Hahaha- I know that's right!
1987 635CSI 5spd
1984 928S Black/Black 5spd
1988 Lotus Esprit - LS1 swap
1996 VFR750
Other stuff not nearly interesting
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

Got 23 MPG this last week with the 635 then back to driving the 530 this week with a new clutch.
(UUC Stage 2 flywheel with E34 M5 Clutch. What an improvement.)
Now I can feel the motor mounts moving around so it's back to driving the 635 "Schei?haufen" while I do those.
Never ends.
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

Well, I finally got around to addressing the rattling noise in the front of the engine and fluctuating temperature gauge.

1) I figured I was losing a water pump and possibly a thermostat because the temps wouldn't stay steady throughout variable driving conditions.
The needle would swing up more than it should in town and down below standard range out on the road.

With a properly functioning cooling system fluctuation should be minimal.

2) Once the engine was warmed up and idling I could hear a rattling in the front of the engine. I took out my trusty garden hose-stethoscope and took a listen. I determined that the noise was coming from the timing set and/or the water pump.

I went ahead and ordered all of the parts for items 1 & 2 and tore it down.
I find that the previous owner had had the oil pan and timing cover off before, for reasons unknown. There was grey silicone squeeze-out everywhere.

After looking at the timing chain guides it appears they may have been replaced in the not too distant past as there was only moderate wear.

Further inspection revealed that the crank sprocket and cam sprocket were beyond worn out and it looked like a jumped chain was imminent.
The tooth pockets were not round but more of a half-moon shape.

Removal of the crank sprocket revealed a home made woodruff key that was not the proper shape and did not protrude deep enough into the key way allowing it to walk back and forth in the groove. Fortunately I had ordered new keys for the crank and cam. These tightened everything up perfectly.

Because of the excessive wear of the cam and crank sprockets I took a look at the oil pump sprocket and chain. Not so good looking either. This meant pulling the pan off to fix.

As long as the pan was off I figured it would be stupid to run the old oil pump so I ordered a brand new unit complete with pick-up and block interface. No telling how much crap was in that old pick-up. It wasn't cheap but in my opinion oil pumps are NOT the items to cheap out on.

The rod and main torques were checked and all were good.
All shaft seal surfaces were dressed out and all new gaskets installed.
All new guides, including the tensioner spring and piston.
All new belts and hoses.

The engine is a whole lot quieter now which is telling me there was great potential for catastrophic failure. Close call.

It might be my imagination but it seems to run better and more consistently now too.
9mil

Post by 9mil »

Any update?
1987 635CSI 5spd
1996 VFR750
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

I have been driving the Turbo car almost every Sunday to breakfast with my Dad.

Keeping it a 10 psi and my foot out of it mostly. Runs very nice and consistent.
- I drove it the other day when it was 25 degrees f out and boy does it love that cold intake air.
It has a small oil leak up front to the right a little. Leaves a small spot when I park.
I checked all the gaskets and crank seal, dry as a bone.
I have a sneaking suspicion the oil supply line for the turbo got cracked when the front cover was R & R'd.
It leaves a one inch dia puddle when I park

Over x-mas break I uncovered the red '79 so I could start on the list I was supposed to do in the spring of 2012. (Major home maintenance this summer slowed me down too)

viewtopic.php?t=14863&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=90

The list:
1) Weld up stubborn exhaust leaks at the muffler.
2) Master cylinder
3) Water Pump (just started leaking at the shaft)
4) Front end work. Something REALLY loose up there.

So far:
- I fixed the trapeze under the driver's seat a couple days ago. Fully manual 6-way adjustable seat now, easier than I thought to fix.
- Pulled the radiator and water pump yesterday. Pretty crusty looking impeller.
- Broken pressure cap too.
- Ordered all the parts last night.
- I'll start on the master cylinder when I get the water pump done.

* I'm probably going to wait until I can get it on the lift to do the exhaust and front end. For now the car is trapped in the basement.

:D :D
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

I installed the style 42's from my 2002 E39 to the turbo car and moved the style 4's to the Euro 635. No more rubbing on the Euro car but I miss the dish of the Rondell 58's I had on there, shown in this thread, viewtopic.php?t=14863&start=75 (those went to the E39).
Note the missing passenger mirror. Kind of naked looking.
Last edited by Spasso on Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

9mil wrote:Ha. My tach stopped working all together just before I took it all apart... I swapped it out and finally got the temp gauge working but still dont have a tach/... I'll be interested in that one
I went with a whole new board and everything now works except for intermittent tach. I blame that on the gang plug on the back. Low priority for me right now so I let it be.
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

So I just realized today that when we went to the new server A LOT of pictures were dropped. All but 5 or 6 were dropped from this thread. I spent the last hour reloading them.
Hopefully there will be a workaround on the next server shift so this doesn't happen again.
9mil

Post by 9mil »

I finally put up a build thread.... so you have to update yours now!!!!!
1987 635CSI 5spd
1996 VFR750
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Great work on your spoiler!

