SRS Module Help

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

samer0214

SRS Module Help

Post by samer0214 »

The SRS light in my '89 comes on almost immediately after starting the car up. I had my indy try to reset it for me last week, and he couldn't. He seems to think that the SRS module is "fried".

Any ideas on how to diagnose this, and find out if in fact the module is shot?
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

on many cars the SRS module is checked for voltage at start-up. The SRS module contains a capacitor that will power the system for a split second should the power be disconnected during an accident. When the key is turned to II the capacitor is charged, and it is then checked for voltage on many systems.

Since the volts drop a lot when the starter cranks, if for some reason the capacitor isn't charged the test can be failed. Most often this happens if one cell is going bad in the battery.

On one car I had I could reset the fault codes (which were multiple and read total system failure BTW) and they would return; but if I left the ignition on II for a few seconds before cranking it it never came back.

A new battery sorted it out completely.

The 6er system may have a similar characteristic, worth a look, I'd say.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The Sixer Kid

Post by The Sixer Kid »

I could never get mine sorted after it was involved in an accident so put I piece of electrical tape over it and Voila! problem solved
samer0214

Post by samer0214 »

Thanks Brucey,

My battery is fine, so I don't think this is the issue. My indie said he could not "get into" the SRS module to even read any faults, and that's why he suspects that the module needs to be replaced.

Does this sound right? What would cause a module to go bad, and hoe to actually test it?
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

BMW will have a test procedure for this; I'll check a manual I have to see if there is anything that can be done without the 'gizmo' for it.

It may be that the easiest test for you is that old favourite 'known good substitution'. This can get expensive if you have to buy the bits though....

Do bear in mind that a bad connection (in say, the bottom of the fuse box, a notorious spot) could cause the 'bad battery' symptoms too; best check the 12 volts are holding up at the unit itself before assuming all is well with the live feed; same goes for the ground connections too.

sorry I can't be of more help

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tommys 89 635

Post by Tommys 89 635 »

About a year ago, the D light went out on my conductor plate which is located behind the instrument cluster so I thought I would save some money on a few hours labor and change it myself. Everything went well and I felt good about the job but low and behold the SRS light was on and I retraced my steps and everything looked good. I spoke to a few people and told them what I did and they said that the airbag sensor was disturbed. A friend of mine tired to reset it and no dice. I dropped off my car at my mechanic, I gave them all the details on what I did and they spent some time retracing what I did and everything looked ok. They were able to reset it by jumping something. I forget how but at that point I was a bit bummed because I could had the conductor plate changed and saved some time and money on headaches.

Basically when you turn your key to the on position, the SRS scans the airbag system and makes sure everything works, ie: airbag, crash sensors, relays, blah blah blah...

I did have to lower the steering column maybe 2-3 inches to get to the conductor plate and that may have been enough to disrupt the SRS system.

You should probably go to a BMW specialty shop and let them take a look or as what Brucey said maybe go to the dealer and have them perform the test and save the headaches.

Sorry I forgot the fix.
As what Brucy said
Last edited by Tommys 89 635 on Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy
1989 635 CSI (Second owner since Jun 1995, driven daily and retired in 2013 with 295k to occasional driving)
2011 335D (Daily driver) with 103,550
Tommys 89 635

Post by Tommys 89 635 »

About a year ago, the D light went out on my conductor plate which is located behind the instrument cluster so I thought I would save some money on a few hours labor and change it myself. Everything went well and I felt good about the job but low and behold the SRS light was on and I retraced my steps and everything looked good. I spoke to a few people and told them what I did and they said that the airbag sensor was disturbed. A friend of mine tired to reset it and no dice. I dropped off my car at my mechanic, I gave them all the details on what I did and they spent some time retracing what I did and everything looked ok. They were able to reset it by jumping something. I forget how but at that point I was a bit bummed because I could had the conductor plate changed and saved some time and money on headaches.

