Clutch time + ??

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

smtguy

Clutch time + ??

Post by smtguy »

I am thinking about the parts I need to gather for a clutch replacement on my '83 633, (and other things while I am in):

Sachs clutch kit (clutch plate, pressure plate, t/o bearing)
Pilot bearing
rear main seal
gearbox front seal
slave cylinder
What have I missed?

With the gearbox out, I would like to replace whatever bushings, etc I need to to tighten up the slop in the shifter and make it not so difficult to get into gear when cold, but I don't know what parts are needed. Gearbox is Getrag 260. Looking for advice and suggestions.

Thanks!
1983 Bronzit 633CSi 5 speed
2004 Audi TT Quattro 6 speed

Scott
bakemono

Re: Clutch time + ??

Post by bakemono »

Might be a good time to do the guibo/giubo/flexdisc and the transmission mounts if the rubber is showing any signs of coming apart.

There are several parts in the shift linkage, and the more of them that you replace the better it gets. See this page:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=25_0150

Unforunately the parts database is rather confusing these days. For instance, I don"t know why there are 6 part numbers for #1
'82 528e - M50B25 + GS6-37BZ
'83 633CSi - Megasquirt and a 3.46LSD
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

bakemono wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:35 am
Unforunately the parts database is rather confusing these days. For instance, I don"t know why there are 6 part numbers for #1
Parts that are superseded by others and parts that supersede others.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

Use ATF in your trans not gear oil.
The heavier gear oil will be too thick even when hot to
slow down the synchros when downshifting.

It's labeled on the parts page.
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=23_0725
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
emac

Post by emac »

Should be a seal where the shifter comes out of the tranny. I would put one on the list. When doing the shifter make sure you order the right number of parts. For example it will list a washer, but you need 4 of them, not just one.
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

The front (input) seal is in a case that bolts to the trans. Replace the gasket for that case.

There is a plastic pin (clutch fork pivot pin) that easily wears out so it should be replaced. Located on the other end of the clutch fork from the slave cylinder. Someone made a metal one for more $$. Good luck

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
bimmern00b

Post by bimmern00b »

bakemono wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:35 am Might be a good time to do the guibo/giubo/flexdisc and the transmission mounts if the rubber is showing any signs of coming apart.

There are several parts in the shift linkage, and the more of them that you replace the better it gets. See this page:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=25_0150

would this be all that needs to be changed for better shifting?
Rondel Fan

Post by Rondel Fan »

The biggest difference will come from all new shifter bushings and one of these to replace the pressed metal factory unit.
There a few manufacturers I think. A number of purveyors make the "bushing kits" to replace all the contact points for the shifter, selector rod carriage and pivots etc.

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/dssr/

I have on in my e30 and the PO of my 635 had installed one. It has the tightest shifter feel since my 944T which I personally rebuilt with custom bits the get a nice snug and direct shift feel.
Coupe633

Post by Coupe633 »

I've been having some vibrations as if I can feel the gears in my stick but only in 1st, 3rd and 5th (all forward position) and haven't found anything exactly like this in the forum yet I thought I would post here to see if this is what others may have experienced which lead to replacing certain parts on their linkage under the gear shift or could explain what may be going bad in my case. When I push the shifter forward is when I feel this through the shifter and if I push harder forward I can hear what sounds like gears. This does not happen when I pull it back to 2nd and 4th. It has not yet popped out of gear but it feels like it might at any time. I am not at all experiencing any strange feel with the car or the gearbox while driving, just up through the shift lever. Appreciate any thoughts or comments on this.

1984 633CSi Schwarz
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

Just spit balling, but maybe it could be the bottom of the shifter touching the driveshaft when in forward pitched gear positions. I'd get under the car and see if there is a ring of wear around the driveshaft.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
Coupe633

Post by Coupe633 »

Da_Hose wrote: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:46 pm Just spit balling, but maybe it could be the bottom of the shifter touching the driveshaft when in forward pitched gear positions. I'd get under the car and see if there is a ring of wear around the driveshaft.

Jose
What do you mean by "spit balling"? Glad I got under there to see what I could see and low and behold, my flex disc is starting to shred.

1984 633CSi Scharz
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Spit-balling=throwing out a suggestion.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

Interesting. I always thought of "spit balling" as common vernacular across pretty much all types of people (in the U.S. at least). Yep, that's what I meant Ken.

Glad it was a simple thing on your 83. I recall that when I got my little 2002 many moons ago, the guibo was completely broken apart. Surprisingly, it had little rattle. Do you think it was the shifter touching in those forward positions, or just coming through the mounts in forward position?

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car