I'll take left over parts for $500 Alex

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Rondel Fan

I'll take left over parts for $500 Alex

Post by Rondel Fan »

I just finished a clutch job on my 86 with 105K miles with new ancillaries like starter, some intake hoses etc and for the reverse drive out into the driveway all seems good. I had the following bits left over.

I had started down the path of removing the intake manifold to get the original starter out but decided to go another route after just releasing the fuel rail wiring and most of the intake nuts but not moving the intake one iota.

After careful review of the surgical field, neither I nor my partner in crime could find a home for these 2 10mm bolts. Best guess is that they came from somewhere down the centerline of the top side of the engine but no real idea. Any or all ideas welcome and explored. The plastic hose? keeper was under the car and I don't recall removing it or if it was flushed out in all the activity.

With 2 uses of the clutch in the short drive, I was surprised to see an all metal throw out bearing which had begun to wear on its' sleeve as well as pretty good wear on the throw out fork as well.

wogden700

Re: I'll take left over parts for $500 Alex

Post by wogden700 »

As Colin Chapman said "add Lightness"!
1985 635CSi Diamondblack/Llama
1991 750iL (sold)
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Reminds me of a story that Jay Leno wrote for Hagerty magazine recently, about a colleague who wanted to add some carbon fiber parts to his car because they reduced weight :-k

Jay went on to explain that if you are adding anything to your car, you won't be reducing it's weight, regardless if it's made of carbon fiber #-o

Didn't sink in, as the saying goes, ya can't fix stupid [-X
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

The bolts can be from anywhere. Sorry

The plastic piece is for the positive battery cable to secure it around the dipstick tube. Bolts to the bracket coming from the oil filter housing and attaches to the tube.

The damaged fork and TO bearing is likely from the slave cylinder not being in the proper recess in the end of the fork. Good luck

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
Rondel Fan

Post by Rondel Fan »

Thanks. I actually found a picture of the cable in that hanger on the dipstick tube. I found given the slightly different clocking of the solenoid on my later model starter required a slight rerun of the cable and it no longer really fits close to where this hanger would retain it, so out it stays. I can't imagine a clutch slave not self aligning with the throw out fork. It all seemed OK when I removed it, I was just assuming 105K miles of wear.

Hoping to get time to rebuild my PS pump and ancillaries so I can take the new clutch ad bits out for a proper drive.
Rondel Fan

Post by Rondel Fan »

Thanks for all the hints. They were the hold down bolts for the fuel rail to the block. The fuel hoses and electrical wires did such a good job of holding the rail near the intake that I had missed not reinserting these bolts.