found a thread deep within the internet and it gave me a part number. A part with a built in pin it looks like. All the description says is 'spec adapter' P/N 11311288027. The only difference is it does not have the cut in it like yours. That may be the difference in different models people were talking about.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw ... 311288027/

If the weather is nice tomorrow, I may just take mine out and look at it. :-k
3.PNG
3.PNG (83.73 KiB) Viewed 2653 times
1984 633i Auto