LED lighting ideas

Please add any links you have found that are useful to the group. Please submit why this link is helpful and a short description.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

horsetan

LED lighting ideas

Post by horsetan »

LEDCAR

If you're reading this, Klaus, this may be of particular interest to you :!: :wink:
horsetan

...and here's an interesting UK supplier

Post by horsetan »

UltraLEDS

Interestingly, they do have a LED flasher relay in stock which is compatible with BMWs.....
horsetan

Replacements

Post by horsetan »

....and see Autolumination for "Light Tower II" LED replacement cluster bulbs.
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

....and THIS for long-life illumination of your OBC
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

This Forum on HID Planet is fascinating. Might be able to solve those LED wiring glitches here.
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

This eBay shop sometimes has stocks of SuperFlux LEDs
Horsetan

LED project - initial results

Post by Horsetan »

I've been away from the Forum so long that my access was deleted, and my oul passwords and details no longer work. I can't even update my Members' Gallery page.

Still, the oul Six soldiers on in its 31st year, a little rustier than before (sure I'll be competing with Brucey for the rust title now), but still passing the annual MoT without too much trouble. Loads of "small" jobs to do on it though.

Anyway, after about 10 years slowly working on the LED project, I've seen LED technology take considerable advances. These created their own headaches as plans had to be revised.

When I started, the most suitable LEDs for outdoor / automotive use were the plain 5mm Toshiba "extreme brightness" ones, but these were soon superseded by the square superflux type as used on the Mercedes W220 S-Class and BMW's facelifted E46 coupes.

The game then moved on again, and the current state of play now relies on very small, but unfeasibly bright, SMD LEDs. Aston Martin use these in the tail lights of their cars, cleverly angled to shine onto an angled reflector to give a more consistent appearance.

Also, the aftermarket is now blessed with far better LED "bulb" replacements than there used to be, and all now rely on SMDs. With the best ones now cramming anything from 50 to 120 SMDs into a space not much bigger than the traditional filament bulb, there would seem to be not much point in pursuing a custom project. However, their effectiveness / ability to give a consistent, visible light pattern really depends on what sort of reflector bowls your car has. On the E24, we are helped by simple shapes - mostly rectangular.

In my oul Six, I started with the indicators / turn signals, as they are not linked to the "Check Control" unit.

The flasher relay (which ye'll find mounted in a cradle under the steering column) was simply swapped with a red-capped, LED-compatible one. These have a slightly slower flash rate (about the same as on some of the LED-equipped London buses here), and they are silent - no "ticking" or "bleeping" sounds.

Each turn signal now has 92 amber SMD LEDs in it - arranged radially to make use of the existing reflector surfaces. The results are on YouTube - click here

The videos for the front indicators were somewhat overshadowed due to the shade of some very big trees, but I found that the LEDs were still visible even in direct sunlight. That has got to be a good thing. In my experiment, they came out much brighter than the ordinary bulb.

NOTE: My Six passed the MoT this month with these installed, so there's no bar to yis using them universally.

Best of all, even if - and let's face it, most of us have it - the car wiring is really elderly, these LEDs are not greatly affected. All that's needed is some sort of current coming through; the LEDs require very little of it.

To use an overworked phrase, they are "the gift that keeps on giving".

I'm now seeing what will go into the brake, tail and rear fogs, as well as the reversing lights.
Finally6

Post by Finally6 »

That is good information, I have mulled the idea in the past but was a little timid in moving forward with it. I like you have been away, lo and behold I lost all my info and pictures... :shock:
Horsetan

Post by Horsetan »

Finally6 wrote:......like you have been away, lo and behold I lost all my info and pictures... :shock:
'Tis a real pisser.

I have ordered some more SMD LEDs now.
Horsetan

UPDATE

Post by Horsetan »

OK so, the brake light LEDs are now installed. Think I may have over-egged the pudding, as the light output now definitely hurts the oul retina :shock:
Finally6

Post by Finally6 »

You have any pictures??
Horsetan

Post by Horsetan »

Finally6 wrote:You have any pictures??
I'll get some short video clips done.
Attachments
Brake lights now converted to SMD LEDs
Brake lights now converted to SMD LEDs
WP_20130828_006.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 19009 times
Horsetan

Video uploaded

Post by Horsetan »

YouTube video clip here

As there was only one of me taking this, it was not possible to apply the brake pedal "remotely" but, as yis can see, the ability of the SMD LEDs to completely fill the brake light section with very strong light output is not in dispute!
jpr210

Post by jpr210 »

Bright indeed. did your control panel register a fault with the rear lights after the LED substitution?

Thanks

Jpr
Chris Wright

Re: UPDATE

Post by Chris Wright »

Horsetan wrote:OK so, the brake light LEDs are now installed. Think I may have over-egged the pudding, as the light output now definitely hurts the oul retina :shock:
Welcome back Horsetan! =D>

Are these commercial LED's that replace the standard bulbs or are they individual LED's you have mounted to a board?

Any instructions on how you made them, Resistors used etc.? Any Photos of the bulbs/board?
Horsetan

Post by Horsetan »

jpr210 wrote:Bright indeed. did your control panel register a fault with the rear lights after the LED substitution?
Yes, but there is a way of modifying the Check Control to rectify that. Click here