Shifter Rebuild

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

clipper47

Shifter Rebuild

Post by clipper47 »

The shifter on my 6/85 635CSi is becoming a difficult to shift and as a winter project I am thinking of replacing as many of the bushings and worn parts that I can. My car has the steel shifter plate. I have read on the mye28.com board that the shifter can be removed from the car without removing the driveshaft by releasing it from the shifter shaft and turning the whole mechanism round the DS. It sure would be nice to do the rebuild on the work bench and not from beneath the car while on my back on concrete floor. Has anyone who has changed the shifter linkage bushings been able to remove the shifter, plate and all by this method or will be ncessary to remove the exhaust and DS and push it aside enough to reach the components.
With the US/ Canada closed due to Covid my US pick up point is inaccessible and shipping charges are very pricey so I may have to wait to order parts. I dont want to go to a dealer and parts are otherwise not available here.
Dave
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Shifter Rebuild

Post by Ralph in Socal »

It can be done easily. Allen head bolts typically hold the shift console plate to the transmission tail. 8 mm tool size. You’ll likely have to remove the shift knob but the shifter can stay with the console

It also helps to create clearance by allowing the trans to drop down slightly by removing the Crossmember. Good luck

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
clipper47

Re: Shifter Rebuild

Post by clipper47 »

Ralph, Thanks for the quick response. Will removing the shifter plate give access to the rod joint at the front of the linkage? I will give it a try once the car is finally parked for winter.
Dave