Conforti chip...thumbs up

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

emac

Conforti chip...thumbs up

Post by emac »

Installed a Conforti chip in my completely stock 87 M6 today. It really transformed the way the car drives. I dont feel any surging any more. Before, unless I was wide open throttle, it felt like it was changing fuel mix or timing trying to decide what to do. Now it is just sings no matter the throttle input. Seems to idle a bit better too. Well worth the money.

I remember many, many years ago we had an 83 535 that you could open the computer box and turn a dial a couple of clicks and it would advance the timing and richen the fuel mixture. I read about it in the Roundel magazine and did it on my Dads car. I recall my dad saying how it really helped wake it up. He always said it was lean surging and bitching about the EPA and emissions all the time back then! Learned a lot from him.
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Conforti chip...thumbs up

Post by Da_Hose »

My 87 came to me with a Conforti, so I have never known it to run anything but awesome. When I added Euro headers, and an A100 exhaust gear, the seat-o-the-pants dyno. said it picked a little more power, and pulls smoother/harder when it gets above 3500 RPM. Although, the end result is not coming alive until it is fully on cam.

Are you running stock injectors? I'm thinking of having mine cleaned/upgraded to the multi-hole pintles.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
emac

Post by emac »

As far as I know everything is stock.
FriendlyVolcano

Post by FriendlyVolcano »

Does anyone know how the Conforti chip compares to the Dinan chip I'd have in my '88 M6?
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

From what I recall, the Dinan and Conforti are pretty much the same. They also benefit from upgrading to an A100 (IIRC) exhaust gear out of the S14.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
635sharknose

Post by 635sharknose »

Sounds great, checked their website and they also supply it for my engine type.
Anybody installed this chip in a (1987) US model M30B34 (182 bhp)?
Would like to know if that is as good as the one on Emac's M6.
Paul
Instagram: @635sharknose
1987 635CSi Bronzitbeige
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

635sharknose wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:01 pm Sounds great, checked their website and they also supply it for my engine type.
Anybody installed this chip in a (1987) US model M30B34 (182 bhp)?
Would like to know if that is as good as the one on Emac's M6.
In my E28 ('87 535iS), I first tried a Turner/Conforti chip and then, because so many guys on another forum claim the D'Sylva (E.A.T.) chip is much better, I tried one of those. TBH I didn't notice a lot of difference, but I've left it in anyway.

Over 20 years ago when I bought my E24 ('85 635), I installed a Dinan chip in it, and have never felt a need to change.

I personally don't think there's a lot of difference between any of these quality aftermarket chips, but any of them is a good choice because they do add some power and increase the redline. Ideally you'd want to match it with a 3.64 - 3.91 diff to keep the engine in its power band more often; this combination is a relatively inexpensive way to make the car more entertaining to drive without getting involved in major (expensive) engine work like high-comp pistons, a cam, P&P head, etc.
1985 635CSi
1987 535is
1965 Impala SS
635sharknose

Post by 635sharknose »

Thanks for this information Larry.
I will dig into the Dinan chip + diff change a bit further, this might be a good option for me.
Paul
Instagram: @635sharknose
1987 635CSi Bronzitbeige