Starting after a long rebuild

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

635Oxford

Starting after a long rebuild

Post by 635Oxford »

Hi everyone

I am hoping someone might be able to help me with my current problem. I am nearing the finish of a very long rebuild, just over 19 years. The engine is now in place with fuel lines and electrics all connected. All fluids in place. I initially had a problem of no spark, so replaced both of the crank sensors. Magic really good spark from all plugs. I then started it for the first time. It started but did not sound as though it was firing on all cylinders. As the injectors were serviced a very long time ago I bought all new injectors, fitted them and tried again. This time i bursts into life but for a breif moment only then stalls. I have stripped the fuel supply area down and have the injectors suspended over the intakes. on the first spin no fuel at all so i removed no 5 injector and tested it off the engine it was a bit reluctant then started working. I put it back and tested again. No fuel spray. I disconnected the electrics from No 5 and magic all the other injectors had a spray pattern. Reconnected and again no fuel spray. I had disconnected the ignition before doing this. I have another new injector which I have put in the place o Number 5 but the battery was fully drained so it has been recharging all today. I have therefore been unable to test with the new injector in place et.
Does anyone have an idea what has been going on?
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Starting after a long rebuild

Post by hornhospital »

Test the #5 injector harness with a noid light. My guess is not only is it not pulsing, but it's killing the other five injector wiring sets.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
635Oxford

Post by 635Oxford »

Thanks I will try that. I might come back to you to check on what a noid light is if i can't find out. If what you suspect is the case, is that a Harness thing or DME?
635Oxford

Post by 635Oxford »

I have ordered my noid light kit and will start testing when it arrives, however with the other new injector in place at No5 all other injectors are working with a spray pattern.The No 5 injector sadly is not. I will have to trace the problem and sort. Would it help to use a multimeter to check for a voltage on cranking and comparing it with the other injector outputs?
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

https://forum.bmw5.co.uk/topic/31961-e2 ... ing-guide/

There is some excellent info on here, not least the hi-performance link at the bottom of p1 which is systematic and thorough.

Good luck! I've been rebuilding mine for a shorter period and will no doubt have a few issues when it's time to fire her up.

Cheers,

Rob
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
635Oxford

Post by 635Oxford »

Thanks Rob I will check that out. Good luck with your start up.
Chris
635Oxford

Post by 635Oxford »

Just a quick update on the fuel injectors. I spent time investigating yesterday. I haven't got my noid light kit yet, but I measured the resistance on all the injectors both new and old they were all around the 2.6-2.9 Ohms apart from one I got from China which was 15.4 Ohms. This was the Injector I swapped in to replace the the No 5 new injector which stopped all the others working. The Injector with the higher resistance did not interfere with the proper working of the other injectors, but did not produce a spray pattern. I then swapped in an old injector which worked together with the other injectors.
I contacted the supplier of the 6 new injectors and they will replace what appears to be a faulty one. I may well have this sorted, but I won't rebuild everything until I have the new operating injector in place.
I will give a further update after fitting and testing.