Help Support Bigcoupe.com

Battery relocation/trunk refurbish project

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: ron, bfons, GRNSHRK

tschultz
Bigcoupe supporter

Re: Battery relocation/trunk refurbish project

Post by tschultz » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:02 pm

Thanks for the detail Bobbo, somehow I missed the .pdf attachement.

I couldn't tell where you penetrated the firewall-- and you mentioned that you didn't need to drill a hole up there. Any photos would be awesome as I was considering something like this for my turbo car if I can obtain a battery box strut bar. It seems like there isn't enough room under the rear seats unfortunately.

GRNSHRK
E12 Based Guru

Post by GRNSHRK » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:49 pm

Tom, there are a couple of plugged holes behind the pedals, at least there is in the series I cars, not sure about your '83 turbo, however :-?

True, can't see where I snaked the cable through, frankly I would have to get in there and get a better look myself [-o<

Under the rear seats, nice idea but not even close to having enough room for the battery :-({|=

Anyhoo, here's a shot of where I brought the cable through from the trunk, from what I recall there was a plug there that I removed, but after 7 years, really not sure #-o

I did put a grommet in this hole, however, the last thing you need is the sheetmetal cutting through the insulation [-X

I'll see if I can get some better shots tonight after worky [-o<

:mrgreen:
Attachments
IMG_1918-sm.jpg
IMG_1918-sm.jpg (62.06 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi
Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2011 F10 528i
2005 E46 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio

You can never have too many BMW's

GRNSHRK
E12 Based Guru

Post by GRNSHRK » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:40 pm

Tom, it's virtually impossible to get decent shots of where I fed the cable through the firewall :-?

Basically, once you feed the cable up the left hand side footwell behind the carpet, it will be barely visible unless you've got your head down there poking around anyway :-#

Anyhoo, here's a few of shots, one from underneath and 2 showing the cable coming up and wrapping around the top side of the brake vacuum booster and on down to the top of the starter solenoid :roll:

From the inside, it was to the left of that big ass grommet with the harness going through it, passed through the same hole =D>

If you do this process, one other item you will need to add is a separate ground from the engine to the chassis :-k

When I did this, went to hit the starter and of course, nothing [-o<

So I went back and looked at the original negative cable, which of course has this grounding point, a real "doh" moment for me #-o

Attachments
IMG_3394-sm.jpg
IMG_3394-sm.jpg (68.32 KiB) Viewed 999 times
IMG_3393-sm.jpg
IMG_3393-sm.jpg (78.44 KiB) Viewed 999 times
IMG_3392-sm.jpg
IMG_3392-sm.jpg (84.14 KiB) Viewed 999 times
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi
2011 F10 528i

Kurtamine_

Post by Kurtamine_ » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:42 am

GRNSHRK wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:15 pm
Fellas, attached is the result of the fruits my labor, a project that wound up taking well over a month to complete :roll:

But with the battery tray rotting away up front, I had no desire to reinstall the battery back in that location, which provided me the opportunity to move it to the trunk :wink:

I had also been wanting to refinish the trunk, and this was the time to take care of that as well :-?

Along with a couple of quick shots, before and after (hopefully in the right order...), here's my story 8)

Please feel free to comment, suggestions, other thoughts, all are welcome :-k
Bobbo,

Did you fabricate this yourself? I am interested in purchasing one for my basket case of an E12 :D
'81 E24
'99 miata
'84 E30
'99 eclipse

GRNSHRK
E12 Based Guru

Post by GRNSHRK » Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:20 pm

Fabricate it myself :-k

I wish I had that capability :-?

Trying to recall the name of the fella that was making these, think it was Brent Kemi, might try and do a search on the board [-o<

BTW, shortly after doing this, the Interstate did crap out, so I went with an Optima red top =D>

Which, of course, also just crapped out, the day before I was leaving for Pacific Sharkfest :shock:

Managed to find a replacement in stock at O'Reilly's, to my surprise \:D/

So, wallet is a little lighter, but it was 9 years old, so I think I did OK :-"

I'll see if I can find this guy on the board, although I surmise that he's moved on :-({|=
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi
2011 F10 528i

Kurtamine_

Post by Kurtamine_ » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:03 am

+1 on the red top info too. My battery is on its way out so im glad I found this 4 yo post :lol:

I guess I will be fabricating my own. I figured I would ask the thread first before I dive into the project

Thanks!
'81 E24
'99 miata
'84 E30
'99 eclipse