I may be following this thread more in detail now. I just picked up a 633CSi equipped with the 'microfueler' and callaway turbo. Going to try and get photos and start a thread. As i understand it uses an add on box with a 7th injector to throw additional fuel into the intake manifold. Primitive and unique, but adaptable across platforms and usable in the 80's for some decent power. That car has the 008 ECU and may be a chore to get the larger injectors etc. Unfortunately my progress is very slow since all my cars are stored at a separate location as I look for house. Hence the lack of updates on my euro.

http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

9mil wrote:I finally put up a build thread.... so you have to update yours now!!!!!
Nothing much on the T-car right now.
- Since replacing the timing set last year I notice an oil leak at the front RH end of the engine.
- All the seals and gaskets are dry that I can see BUT it appears to be coming from behind where the RH radiator hose is so I am thinking it may be the joint between the upper and lower covers or a cracked oil supply line for the turbo.
- Both are in that area.
- Otherwise she is running really good.
I'll go look at your thread now!
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

tschultz wrote:Great work on your spoiler!

I may be following this thread more in detail now. I just picked up a 633CSi equipped with the 'microfueler' and callaway turbo. Going to try and get photos and start a thread. As i understand it uses an add on box with a 7th injector to throw additional fuel into the intake manifold. Primitive and unique, but adaptable across platforms and usable in the 80's for some decent power. That car has the 008 ECU and may be a chore to get the larger injectors etc. Unfortunately my progress is very slow since all my cars are stored at a separate location as I look for house. Hence the lack of updates on my euro.
Very cool Tom.
Nice looking 633.
I am not familiar with the system you are describing.
I'm going to have to do some searches and get acquainted.
It's fun to learn new things.
Looking forward to your thread and good luck on the house.
Good time to buy.
(I hope you find serious shop space. Never enough room.)
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Denver is a really hot market right now, and their is fierce competition, I have been looking for 3 months and have submitted 5 offers. 3 over asking, and I guess they had better offers yet. Either way a 2 car garage is a must. Larger garage spaces are out of my price range :/

Regarding the 633, I made a quick intro post on mye28 with photos and some details about the setup. http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=126432

I have a list of things to do on the car, but it does run, and is quite rust-free. I figured if I can get a bunch of work done, it could be a good track day car and beginning into FI. Progress will be slow until maybe the fall.
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

Now that I've sold the 79 Euro I am able to spend a little time on the turbo car.
I removed the style 42's for use on my E39 because of the all-weather Michelins on them so I grabbed a set of fake M5 wheels I had left over from the 525 I once owned. 8.5"wide x 18"dia.
(The 42's were 17"dia.)

The rears are 265/35-18 and the fronts are 225/45-18 with the chords showing all the way around.

The fronts had severe curb rash so I sanded the edges down and painted them with sterling silver touch-up paint from the 525.

I managed to find a set of new GT radials for less than 100.00 each plus mount and balance. The bill came to 200.74 total. Can't gripe about the price.

As with any bargain tire you can be sure I won't be making any high speed runs with these.

The first two pictures are the M5 type and the second two are the type 42's.

The nice thing about the switch is there are no rubbing or clearance issues.
Attachments
LF (Small).JPG
LF (Small).JPG (93.62 KiB) Viewed 15312 times
LR Side (Small).JPG
LR Side (Small).JPG (93.25 KiB) Viewed 15312 times
M5 LF (Small).JPG
M5 LF (Small).JPG (71.72 KiB) Viewed 15312 times
M5 Side (Small).JPG
M5 Side (Small).JPG (63.24 KiB) Viewed 15312 times
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

It is looking a lot better than when I remember photos of Oxen's ownership!
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

Thanks,
I would like to get rid of the DOT bumpers entirely and go with a track style fiberglass air dam and rear cover.

The air dam will give me more room for an intercooler if nothing else.
Some HR springs and mild flares would look cool too.
(Not as radical as in the picture)

First things first, intercooler, suspension, brakes.
Attachments
635 Group 21 (Small).jpg
635 Group 21 (Small).jpg (48.99 KiB) Viewed 15276 times
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

tschultz wrote:It is looking a lot better than when I remember photos of Oxen's ownership!
How is your turbo project coming along.?
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Spasso wrote:
tschultz wrote:It is looking a lot better than when I remember photos of Oxen's ownership!
How is your turbo project coming along.?
Thanks for asking-- I haven't spent a lot of time on it as I have some maintenance items on the other vehicles and work on the new house. Been getting electrical squared away, and am trying to sell the GF's jeep. Once that is sold, I'll have a spot to work on the car.

I have actually been tossing the idea around with a friend of doing an engine swap with his spare... I got the 633 moved to my house about 3 weeks ago. As it sits, it has a massive exhaust leak and no longer wants to idle. I think the oil pump is going bad as the oil light rarely goes out. Also, between when I bought it and last month, it has somehow lost 4th gear :-k Oh yeah, it also needs the brake bomb replaced.

So with all of those things, I was thinking of putting in a friends spare M30B34 and having the ability of changing injectors etc. At the same time, I would replace the transmission with a 260/6.

