No blower A/c or heat

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

emac

No blower A/c or heat

Post by emac »

Did a lot of reading and I think I know what is wrong, but I just want to check before spending money.

87 M6. No blower in heat or A/C. Fuse #20 blows as soon as I turn the key on. Heat blower motor is fine I removed it, oiled it and put power to it and it runs super smooth. I checked and swapped the blower select (purple relay) behind dash left of glovebox. With the key on I can feel the relay click when I press the A/C button. Fan for rear air works properly.

I am thinking the fan speed switch in the dash has died and is shorting out causing the fuse to blow. Everything I read said if the fan doesnt work on heat or A/C then it is the relay or ground. Any and all help much appreciated. Thank you.

ernest
emac

Re: No blower A/c or heat

Post by emac »

Just in case anyone reads this thread in the future.......The problem turned out to be the connector going to the A/C transistor. As soon as you would jiggle it around the fuse would blow. I took a small pick and bent all the tabs in the connector a little tighter and all is fine.
biggles

Post by biggles »

Thanks for following up with the solution. Where is the AC transistor?
81 BMW 635csi RHD Euro manual.
02 M5
02 MCoupe
emac

Post by emac »

Right side of center console. Same location as this DIY post (not an e24):

https://blog.bavauto.com/16847/bmw-diy- ... o-replace/