Basically when you turn your key to the on position, the SRS scans the airbag system and makes sure everything works, ie: airbag, crash sensors, relays, blah blah blah...

I did have to lower the steering column maybe 2-3 inches to get to the conductor plate and that may have been enough to disrupt the SRS system.

You should probably go to a BMW specialty shop and let them take a look or as what Brucey said maybe go to the dealer and have them perform the test and save the headaches.

Sorry I forgot the fix.
As what Brucy said
Last edited by Tommys 89 635 on Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy
1989 635 CSI (Second owner since Jun 1995, driven daily and retired in 2013 with 295k to occasional driving)
2011 335D (Daily driver) with 103,550
clayjo

Post by clayjo »

So I just had a new ignition installed and now my SRS light stays on.
(US model 1988 635)

Mechanic tried he reset tool with no luck. And the SRS light is reading a 1-1-2-1 code but there is no listing as to what the fault may be.
clayjo

Post by clayjo »

My retired ex-mechanic states that

" The SRS system wasn't hooked up to the diagnostic socket. Your mechanic needs to access the plug that powers the SRS module under the dash and follow the directions on a BMW service bulletin to clear the code. "

Does anybody have this procedure to clear late 6 model SRS airbag codes?
clayjo

Post by clayjo »

apparently the answer can be found here......hopefully somebody has this?!

"*Please note that some E24 and E30 vehicles do not have the SRS integrated into the diagnostic plug. Please refer to
BMW Technical Service Bulletin # 04 29 91 (3446) for information on reading and resetting these vehicles."
clayjo

Post by clayjo »

bump
clayjo

Post by clayjo »

monthly bump.

Somebody has got know how to turn this SRS light off.
clayjo

turning off the SRS light

Post by clayjo »

Does anybody have the BMW TIS discs?

OR can translate this for me?

"What I remember is that you connect the TXD, RXD, power and ground to the correct pins on the diagnostic plug of the scan tool and you can communicate with the airbag module. This has to be done right at the module plug so the lower dash panel has to be removed."
Chris Wright

Re: turning off the SRS light

Post by Chris Wright »

clayjo wrote:Does anybody have the BMW TIS discs?

OR can translate this for me?

"What I remember is that you connect the TXD, RXD, power and ground to the correct pins on the diagnostic plug of the scan tool and you can communicate with the airbag module. This has to be done right at the module plug so the lower dash panel has to be removed."
I don't think we are ignoring you ..... just no information. I dug through the factory CD and found nothing as well as some Service Bulletin Micro fiche that I have, and again, nothing.

I can tell you that TXD = Transmit Data line (or pin) and RXD = Receive Data line (or pin).
jumbee
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by jumbee »

Bump...does anybody know how to turn the SRS light off. I have this problem. Battery was kinda weak and wouldn't start car. Gave it a few weak cranks to no avail. So I attached jumpers from 325 and started car. Now SRS light will not go off. Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
88 635i
87 325iC
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Here is a link to the Factory diagnosis of the SRS:
http://www.normgrills.net/bcg/SRS.html

Here are some links to quick fixes of the SRS:
http://www.normgrills.net/bcg/Electrica ... hor2172359
http://www.normgrills.net/bcg/Steering_ ... -SRS-49575
jumbee
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by jumbee »

Thanks Chris....I'll try today and see what happens
88 635i
87 325iC
jumbee
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by jumbee »

Success...used the first quick fix which required disconnecting (a) negative on battery then (b) disconnecting the two orange connectors in engine compartment...then (c) disconnecting the 3 plugs under the right side of dash from the SRS control module.
Reconnected all the plugs and battery...cranked and SRS light did not remain on.
Thanks Chris
88 635i
87 325iC
FriendlyVolcano

Re: SRS Module Help

Post by FriendlyVolcano »

I just did the same maneuver which also worked, except I only disconnected the orange connectors on the left and right fender sides.

The ancient plastic of the orange connectors were crumbling in my hands, so if you do it, make sure you have some electrical tape handy to hold them together after you put them back together.