Tadhgs 1980 635csi restoration

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

tadhg635

Tadhgs 1980 635csi restoration

Post by tadhg635 »

well i decided that its time to bite the bullet before they start salting the roads here and its restoration time. a bit of screwdriver prodding revealed that the last cowboy had cleverly... covered up big holes with filler and painted over with underseal, this explained the very soggy underlining. also picked up two front wings for silly money so after a bit of oohing and ahhing decided to go for full strip down and respray and put the rust to bed for good or at least a few years. so i have centre console out and carpet out now for the more nigelly bits, i am goin to search now but if anyone has links or pictures of removing interior and exterior trim all would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks chris wright for this before: Here is the original PDF based Online Factory Workshop Manual (US spec only, but includes the early cars - click "630 ... 633CSi Repair Manual"):
http://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/
Last edited by tadhg635 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tadhg635

Post by tadhg635 »

here are first few pics including the 14" i put on last week, some difference in the handling characteristics
Attachments
IMG_1053.JPG
IMG_1053.JPG (148.52 KiB) Viewed 12836 times
IMG_1054.JPG
IMG_1054.JPG (84.78 KiB) Viewed 12836 times
IMG_1055.JPG
IMG_1055.JPG (103.99 KiB) Viewed 12836 times
IMG_1057.JPG
IMG_1057.JPG (150.36 KiB) Viewed 12836 times
tadhg635

Post by tadhg635 »

wheels
Attachments
IMG_1058.JPG
IMG_1058.JPG (116.32 KiB) Viewed 12835 times
MrtnEbb

Post by MrtnEbb »

What color red is that? Couldn't hurt with more pictures!
Chris Wright

Re: Tadhgs 1980 635csi restoration

Post by Chris Wright »

tadhg635 wrote: Thanks chris wright for this before: Here is the original PDF based Online Factory Workshop Manual (US spec only, but includes the early cars - click "630 ... 633CSi Repair Manual"):
Check out this page, it lists a new Factory Workshop Manual that I think is better then the PDF version above:
viewtopic.php?t=10410

Here is the excerpt:
  • "**New!!**
    Here is a better Online Manual taken from the Factory DVD
    that has info for both the e12 and e28 based cars and the Euro Factory Specs and Torques as well as for Japan and the US. It is also primarily a browser/link based format with only the specs/torques in PDF files so it is faster then the primarily PDF graphic based Online Manual previously posted and the photo's seem much clearer also:"
    BMW 628csi - M635csi (M6) - e12/e28 Workshop Manual
tadhg635

Post by tadhg635 »

not sure on what the exact name of the colour is anbody got an idea. found anothe rust hole behind the rear seats!!!
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

tadhg635 wrote:not sure on what the exact name of the colour is anbody got an idea. found anothe rust hole behind the rear seats!!!
Should say on the passenger side wheel wheel behind the wiper wash tank.
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

And the next question is . . .

Post by GRNSHRK »

...WTF color are those seats #-o

Looks like something the cat hocked up :oops:

Just kidding tadhg635, all in good fun on a Friday afternoon :wink:

:mrgreen:
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
MrtnEbb

Post by MrtnEbb »

How about some more exterior pictures? Not many around of the various, old red-metallics. Looks like either rubinrot- or kastanienrot-metallic.

Btw, I like your "new car scent" wunderbaum:-)
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

good job you are doing there!

Wacky colour scheme...! I wonder if the seats are the originals? On later cars the trim panels were set to colour-match the upholstery but I don't know on earlier ones...

BTW I have a load of trim parts from an '81; black door cards etc like the ones in the pictures. I also have a set of good 'comfort' seats as well (although you may need to re-use the frames under your extant seats if they are the earlier type). If you need anything let me know.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
tadhg635

Post by tadhg635 »

thanks lads. yeah i may need few trim parts when i go to put it all back together, going to try clean up the carpet but may have to find new. im in two minds over the seats i believe the green ones are original, it was originally a bmw dealer car so that could be ehy its strange, i have a set of half black leather and greenish alacantara so unsure??? will keep the phots rolling as build goes on
tadhg635

Post by tadhg635 »

