Fritz Bits

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

sideshowbob

Fritz Bits

Post by sideshowbob »

Just got my '88 635 CSi out of storage.

Have spent a couple of days of lockdown, cleaning engine bay and adjusting the valve clearance replacing spak plugs etc.

Engine now starts promptly and has a much quieter and smoother tickover.

However on inspection underneath have noticed a potential problem with the intermediate silencer, it looks as though there might be a potential leak due to corrosion on the inlet side, at this moment in time I don't think it will be a problem.

This has made me think that I should prepare to potentially replace the system, and I was wondering does anyone have any experience of a Fritz Bits tubular exhaust manifold and silencer system.

I am thinking a slight increase in performance and a more throaty sound would be appreciated over a real OEM replacement

Has anyone done this mod, and if so does anyone have a recording of the exhaust sound.

Thanks
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Fritz Bits

Post by jps635 »

I have their full system. Haven't got a sound recording but can say is quite a deep sound, has a beat similar to a V8 at idle. Wife can hear me coming before I get to the bottom of the drive, which is 50m and windows double glazed, but does not drone, and easy to live with on long trips. It crackles and pops a bit under deceleration / overrun especially at low speed but more to to do with tune I think.

I doubt very much he increased horsepower claims, but you will notice some difference. One mod I made was cut and bevel the underneath of the rear silencer as these are quite low and looked awful and was scraping on driveway entrances (car lowered).

Also got the headers ceramic coated inside and out, as they generate a lot of heat.

Overall good product - good quality and addictive sound.
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

I had to buy an exhaust system two years ago for my 635CSi so after some deliberation bought a Fritz system.

I also very much doubt the performance claims but it does sound throaty and more importantly does not noticeably drone or resonate at all - a fairly common problem with some poorly designed stainless systems. With two V8's on my drive I don't think it sounds like them at all but it does sound good and it is very well made and easy to install - I spent four times longer getting the old system off.

It is a little pricey but ease of installation and no drone make it worth it for me so I would recommend it and I will buy one for my M635 when that system rusts to dust in a few years time.
2001 Alpina B10 V8 Touring (1 of 12 rhd)
1997 Alpina B12 5.7 L (1 of 2 rhd)
1995 Alpina B10 4.6 Touring (1 of 1 rhd)
1985 BMW M635CSi (1 of 524 rhd)
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

Your car is a highline, right?

I haven't any direct experience of the system for your car, but my '87 M635 and '84 635 sounded great with the [same type of] Fritz exhaust. Antisocial, but addictive.

Like the above comments, worth it, but 20bhp gain? Don't think so.
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

I have a full Fritz's bit exhaust (inc.manifold) on my 635 Highline and it sounds great. One of my M635s has the full system fitted
and I have the complete system on the rack ready to fit to my other M635.

Excellent system but you may need to clean up some of the welds. I had a word with Richard at Fritz's about this and he promised
to have a talk to his welder about it.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
Theantony

Post by Theantony »

ron wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:18 am I have a full Fritz's bit exhaust (inc.manifold) on my 635 Highline and it sounds great. One of my M635s has the full system fitted
and I have the complete system on the rack ready to fit to my other M635.

Excellent system but you may need to clean up some of the welds. I had a word with Richard at Fritz's about this and he promised
to have a talk to his welder about it.
I was looking at those. Do you have any film of the sound you could post would love to hear it. And has it increased performance as they state.

Cheers
Caff

Post by Caff »

Link to a post I just made on facebook
in car sound

https://m.facebook.com/groups/275705119 ... 9664219145