1985 Euro Resto Blog

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

1988shark

1985 Euro Resto Blog

Post by 1988shark »

Okay, here's my story:
Saw this Euro on Craigslist and had an attraction for it. After speaking with the seller over the course of two weeks I offered him $1500 for the car. Seller said he has a lot of spares and will include them with the sale. He claimed that the car is all original and the only problem is the head gasket. Once this is fixed I should be ready to roll. I figured well, this is not such a bad deal although I had to pay $1000 to have the car shipped to Ohio. The deal was close Aug 8th, 2012. My plan was to eventually take the 5 spd tranny from my rusted '88 and do the conversion. With a time frame of 2 yrs it won't be so heavy on the pockets while giving my Audi some rest at least for the winter.

I could not contain the excitement of having the car delivered and got little sleep. The driver was ahead of schedule and made the trip two days earlier than the expected.

The Arrival, Aug 13, 2012:
Driver contacts me at 8:20 am. "Louis you car is here". I rushed to the bank and got cash to take car of the driver. It was a happy pain. I got to the Giant Eagle parking lot and passed the car to get some change to pay the driver. Hey wait a minute! That must be the cleanest windshield I've ever seen or.....HELL NO! THIS MUTHA@#@$@%@#!

My conversation with the driver: " This guy I don't know..... I told him I cannot take the car with the windshield like that. (blue masking tape) I got big ticket. I tried to call him, police tried to call him..." I tried to call him too, since Friday. He has not returned any of my calls! I also have damage to other vehicle because of windshield. I'm sorry. In my contract, not responsible for loose parts. See here....

What can I say, the guy did his job and fast. I had to cough up the dough! He asked me to call and price a windshield. Safelite quoted me $350 to have it taken care of. Driver: "You know I put car in gear and it still moves, maybe no have transmission eh?" What else is going on here I said to myself. Upon further inspection I don't see any rear rotors, springs, shocks, differential, drive shaft. I am surprised its on all 4 wheels. I felt rapped! These spare parts he was referring to must be from the car itself! To top it off the car was repainted and a horrible job at that. The color was off and you can clearly see its not right.

I am done with Craigslist! Too much deception. If all the information was disclosed to me I would have walked away and continue my search. I was so nice to send him an extra $70 to cover the paypal fees on top of what I paid him! :evil:

I was so pissed! I had paid him thru paypal so there's some type of protection for the buyer. I opened a dispute for Item not as described.

On a positive note the car is worth something and not trying to get the car for free and thing a re-negotiation is in order or he can tow it back to Cali!
There are a few new parts on the car...Cylinder head with no cams, the rear subframe looks new, so does the exhaust system although mounted poorly. The engine looks intact, everything is in German even the valve cover and air filter case, No rust issues, All interior instruments in German except the Speedo and Tach. A new headliner in the box with some water stains but in white I believe it will cleanup but may go a different route on this. It has the BMW sport steering wheel, very comfy and feels right. Had little tiime to go over the car. I had to get a tow truck to take the vehicle to my garage. Probably won't have time to go over the car in detail until after vacation. This will be a job. Hopefully, paypal did not release the funds as yet and have this guy answer some pending questions to the police, the driver and myself. Here are some pics of the car as it is now.

I think this will be an interesting story and hopefully turn this lemon into lemonade and an inspiration for future shark heads in the long run. Luckily the 88 is still here that I can salvage parts from. I may have to hit the books hard on this one. I was just getting used to the 88 motor and the 85 Euro engine looks nothing like it, well...almost. I need the gurus on this one with suggestions for improvements while trying to do an inventory of loose or disconnected wires. Now that I have the VIN I will have a better idea of more details on the car. Wish my luck on the negotiations, paypal is giving the seller 10 days to respond. Keep y'all posted.
Hefeweizen

Post by Hefeweizen »

Best of luck and I am sure you are going to turn this into a sweet lemonade. Anyone can buy a car nut it takes a true enthusiast to turn a lemon into a sweet lemonade!

So sorry you got raped in the process!
Rainer
03 330Xi (DD)
85 635CSi (RIP 3 May 19)
80 633CSi (Red Euro, Project)

"If you think a good European mechanic is expensive, try a bad one!"
Masked Man
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Masked Man »

Dude!

That sucks out loud and I'm sorry for your unfortunate experience. Hopefully other would-be owners of BMW635CSi's will learn from your misfortune. However, while I empathize with your plight? Craigslist isn't to blame. They post numerous warnings throughout their site, the most salient being:

DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts.