Last drive for awhile now dropped to paint shop last night. Feels far more spritely with interior out, anybody know what weight saving is with insides out. The underlay had some serious damage from water so think it for skip, anybody used a good alternative material?? Considering looking for a scrapbox with a good interior as a donor should there be much issues with interior of newer car fitting?? Anybody with one going un Ireland??
margaret

Post by margaret »

tadhg635 wrote:well i decided that its time to bite the bullet before they start salting the roads here and its restoration manuals time. a bit of screwdriver prodding revealed that the last cowboy had cleverly... covered up big holes with filler and painted over with underseal, this explained the very soggy underlining. also picked up two front wings for silly money so after a bit of oohing and ahhing decided to go for full strip down and respray and put the rust to bed for good or at least a few years. so i have centre console out and carpet out now for the more nigelly bits, i am goin to search now but if anyone has links or pictures of removing interior and exterior trim all would be greatly appreciated!!

thanks chris wright for this before: Here is the original PDF based Online Factory Workshop Manual (US spec only, but includes the early cars - click "630 ... 633CSi Repair Manual"):
im thinking on getting some restoration manual but didnt know where to find one. can you please help me on this? thanks a lot.
DesktopDave

Post by DesktopDave »

Bump for an old post that I'd like to see more on! That's an odd color combo there - you're not kidding.
margaret wrote: im thinking on getting some restoration manual but didnt know where to find one. can you please help me on this? thanks a lot.
I'd should start a new thread for this...you'll get more responses. IMHO one of the nicest things about the 6-er is that it's not very complicated, built much like every other unit-body car (even to the present day). Very advanced design by BMW (I thought they looked like something out of the space program when they were new). Happily the car shares a lot of parts from the much more common 5-series as well.

The later cars have a few more electronics, nothing spectacularly difficult if you're used to older cars. The Bosch FI is relatively simple & robust. A spare car for parts and a few illustrations from the above manual should do OK.

You can't go wrong with the Bentley - though it's written to cover the e28 5-series, it's virtually the same as our later e24. Amazon has them listed used for as little as $15 shipped...that's a tremendous bargain.
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

I think you will find that "margaret" is a spammer .... #-o
tadhg635

and the restoration is complete. well 80%

Post by tadhg635 »

hello all.
been gone for a long time, as was the shark. so long my account expired as had my interest in the car due to an awful awful long time at the body shop just over 3 years. then after a couple of months back on the road with it a series of engine, fueling and braking problems crept in as does happen when sitting around a paint shop stripped down for 3 years!
but anyway thats changed since late last summer. its painted, 98%rust free, running and stopping, and a new interior, those green seats were beyond saving. so there are still lots of jobs to be done with the car but it is looking and driving well, just did about 150miles today apart from an awful 17mpg!
Attachments
IMG_6093.jpg
IMG_6093.jpg (849.26 KiB) Viewed 9086 times
IMG_5959.jpg
IMG_5959.jpg (855.01 KiB) Viewed 9086 times
IMG_5228.jpg
IMG_5228.jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 9086 times
IMG_5228.jpg
IMG_5228.jpg (1.63 MiB) Viewed 9086 times
tadhg635

Post by tadhg635 »

more pics
Attachments
IMG_2410.jpg
IMG_2410.jpg (1.32 MiB) Viewed 9086 times
IMG_6136.jpg
IMG_6136.jpg (1.24 MiB) Viewed 9086 times
IMG_6133.jpg
IMG_6133.jpg (778.02 KiB) Viewed 9086 times
IMG_6125.jpg
IMG_6125.jpg (856.37 KiB) Viewed 9086 times
tadhg635

Post by tadhg635 »

so went with a dark navy interior.
got door cards from the newer type but it seemed like an awful lot of work to match them to the older door opening mechanism
put the wheels back as 14inch with 205/70 on them. there is a lot of tire wall but it helps on rubbish irish roads.
on my to do list.
half shaft covers split, have the kit but debating just switching in 2nd hand shafts
heater sender needs replacement and debating using evans waterless coolant?
still have the fast idle issue to eradicate and have developed a small hole in exhaust manifold so repair or upgrade?
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Overdue update!

Good to see :)
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A