Instrument cluster mph jumping slightly. 635 csi 87 rhd

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

DAMO998

Instrument cluster mph jumping slightly. 635 csi 87 rhd

Post by DAMO998 »

Good morning.. after doing a lot of investigation into my instrument cluster, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a uk company that will test ,replace batteries bulbs etc on my cluster. Everything works. But last couple of months mph needle has started to jump around ,not much. Car won't stay in cruise control when it starts playing up.. surely there must be a company in uk to refurb instrument cluster. .... I would like batteries to be changed also. I've seen a couple of companies across the water, but surely there must be someone in uk to diagnose if the issue is with the cluster, before i get an auto electrician out. I've had cluster out a few times, to check connectors, tested on axle stands in drive , and moved connector about to see if it would change anything. . Diff pulse sensor out, cleaned. Connectors checked. Hey ho. . For the love of cars eh? All the best .. thanks for reading.
Last edited by DAMO998 on Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Instrument cluster mph jumping slightly. 635 csi

Post by 86_6series »

Not knowing what year, US -Euro if it's the early cable drive-most likely the cable.
If it's electronic most likely the pulse generator has metal filings on the magnetic tip confusing the signal.
Remove and clean the generator and things should go back to normal until it gets clogged again.

I suggest a gear oil change as well.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=33_0112
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
DAMO998

Re: Instrument cluster mph jumping slightly. 635 csi 87 rhd

Post by DAMO998 »

Good evening , thanks for your reply. New pulse generator to collect tomorrow.. I did have the old one out, Cleaned. .. examined, looks like a very small crack in it.. so thought best to replace. .. regards..
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Instrument cluster mph jumping slightly. 635 csi 87 rhd

Post by 86_6series »

I hope that solves the problem.
Good luck.
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3