Clutch pedal, master and slave cylinder

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

mcmimber

Clutch pedal, master and slave cylinder

Post by mcmimber »

Looking for some answers...

A few weeks back on a local neighborhood drive my 83 633csi (build date 9/82) left me walking the last few miles back, after the clutch pedal dipped to floor and never returned.

After a brief tow and a few weeks waiting on various parts, I have completed a replacement of slave and master cylinder along with its attending hard aluminum line hose and rubber pressurized hose connecting master to cylinder; as well as rubber hose connecting brake reservoir to back of master cylinder in footwell.

Problem is, I still have no pressure in the clutch pedal. No fluid comes out of the bleed hole in slave cylinder after several manual actuations of clutch pedal.

Tanks are topped off with fluid.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated

Mcmimber
Ralph in Socal Online
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Clutch pedal, master and slave cylinder

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Best to use a pressure bleeder and uninstall the slave from the transmission so that you can point the bleeder tip up

I’ve been successful in using a pressure bleeder and loosening the line fitting at the slave cylinder and then performed effectIve bleeding at that spot. Rag to catch fluid coming out, tighten the fitting and all was good. Good luck

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

Something I haven't tried, but that I think would work well is using a vacuum bleeder at the reservoir.

The idea would be to vacuum bleed at the slave cylinder, then fashion an adapter from a spare brake reservoir cap so you could apply vacuum at the master cylinder. A bleeder doesn't create huge vacuum, but I think it could be enough to draw the air out of the clutch slave.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
mcmimber

Post by mcmimber »

Thank you 86_6series.

The video you posted worked perfectly.