orval2 - BMW M635CSI

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Stoffie

Post by Stoffie »

Too bad you're going to have to fork out the green tax, but you will soon forget as you get the drive one of the most awesome cars from the 80's (and still!)

Would be glad to meet up sometime when we both have time! Have to warn you though, my French is rusty at best 8)
The M88/3 was all about power, no cats. At idle the raw fuel from the exhaust will make your eyes water like an old V-8 powered muscle car's exhaust did.
orval2

Post by orval2 »

Stoffie wrote: Would be glad to meet up sometime when we both have time! Have to warn you though, my French is rusty at best 8)
Hey,

Geen problem, ik ben niet meer perfect tweetallige. Maar heb ik nooit tweeltalige geweest.
Ik ben zekker dat wij kunnen met effort samen praten.

Ok stop the "private" message.
I did drive my car for real today. What a pleasure !
I've used to go my future BMW dealer (Davo Tongeren) as I have to have an offer for my future daily 318D.
I showed my car to the sellers, they were really enthoutiasts "this is a real BMW". The boss of the garage compliments me. I do think he is a good judge as he own 1 M635csi, 2 635, 1 M1, 1 M5 E28 ...

but the day hasn't start so well. The motor refused to start while he was always starting in winter. After let him quiet for 10 minutes, he starts well. Then in second gear, the motor didn't respond at 4000 rpm. In third, no issue, I didn't test in 4th 5th as it is too fast in the streets. After refuelling the car and few kilomters everything went back normal, the motor responds very well. A small test 0-100 in 6.2 sec without pushing it too much in first gear.
Anyway, I will go to service the car begining of May.
Oil service + valve settings.

Otherwise I might have a good surprise. I ahven't read the license plate paper given by the D.I.V (belgian organsim who deliver the license plate). They had mentioned the first immatriculation as 01/01/1985 ! As it is written in the carpass (technic control), ot 15/9/1985 as in the customs papers. SO I should at least avoid the 1300? annual taxes and pay 65 ? (>25 years) and with a lot of luck no Ecomalus.

Next week-end, I will go for a touristic BMW ballad in the belgian Ardennes.

What a sound this car. I will make nice dreams.

Renaud
Stoffie

Post by Stoffie »

I'm sure a mix of Dutch ,French and English will do the trick ;)

When you have it serviced, you might also have the butterfly intake valves synchronized. Mine were done together with the valve setting.

It is addictive isn't it, the sound, the smooth acceleration, the looks...I've already put more than 2000km on mine in five weeks :D
The M88/3 was all about power, no cats. At idle the raw fuel from the exhaust will make your eyes water like an old V-8 powered muscle car's exhaust did.
orval2

Post by orval2 »

Stoffie wrote: It is addictive isn't it, the sound, the smooth acceleration, the looks...I've already put more than 2000km on mine in five weeks :D
Oh ! It's a hard drug !
Stoffie

Post by Stoffie »

As expensive as a hard drug as well, more than 400? of petrol in a month is more than enough :oops: :mrgreen:
ericono

Post by ericono »

Orval,

Nice looking car. How have things been going with it recently? I've got an '85 M635 of my own and love it.

I had another question for you about Spa. Are regular people allowed to drive the track some times? Like on certain days or something.

I was curious because a couple of years ago when I traveled to Germany on work I made sure to run down to the N?rburgring for a few laps. I would love to drive around Spa as well the next time I get over to Europe.

Thanks and take care.

Eric
orval2

Post by orval2 »

ericono wrote:Orval,

Nice looking car. How have things been going with it recently? I've got an '85 M635 of my own and love it.

I had another question for you about Spa. Are regular people allowed to drive the track some times? Like on certain days or something.

I was curious because a couple of years ago when I traveled to Germany on work I made sure to run down to the N?rburgring for a few laps. I would love to drive around Spa as well the next time I get over to Europe.

Thanks and take care.

Eric
Hi,

Sorry, I haven't seen your post earlier !
I've done a lot of little thing on my car.

New intermediate exhaust, rear will arrive monday : a Supersprint to get more sound.
New gear knob (original one)
New brakes discs and brake pads
New right door joint
New flexibles (oil and steering wheel assistance)

Yes it is possible to drive on Spa or Zolder but only on fixed date and it cost more than on the N?rburgring.
More info here : http://www.spa-francorchamps.be/en/trac ... rience.php

I never drove my car on a track.
Maybe on september on the Greenhell but I will drive it quiet.

Renaud
ericono

Post by ericono »

Thanks for the link! That is good news. The price isn't too bad considering the time you get on the track, I think.

Spa looks like such a beautiful track. Hopefully I can get a chance to get over there this year or the next. If I do I will certainly have to plan my time around one of the open days.

Thanks again,

Eric
'85 M635, '00 528iT, '98 Z3
orval2

Post by orval2 »

Hi,

My new ///M gearknob.

Otherwise I came back from Normandy, I am really good surprized by my fuel consomption : 10,5 litres ! (highway but also small roads, following other sharks, starting,...)

Since the maintenance 1500 kms ago my oil level hasn't drop down.
I did try also an acceleration in fifth gear from 40 km/h and the motor does not vibrate. it just accelerates continuously

Now, the car has more than 237.000 kms

Renaud
Stoffie

Post by Stoffie »

Where did you find that gearknob ? I've been wanting one for quite some time now...
orval2

Post by orval2 »

Stoffie wrote:Where did you find that gearknob ? I've been wanting one for quite some time now...
It is not available anymore at BMW.
It has been replaced by the E34 ///M gearknob.

