Poly bushes for our E24s

Please add any links you have found that are useful to the group. Please submit why this link is helpful and a short description.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

horsetan

Poly bushes for our E24s

Post by horsetan »

:arrow: Click here

Virtually complete set of all the poly bushes for replacement of shagged original rubber items.

Compatible with E28 5-series also.
Godwin Lawrence

Poly bushes

Post by Godwin Lawrence »

Hi Horsetan,

I also have come across this site and priced up for all the bushings the do for our car (?600 +). :(

My interest stems from the fact that i am currently have my car in for an inspection II serivce and the rear subframe bushes and front upper and lower control arm bushes need replacing.

Talking to the two BMW mechanics we came to the conclusion the if all where fitted to the car and a alignment carried out, the ride would be noticably stiffer, BUT would also lead to increased wear/stresses to other areas of the car.

Seems a might expensive for something that as far as i am concerned the jury is still out on Poly bushes (Longevity and cost).

Do you have stock or poly bushes?

What do you think of adding uretane to stock bushes?

Maybe we should have a poll if it hasn;t been done before.

Regards
Godwin Lawrence
horsetan

Re: Poly bushes

Post by horsetan »

Godwin Lawrence wrote:....Do you have stock or poly bushes?
Neither, 'cos I'm an awkward shite :lol: .

Mine are Meyle "heavy duty" bushes, which were originally meant for the E32 Seven Series, but have been milled down slightly to fit into E24 arms.

Do a search on eBay - a few helpful US stockists sell them specifically for our E24s, and they are worth having. Ye can opt either for just the milled-down bushes, or ye can buy 'em ready-fitted in brand-new control arms.
What do you think of adding urethane to stock bushes?
If ye have any plans to upgrade / stiffen the suspension, then polyurethane will probably be the way. They don't degrade like standard rubber ones do. They will work quite well with slightly lowered springs and Bilstein sports dampers. Ye might also want to install strut braces in front, and maybe in the rear as well - I think this is what your mechanics are referring to.

Handling will then be unrecognisable from what you had before!

If your plan is merely to stick to better-than-standard, but using BMW / BMW-approved parts, then try the Meyle bush route. I combined these with the springs and dampers from the M635CSi, when I had a suspension conversion done over two years ago. Handling has been that much more direct for me.
Godwin Lawrence

Post by Godwin Lawrence »

Mine are Meyle "heavy duty" bushes, which were originally meant for the E32 Seven Series, but have been milled down slightly to fit into E24 arms.
Yep, I read about these when i first got her (Sue Ellen) and think i will go for the milled bushes. I have a set of the blue poly bushes from Grunt's,(Upper and lower contro,l arm bushes) but my mechanics are sceptical. I guess i will out them on eBay.
They will work quite well with slightly lowered springs and Bilstein sports dampers. Ye might also want to install strut braces in front, and maybe in the rear as well - I think this is what your mechanics are referring to.
I dont know whether or not (When finaces allow) to fit either Mason Engineering or Racing Dynamic front strut braces.

The rear stut would be nice as you guess i want the car to be stock ++
They will work quite well with slightly lowered springs and Bilstein sports dampers. Ye might also want to install strut braces in front, and maybe in the rear as well
I will look into upgrading to the M6 spring and damper if its not to difficlut an upgrade (How much labour for mechainc to fit, if i where to supply parts)?

Thanks for you're input, i had better start saving.

Regards,

G.

:-)
Godwin Lawrence
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

Godwin Lawrence wrote:.....I will look into upgrading to the M6 spring and damper if its not to difficult an upgrade (How much labour for mechainc to fit, if i where to supply parts)?
Cost me ?500 in labour.

The big problem is that ye can't use the larger anti-roll bars from the M635CSi unless ye're prepared to move the mounting points for the front pair and do a bit of welding. I also found the rear bar fouled the differential casing.

That's why I couldn't fit the bars, and am now slowly saving towards bars from Whiteline, which use the standard mounting points.