Coolant leak....., can't find source....

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

UKDaveJ

Coolant leak....., can't find source....

Post by UKDaveJ »

My '84 635 chrome bumper has developed a coolant leak - well, put it this way I've had steam out of the bonnet this evening & the sound of fluid dripping onto the exhaust......

I can't find the source.

Where I think it is leaking is the back of the engine. There is a hose there, but i can't see any water leaking from there.

The steam appeared to be coming from the back of the engine, or more precisely the cylinder head/close to the bulkhead.

I shall have another look when the engine has cooled down with a hinged small circular mirror on a telescopic aerial tool I've had for years.

In the meantime, anyone got any ideas as to what it could be from my description?

Cheers,

Dave 8)

Now the engine has cooled down I'm suspicious of the coolant hose that runs to/from the cylinder head, at the back of the head/engine which is only a few inches from the rear engine bulkhead.

It looks a bitch to change!

The other end of the suspect hose goes to what I believe is the heating regulator, this hose is about 12-14 inches long.
Hand access is well, tight to put it mildly.

I reckon I could get the hose off, but with the tight hand access I have my doubts as to whether I could make the original connections, but then again when originally built the hose must have been put on whilst the engine was in the bay?! Not before.

Will enquire of Motormech tomorrow for a replacement hose - I can't see what the hell else could possibly cause the coolant leak from that vicinity!

Dave :roll:
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

Run up your CD-ROM diagrams. Then drain out the coolant and replace every single hose you can afford to.

That's what I did last time.
UKDaveJ

Money no object, not me, problem isolation for me!

Post by UKDaveJ »

horsetan wrote:Run up your CD-ROM diagrams. Then drain out the coolant and replace every single hose you can afford to.

That's what I did last time.
Not a bad idea, although I prefer to try & identify problems & then cure.

In this case I'm 99% sure it is water hose inlet 1, p/no 64 21 13 68 714
It runs from the water valve. The above part no is listed as from 05/82 - 04/84, so cover my 84 car!
Although it also lists (ETK) 64 21 13 68 715 which is listed as from being from 05/82.

slightly confusing, will have a chat with Motormech Andy tomorrow.

Dave :roll:
UKDaveJ

Sorting my coolant leak....

Post by UKDaveJ »

Have emailed a list of a few bits & pieces over to Andy at Motormech.

Hopefully he'll be back in touch later today.

I also need a new 'water valve' on the Highline, it never seems to get as warm (inside the cabin) as the 84 car, so guess from reading stuff on this site that this may be the route cause - I gather its like a thermostat so to speak!

Will update when I hear more.

Dave 8)
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Coolant leak

Post by ron »

Dave, There is a filter inside the heater valve that clogs up.If you take the valve off the car and undo the four screws the valve comes apart.The filter is like a mesh cone.
UKDaveJ

Re: Coolant leak

Post by UKDaveJ »

ron wrote:Dave, There is a filter inside the heater valve that clogs up.If you take the valve off the car and undo the four screws the valve comes apart.The filter is like a mesh cone.
Sorry Ron, maybe I'm being thick... :roll: , but are you suggesting I remove the whole set-up from the bulkhead, or just the four fixings on the top of the valve assembly?

Yours, slightly confused... :?

Dave 8)
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Coolant leak

Post by ron »

Just the valve,it's held on with 2 bolts and 2 hoses (and the plug)
UKDaveJ

Post by UKDaveJ »

ron wrote:Just the valve,it's held on with 2 bolts and 2 hoses (and the plug)
Ok, so the whole fitting stays attached to the bulkhead, I would only be taking out the guts, so to speak?

Cheers,
Dave
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Coolant leak

Post by ron »

It's easier to take the valve off the bulkhead and strip it on the bench(kitchen table etc.)
UKDaveJ

Post by UKDaveJ »

ron wrote:It's easier to take the valve off the bulkhead and strip it on the bench(kitchen table etc.)
Cheers Ron! :D

Will add it to my list!

Have been trying to change a CV boot on young Chris's Renault 5, bugger of a job, especially if you've not done it before - like me :evil:

Dave 8)