Mine, I found it on ebay.de (it is the same as the E28, E30).
I just bought the cap to BMW (still available). So do not care about the gear indication. You can buy also a non ///M one and put the ///M cap on.

Renaud
World-Class6

Post by World-Class6 »

Stoffie wrote:Where did you find that gearknob ? I've been wanting one for quite some time now...
Clicky here for the ///M gearknob logo-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0287685884

here for the leather knob if you need one-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0722724483

I've replaced both on mine and leather stitching on the knob looks great. Logo is good quality and letters are a bright silver. Once you receive the ///M logo, carefully remove existing and place new in place.

Cheers,

M. 8)
85 M635 Schwarz (Found a new home in L.A.)
95 MBZ E36 AMG Coupe widebody Polar White
88 BMW E28 535is White
2000 Jaguar XJR Anthracite
2016 GMC Sierra Double Cab SLT- All Terrain Black
-------------------------------------------------------
orval2

Post by orval2 »

privileged6 wrote:
Clicky here for the ///M gearknob logo-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0287685884

here for the leather knob if you need one-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 0722724483

I've replaced both on mine and leather stitching on the knob looks great. Logo is good quality and letters are a bright silver. Once you receive the ///M logo, carefully remove existing and place new in place.

Cheers,

M. 8)
Hi,

The first link is not working for us as we cannot buy it from Europe. But I doubt it is cheaper than buying it directly to BMW (around 5?)

The second link is showing an E34 gearknob. I had that one before.
Click on my picture to see the original one.

Anyway, thank you for your help.

This one as the correct design but is in wood and it is an Alpina one, so would be a matter to remove the Alpina logo.
http://cgi.ebay.de/BMW-E3-E9-2500-2800- ... 3cb70c5fbe
World-Class6

Post by World-Class6 »

ah!! I replaced my gearknob, based on the existing design already on the M635 when I acquired the car. I prefer the M logo over the colored stripes, but both look good IMO.

In my case- it would help if I read carefully as you did describe the logo piece can be had in a variety of versions and original design is not available from BMW, other than from a E34 :oops:

M.
01 VW JETTA 1.8T
85 M635 Schwarz (Found a new home in L.A.)
95 MBZ E36 AMG Coupe widebody Polar White
88 BMW E28 535is White
2000 Jaguar XJR Anthracite
2016 GMC Sierra Double Cab SLT- All Terrain Black
orval2

Post by orval2 »

privileged6 wrote:ah!! I replaced my gearknob, based on the existing design already on the M635 when I acquired the car. I prefer the M logo over the colored stripes, but both look good IMO.

In my case- it would help if I read carefully as you did describe the logo piece can be had in a variety of versions and original design is not available from BMW, other than from a E34 :oops:

M.
01 VW JETTA 1.8T
Strange I had it last year when I ordered from BMW !
Maybe it depends of the market.
orval2

Post by orval2 »

My M635 will have new suspension + other details changed by Wolf (www.wokke.de thanks to him)

Front shocks were Monroe :shock:
New one are a complete set of Bilstein B6/ Eibach Alpina.

Black dirt are mix of water, oil,... my car received while shooted for the BMW Magazine.

Old "arms", will be changed

front one

Rear one

Old shocks and a new one

The new Alpina set

- 3 cm ?? (inscription 30/10)

And the trunk without carpets. Looking in good shape, except the battery place.

Renaud
Stoffie

Post by Stoffie »

Pretty nice dude! What's the price of all this eye candy ?
orval2

Post by orval2 »

Stoffie wrote:Pretty nice dude! What's the price of all this eye candy ?
Hi Stoffie,

The Alpina set is around 1300 ?. A bit more expansive than BMW ///M but a bit lower.

Renaud
orval2

Post by orval2 »

orval2

Post by orval2 »

Hi,

I forgot to post the last pictures from the body work.
The car is much more stiffer now. It handles better, I can accelerate hardly on corner and I can feel the car better.

I have also received a set of small pictures taken by the BMW magazine photograph. Those are really nice but I cannot show them before BMW.
orval2

Post by orval2 »

Today I have refreshed my brake calliper. Not a perfect result but better than before.

before,

2 old pics to show how looked the caliper (with dirty wheels, shame on me)

No pics while cleaned

first layer,

second layer,

Third layer,
ericono

Post by ericono »

Hey. The car is coming along nicely. Do you have some pictures of the entire car on the new suspension? Any before and after comparison shots?

Also, where did you get your suspension kit from?

Thanks and keep up the great work!

Eric
'85 M635, '00 528iT, '98 Z3
orval2

Post by orval2 »

ericono wrote:Hey. The car is coming along nicely. Do you have some pictures of the entire car on the new suspension? Any before and after comparison shots?

Eric
I do not have pics before/after but hte height with the Alpina set is quite similar to the original one.
I did not bought the supension kit directly but it can be bought to Alpina. the price is almost the same as original one or as bilstein + eibach springs so I took the Alpina that have stiffer set-up.

Renaud
orval2

Post by orval2 »

ericono wrote:Hey. The car is coming along nicely. Do you have some pictures of the entire car on the new suspension? Any before and after comparison shots?

Eric
Late reply, no I have some pics to compare a standard M6 and mine lowered by 1 cm (compare to an M6, -3 compare to a 635)

Otherwise, next Sunday, my car will be on the hands of BMW Classic.
During the winter they might (depending of their price offer) rebuild my motor.
orval2

Post by orval2 »

Beginning of the month I brang my car to BMW Classic at a Rally event in Belgium.
Few cars I have seen

To finish the BMW Classic cars with which my car returned to Munich

and