Cruise control bracket location?

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

plip1953

Cruise control bracket location?

Post by plip1953 »

A good many years ago I retrofitted cruise control to my '88 Highline.

Everything about it was simple enough except for where to attach the bracket in the engine bay that the actuator unit is attached to. I'm confident that the bracket I bought at the time (ringed in the pic) is the correct part, but for the life of me I have never been able to see where it attaches to the body of the car! A separate issue I think I might have is the actuator may well not physically be exactly the same shape at ones that would have been fitted at this time - for example, were they different on an E28, as I have a feeling that's what mine might have come from originally?

Any info or pics of installations would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Cruise control bracket.jpg
Cruise control bracket.jpg (92.81 KiB) Viewed 1888 times
Phil

1988 Highline 635 CSi
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Cruise control bracket location?

Post by ron »

Phil,

I had a lot of trouble retro-fitting mine. If the car came from the factory with cruise installed the actuator mounting bracket was welded to the inner wing. The retro bracket has three studs and the holes have to be drilled in the inner wing to suit.

The problem is there is a lot of equipment in that area which made it very difficult to trial fit. I had to remove and refit various items to ensure that nothing clashed.

The actuator is the same on the E28.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
plip1953

Re: Cruise control bracket location?

Post by plip1953 »

Thanks Ron. I was of course looking for something already there to fix the bracket to, but will now see if I can find a suitable position on the inner wing and maybe drill a few holes. That said, the tie wraps that have been holding the actuator in place for all these years seems to have done their job pretty well lol
Phil

1988 Highline 635 CSi