87 M6 ignition rotor fit.

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Bhart
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

87 M6 ignition rotor fit.

Post by Bhart »

I have just attempted to change the ignition rotor on my 1987 M6. The old one's Allen headed bolts were stuck - two days of PB Blaster every few hours would not let me budge them using an Allen key. Last resort? Vice Grips... and yes, the backed off with a whole lot of pressure. Removed the rotor and found the end of the locator piece broken off in the housing - no problem, fished it out with my pinkie.

Now, on to offering up the new piece. I wire brushed the metal adapter, cleaned up the inside hole for the locator and wiped a little copper anti seize on the screws and center location 'beak'. When I placed the rotor on the adapter it was a very snug fit. It seemed to be rocking side to side on the location piece and I could start one screw or one of the other two. With some gentle tapping, I managed to get all three started and I assumed they would pull in slowly as I screwed a half turn each in order. No such luck, It cracked in two spots.

My question here, does the newer 12111715906 rotor require 'fitting' to slide into the mating hole on the adapter? My plan was to lightly grind the inside of the adapter and also reduce the circumference of the rotor 'beak' a bit with some Emery cloth. Does this sound reasonable?
Attachments
Dizzy D.jpg
Dizzy D.jpg (713.25 KiB) Viewed 3005 times
Dizzy C.jpg
Dizzy C.jpg (737.59 KiB) Viewed 3005 times
Dizzy B.jpg
Dizzy B.jpg (772.95 KiB) Viewed 3005 times
Dizzy A.jpg
Dizzy A.jpg (619.49 KiB) Viewed 3005 times
01/1987 M6

past Bimmers;
1970 2800CS
1988 325is
1985 325E
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 87 M6 ignition rotor fit.

Post by bpoliakoff »

The adapter looks nasty crusty Why don't you pull it off and wire brush it clean. The rotor should slip right over it then
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
Bhart
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by Bhart »

I've only got long 6 mm hex socket. The rad is out but AC still in and no room for a handle on that socket. Tried it with the hex in the bolt and used a Crescent wrench on the hex - no go. I'll have to venture out and see what shops are open. I've got a week before FedEx delivers my new rotor.
01/1987 M6

past Bimmers;
1970 2800CS
1988 325is
1985 325E
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Soak it with PB blaster or when you go by a gas station have a little jar with you and just drain a diesel hose and use what comes out that stuff is nasty is great for break things loose. Basically it is kerosene and oil blend. Also see if you can tighten it first. Sometimes a little movement that way will break it loose. Take your long socket and grind it short or go to Ace or Auto Zone or Home Depot and buy a short I know HD has them for sure Put a long breaker bar on the socket but go easy so you don't snap the bolt just little snaps on it
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
Bhart
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by Bhart »

I had to order a short 6mm hex socket, since I had none. Now that the correct tool has arrived I was able to easily remove the mount and then brush, scrape, file and sand the corrosion off and the new rotor slides on as it should. That was quite a mess.
Attachments
Crop rotor mount.jpg
Crop rotor mount.jpg (524.59 KiB) Viewed 2861 times
01/1987 M6

past Bimmers;
1970 2800CS
1988 325is
1985 325E