FUEL PUMP RELAY

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

JohnP

FUEL PUMP RELAY

Post by JohnP »

A couple of months ago my 635 suffered a very brief loss of power. A couple of days ago, the problem reoccurred and the car stopped. After a short wait, it re-started but would run only for a short distance - before a final halt!

The problem turned out to be a faulty fuel pump relay (located just in front of the fuse box) - ?4.73.

Might help someone with similar problems.

JohnP
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

mine did something similar a few months back. Turned out it was dirty contacts on the relay. Cleaned 'em up, good as new again.....

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Fuel relay

Post by ron »

Remove relay and give contacts a good squirt of contact cleaner then work the relay into the socket a few times.Normally cures it.It is worth doing this to all electrical connections throughout the car.It's amazing the difference.
KC Ron Carter

Hmm,

Post by KC Ron Carter »

Here is a diagram for the lurkers to show the issue.

Later,
dobleo7

Re: Hmm,

Post by dobleo7 »

KC Ron Carter wrote:Here is a diagram for the lurkers to show the issue.

Later,
Hello there....just a quick question: I am unable to see the diagram you posted of the exact location of the fuel pump relay. There are three relays located in front of the fuse box and I was wondering if you could send the pic indicating which one of those would be the nasty culprit of my no start condition. THanks
sean
KC Ron Carter

Locating the fuel pump relay

Post by KC Ron Carter »

OK, the relay location can be moved.

The best method of locating the fuel relay is by looking at the color coding of the wires on the bottom of connector.

Fuel pump relay uses 4 each wires

30.Red= Power in from battery 1.5 in size the largest of the wires
86.Red/White= Power from main relay
85.Brown/Green = Control in the ECU pin 20
87.Green/ Violet = Power to fuse 11 and o2 sensor relay

Main Relay uses 5 each wires

30.Red = Power in from battery 1.5 in size the largest of the wires
86.Green = In from the OBC relay
85.Brown = Ground
87.Blue/Red = Pin 35 on ECU ignition power
87.Red/White = Power to injectors and to fuel pump relay

The o2 sensor uses 4 wires

30.Green/Yellow = Power from fuse 9
87.Green/Violet = Power from fuel pump relay
85.Gray/Brown = Pin 31 on ECU for control
86.Green/Blue = Power to o2 sensor

Here is a picture, not very good or accurate.

Later,
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

KC Ron,

What year is your written discription referring to?

If you switch the two descriptions for pin 86 and 87 on the O2 Sensor, your written description matches my '87 wiring diagram exactly.

What year car is the pictured diagram for?

Where did you find this diagram? I have one like it for an '87 that I got out of a Mitchells Manual. i was wondering if there was another source out there for wiring diagrams like this. As opposed to the BMW style like the ones that are online.
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Just as an additional to the above;

The diagram for the main relay is, as an electrical drawing, correct where it shows two outputs (both labelled 87) from one contact arm in the relay; however, this is not physically correct - inside the relay there are TWO contacts, one for each 87 terminal, and sometimes, just sometimes, those contacts will wear or deteriorate and only one of the contacts will make, giving you dashboard lights, ability to turn the engine over and.......no power to the motronic and no starting :evil:

Please don't ask me how I know - my therapist says i'm still recovering and it's best not to drag it up too often.

Moral - check power at BOTH 87 terminals at the bottom of the relay

HTH someone

Sharkfan
Lymond

Post by Lymond »

I also am still recovering from a mis diagnosed fuel pump relay failure, and the fact that BMW does not list the proper relay for an M6 (at least in Canada they dont)