It would be nice because then I could trouble shoot parts between it and my 535i if I ran into issues...
I have been gathering parts for suspension (h&r's, bilsteins, dogbones), I'm just debating if I really want to start on the project or not. It is a salvage title vehicle, and the body/paint is not great, but at the same time it would seem to be a great candidate for a track rat...
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

tschultz wrote:....the body/paint is not great, but at the same time it would seem to be a great candidate for a track rat...
I have the same feelings; build a rat car that is strong on mechanical and mediocre on looks, just to give it that sleeper look. It has a pretty straight body and dry floor pans. All it needs is solid suspension (lowered) with 10"wide wheels all around, mild flairs and a few surprises under the bonnet.

I'll shoot the paint myself.

....shades of "Road Warrior".

These are the kind of projects most fun for me,

Any good source for an air dam like the one pictured below??
It leaves lots of room for the oil cooler, and intercooler....for that matter, the flares would be kind of cool too.
Attachments
BMW  GRP 2 (Small).jpg
BMW GRP 2 (Small).jpg (48.94 KiB) Viewed 15219 times
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

Finally got around to fixing the oil leak. It was weeping between the upper and lower front covers just behind the lower radiator hose hookup.
It took a lot of degreasing and cleaning before reseal. All good now.

I found another leak where the oil supply line hooks to the turbo. Loose bolt.....:-k

I went out to move it this weekend and it wouldn't fire up.
The typical "ran fine when I parked it and now it won't start" scenario.
The first thing I did was test the coil for juice and it was good.
Next I sprayed a little ether in the intake and no fire.
I checked all the fuses and they were fine.
I knew the flywheel sensors were good because I had changed them already (as noted earlier in this thread).
- Then I heard Brucey's voice in my head, "Check the main relay and fuel pump relay".
I started digging around for my jumper wires to test with and popped the glove box door. Low and behold, a little zip-lock baggie with two brand new relays in it. One marked Main and the other Fuel.

I had forgotten that when I did the flywheel sensors I purchased the relays at the same time but held off on changing them until necessary.
I pulled the main and popped in the new one and BOOM! She fired right up.

The date code on the old relay was 9/84. Got my money's worth out of that one!

A BIG THANKS TO YOU GUYS ON THIS SITE!.
Without the sage advice from guys like Brucey and Chris Wright and countless others I would have been chasing this all day.
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Great thinking, and awesome that you had the spare relay! So how's she running in 2015?

Strange you updated this yesterday--as yesterday I was pulling the donor engine for my Turbo 633. It a M30B34. Although I don't want to rid your project thread with my updates, I'm hoping to have my Callaway running in about a month, and I will crate a project thread.

https://scontent-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot ... 5184_o.jpg
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

tschultz wrote:Great thinking, and awesome that you had the spare relay! So how's she running in 2015?

Strange you updated this yesterday--as yesterday I was pulling the donor engine for my Turbo 633. It a M30B34. Although I don't want to rid your project thread with my updates, I'm hoping to have my Callaway running in about a month, and I will crate a project thread.

https://scontent-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot ... 5184_o.jpg
I don't mind the updates and links Tom. It just adds to the fun.
Looks like you are breaking in your garage nicely... :D
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

tschultz wrote: So how's she running in 2015?
Running great.
I changed the O2 sensor a while back and it started running even better.
I'm still working on the interior of the shop so I haven't been making any progress on the car otherwise.
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Do you still have the 42lb injectors in the car?

Also, is the fuel pump a stock Bosch unit, or was it upgraded by the PO?

I saw the MILLER MAF and turbo chip online, but I was thinking of using the TCD turbo kit and RRFPR for fuel control down the road instead of the callaway 7th injector... I'd like to think with my small intercooler and such that my setup will be comparable to yours. [My project thread]

Any thoughts?
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

tschultz wrote:Do you still have the 42lb injectors in the car?

Also, is the fuel pump a stock Bosch unit, or was it upgraded by the PO?

I saw the MILLER MAF and turbo chip online, but I was thinking of using the TCD turbo kit and RRFPR for fuel control down the road instead of the callaway 7th injector... I'd like to think with my small intercooler and such that my setup will be comparable to yours. [My project thread]

Any thoughts?
- Yes, I have the 42lb injectors (Ford SHO). They should be able to keep up with my little K27 turbo okay.

- Fuel system is stock and needs to be upgraded. It can't keep up with a sustained pull. First step is to install a RRFPR and see how well it does. Ultimately I would like to go with a high volume pump and header tank.

- Before I go any further though I need to plumb an intercooler before I hurt the engine. I'm going to cram the biggest one I can in the space behind the airdam. (Cooler air= more power).
* It may be overkill now but will allow a turbo upgrade later.
* I may have to go with an aftermarket airdam to make it work.
* I will fab up some new oil cooler lines and relocate off to the side so I can optimize the airflow.
* The battery has to go in the trunk so I can run ducting on the driver's side.

- From the reading I've done I don't think you can go wrong with the TCD kit.
- When you say small intercooler, how small? If it's small like the stock OEM 745 unit I would ditch it and go bigger. Your engine will thank you later.

* All this talk about building your car and now I want to get cracking on mine. I have some big projects on the ranch this year so it has to be sidelined for a while.

** keep us updated with pictures!
Last edited by Spasso on Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.