Timing Chain (Again)

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

TimS

Timing Chain (Again)

Post by TimS »

All

The wisdom in the UK is that the single row timing chain in the M88 engine should be replaced at 100K miles. On a 5 series forum it has been suggested that the chain tensioner guides are nylon and can deteriorate with age as well as mileage. I assume that the duplex chain used in the US engines also has nylon guides. So is there a record of these guides breaking up on the much greater number of these engines in the US? Mine is 23 years old with 54K and I am now thinking about replacing the chain and guides.

Regards Tim
ApexM635CSi

Post by ApexM635CSi »

Tim,

I had my single row timing chain replaced with a double row last year at 119k on my '85 Euro M88. The chain was in bad shape as were the old guides and tensioner. Do not recall the make of the new guides as I had a local shop do the work among other things.

Will check to see if they are aware of any history on the double row guides.

Mark
88m53453

Post by 88m53453 »

oem is the only supplier, to convert is about 1000 USD
TimS

Post by TimS »

Thank

I have heard that changing to a double row chain is very difficult/expensive. 1000 USD, I would expect it to cost ?3000 here in the UK, if you could find anyone to do it. I guess I will replace the chain/tensioner, not much doubt in my mind now that its not just a mileage issue. I read Todd Kenyon's write up, going to get some quotes before I think about trying it at home.

Regards Tim
Old_School

Post by Old_School »

$1000 including parts is probably optimistic. I've heard $2k just for the R&R of the existing setup, and that the conversion requires some modifications.

Converting may not be necessary though. The single row chain is strong enough, and the R&R, even if you believe the 100k miles claim, isn't that frequent (unless you daily drive it - even then, it's not that often).

I have to do one of mine in the spring (should have done it last year). I'm sticking with the original.
88m53453

Post by 88m53453 »

1000 is for parts. It isn't miles that kill the plastic guide as much as time. The guide gets brittle and breaks and kills the valve train, FWIW, I've probably done more of these in the past 5 years than anyone in the country. Currently am doing an m635 chain conversion and am just finishing an e34 m5 job. Both guides broke when removed
gt40mk2

Timing chain thread re-visit

Post by gt40mk2 »

88m53453 wrote:1000 is for parts. It isn't miles that kill the plastic guide as much as time. The guide gets brittle and breaks and kills the valve train, FWIW, I've probably done more of these in the past 5 years than anyone in the country. Currently am doing an m635 chain conversion and am just finishing an e34 m5 job. Both guides broke when removed
(4 years later) Is there a general recommend in the air?

I've a '79 Euro 635, 165000 km./102000 miles
1979 Euro E24
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Timing chain thread re-visit

Post by Pod »

gt40mk2 wrote:
88m53453 wrote:1000 is for parts. It isn't miles that kill the plastic guide as much as time. The guide gets brittle and breaks and kills the valve train, FWIW, I've probably done more of these in the past 5 years than anyone in the country. Currently am doing an m635 chain conversion and am just finishing an e34 m5 job. Both guides broke when removed
(4 years later) Is there a general recommend in the air?

I've a '79 Euro 635, 165000 km./102000 miles
These issues are only with the S38/M88 engines. The "ordinary" engines will just about go on for ever without changing the chain.
gt40mk2

Re: Timing chain thread re-visit

Post by gt40mk2 »

Pod wrote:These issues are only with the S38/M88 engines. The "ordinary" engines will just about go on for ever without changing the chain.
OKAY.

You know I think I'll - uh - accept that answer.

Thanks. Bye!!
1979 Euro E24
World-Class6

Post by World-Class6 »

I always keep a good open eye on these threads to learn as much as I can. I know one day, I will have to do it, well, I mean pay someone to perform the work and labor rather.
85 M635 Schwarz (Found a new home in L.A.)
95 MBZ E36 AMG Coupe widebody Polar White
88 BMW E28 535is White
2000 Jaguar XJR Anthracite
2016 GMC Sierra Double Cab SLT- All Terrain Black
-------------------------------------------------------