Exhaust re; ‘90 635-HL

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

alpina17

Exhaust re; ‘90 635-HL

Post by alpina17 »

:-k :-k
Hi all, I am looking for your recommendations for a back box/possibly piping to the manifold for a 1990 635 HL
Contrary to the norm, more interested in a deep throaty sound than performance, any suggestions appreciated.
Have read pages & pages but thought I’d try for personal opinions/experiences, car only taken out few times a year so economical/too loud etc doesn’t really apply.

Many thanks for any opinions/suggestions
Thanks Paul
(Ireland-‘90 635CSI)
e24 ~ e60 ~ e90
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Exhaust re; ‘90 635-HL

Post by jps635 »

If you're not bothered about noise then the world's your oyster

When I got my car the exhaust was rooted, so for a while - year or so, I ran with a single 2 into 1 edelbrock central muffler, back to twin pipes out the end. It was raucus and a hoot on short trips, would set off car alarms in narrow streets, but droned too much for my liking on linger trips so ended up with a fritz system.

If you really like the noise bring it out the side in front of the rear wheel aka some of the race cars of the day
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
Bhart
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Re: Exhaust re; ‘90 635-HL

Post by Bhart »

I bought the Ireland Engineering cat back system for my '87 M6. The two muffler, stainless steel system was nice and shiny but the center muffler would not fit properly so I left that out. I had a muffler shop make up two long connecting pipes between the cats and the rear muffler and it sounds great. Nice throaty idle, very aggressive sound under full throttle but fine at a cruise with no annoying drone. Cheap solution - cheaper if you just buy the rear section.
01/1987 M6

past Bimmers;
1970 2800CS
1988 325is
1985 325E