MTC Parts

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

clipper47

MTC Parts

Post by clipper47 »

While searching to buy parts to refresh the manual shifter on my 1985 635CSi I see that some of the online suppliers offer the shift rod joint for something like $16 while the OEM part is about $80. I generally stay clear of the Uro parts and try to stick with OEM suppliers like Bosch or Sachs etc. Has anyone had any experience with MTC (Mission Trading Company ) parts good or bad? The price difference is very substantail on this item.
Dave
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: MTC Parts

Post by hornhospital »

The few MTC parts I've been foolish enough to buy turned out to be worth just what I paid for them. In particular the heater valve. Total garbage.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
clipper47

Post by clipper47 »

Thanks, best go OEM although the parts looks pretty simple. I don't want to replace that shifter rod joint twice in my lifetime!
Dave

Post by Jlc »

clipper47 wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:43 pm Thanks, best go OEM although the parts looks pretty simple. I don't want to replace that shifter rod joint twice in my lifetime!
I'll second that. My dad was a mechanic, which explains my obsession with working on old cars and think walking around a salvage yard scrounging for parts is a great way to spend a day, and his philosophy was "Buy quality, by once, buy cheap and buy, buy, buy and cry." I've inherited his tools, and they wil be passed on to his grandkids and their kids. For me, their's nothing like holding a vintage SnapOn, Mac or USA made Craftsman, knowing it was made by a company that valued quality and craftsmanship over price.

It's a philosophy I've passed on to my kids, and one my wife appreciates when I buy quality appliance for the home. TCO is a real consideration, as well as the time and aggravation that comes from buying cheap.
85 635CSi Bronzit
clipper47

Post by clipper47 »

JLc, Couldn't agree more. I have Craftsman USA socket sets ,wrenches and also some SnapOn and Blue Point as well that I have owned and used for 50 years.
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low prices are forgotten.” ~Benjamin Franklin.
Dave