Help Support Bigcoupe.com

1984 633CSi Rises again!

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: bfons, GRNSHRK, ron

songzunhuang
Bigcoupe supporter

Shock adjustment & IAC cleanup

Post by songzunhuang » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:56 am

Just because I can't leave things alone, I decided to try out a few things that have been bugging me. First there's my rough idle. I can't think of anything else to check except my Idle Air Controller. I have taken this out before to make sure it wasn't frozen shut. Also, I have disconnected it while running and noticed that it'll idle faster when disconnected. That tells me it's not completely busted, but still, I have a rough idle and my idle seems fast at between 800-1000 rpm. So I took it all apart and cleaned everything I could reach. I made sure the part inside was moving about, I sprayed MAF cleaner and moved around the plunger thing. Cleaned the throttle body very well and then assembled it all. It seems a bit better, but only the driving over the next weeks will tell for sure.
IMG_6031.JPG
Cleaning out the IAC
IMG_6031.JPG (117.1 KiB) Viewed 82 times
Next, I've always thought my car's rear could be raised a bit. I've got Bilsteins in the rear that has an adjustable clip that can go in one of 6 positions. When I installed the HR springs, I chose the "middle". The car's stance is dead flat. I wanted to see how it looked and felt if the rear was raised a bit. I have put this off because it was such a pain the remove the shocks just to adjust it. So, I had a hairbrained idea. What if I could adjust this while the shocks were still on the car? I tried spring compressors, but there was no way I could compress enough of the spring to make it work. After much futzing around, I had an idea.
IMG_6034.JPG
Quickest way to adjust your sprint height!
IMG_6034.JPG (100.4 KiB) Viewed 82 times
I put the car on jack stands, removed the wheels and used the floor jack to compress the suspension.
Then, I took 2 similar lengths of wood and fit it under the lower sprint retainer. Slowly, I dropped the hydraulic floorjack and let the wheel down. When the lower sprint retainer hit the wood, the shocks kept dropping revealing the adjustment rings, while the wood pieces held the spring in a compressed state.

In hindsight, this may not have been the safest way to do this, but it was sure a heck of a lot faster! Now I need to take some pictures of this new height and see if it makes much of a difference. Fast forward 12 hours or so... I took some pictures and added this photo.
Height setting.png
Can you even detect the difference after 2 clicks?
Height setting.png (1.8 MiB) Viewed 54 times
Hm, it's not so obvious in these before (top) and after (bottom) pictures.
This coming week, I'll drive the car to work and see if I can feel any difference. So, that's what I did this weekend to the car.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383