Now you might not have been able to fly to California to view this vehicle but there are a shit ton of us 6er owners already here in Cal. and I for one have quite cheerfully gone and checked out vehicles for prospective buyers. This forum is a resource. We all want a good outcome for ANY prospective Big Coupe devotee. ASK US! Maybe folks here know the car or the owner and can vouch for or wave you off from getting involved with them.

Again, I'm sorry you got taken

Phillip

PS Where in CA was the vehicle?
Masked Man

85 635CSi Euro
Big Brake Upgrade
Ireland stainless exhaust
Upper & lower control arms
New tie rod kit
1988shark

Post by 1988shark »

The car was located in Modesto Ca, I conversed with this guy over a period of two weeks. I knew there were some issues with the car but I did not think of using forum members aaaaghh! Ill know next time. You are right I really cannot blame CL but just my experience with dishonest people is now 2-0. But hopefully, his lesson is learned if he cannot withdraw any of those funds from his paypal account. Even in my Ebay auctions I try to disclose all information so my buyers purchase with confidence an no surprises. Well, today he has 9 more days to reply if not he will loose the car and his money. Not to mention he may be sued for damages to other vehicles caused by the flying windshield. Who would have guessed selling a car would cause so much headaches.
Freshbread

Post by Freshbread »

Wow :shock:
Rough experience. Live and learn man...live and learn.
1984 745i, 2014 Fiesta ST
1988shark

Post by 1988shark »

Aug 14, 2012 Update:
Well, this evening logged into my paypal account and no disputes present. So, the plot thickens. Turn out they do not cover purchases on vehicles. Unless it is thru Ebay, then they can work to resolve the issue. Aye ya yay! Dammit! I thought I had the upper hand in this deck of cards. Well, I was advised to go to my bank and file a merchandise dispute and reopen the case thru paypal then they would work with my bank and hold the funds or place a negative balance in his account. Still this does not guarantee I will get my money back. What the HELL! This lemonade is getting sour by the minute.

So, as it stands these are missing on the car:
No drive shaft
No rear axles
no rear rotors
No differential
No windshield
No headliner
No passenger highbeams
No passenger interior door handle
My seats are vinyl and with the fronts in vinyl and velor combo
parts of the interior was painted black. ughhh! All original MY ASS!
Instrument cluster is US type
dash cracked like a dried lake bed
blue carpet, black seats
its an AUTOMATIC!
Needs a paint job
missing kidneys
No fog lights
rear speaker pods look like shit and mangled for some 6x9 speakers
I am pretty sure the list will get longer...
Let me cheer myself up a bit here.......I'm getting depressed!

M30 engine looks intact just covered in a lot of dust might clean up nicely
new shocks and HR springs in the rear
Rear camber adjusters installed? have to verify. Wheels have the gangsta lean.
brand new cylinder head...don't know if its an M30 (no cams, rockers, rollers)
rear sub-frame looks new, and suspension parts in rear looks new. I'm starting to feel better now.

Oh SHIT! I just remembered I got scammed by Caribbean Cruise Lines. I gotta pay twice for my vacation and fighting to get my money back from them too. DONT EVER DO ANY BUSINESS WITH THOSE FOLKS! I'm starting to feel lint in my pocket. I'm getting depressed again. I need a drink! :cry:
Griffter

Post by Griffter »

Sorry to hear your tale. Must admit a couple of times on here i've read of you guys in the states buying unseen then paying $1000 to have the car shipped. Given the number of cars I've seen where, shall we say, the sellers appraisal and my own have differed I find this a risky strategy. Anyway if you finance PayPal with a credit card does that offer extra protection through the credit card provider?
1988shark

Post by 1988shark »

To be honest the car may be worth what I paid for it but the price for deception is pretty high on my list. I definitely would not have paid to have it shipped. And with a blown out windshield [-X
1988shark

Post by 1988shark »

UPDATE Aug 16th:
Not getting much cooperation between the bank and paypal. Paypal is saying I cannot be covered on vehicle purchases, go to the bank file a dispute then it comes to us we can do something. The bank is saying Paypal does not accept disputes from their institution, not sure if they can do anything to help. Im just getting bounce back and forth. I think I'll just take my lumps Sir! its just easier to say FUCK IT! and move on. I filed some papers revoking withdrawal from paypal maybe this stirs up some water and place the funds on hold, who knows.

Well, gotta go shopping for some sugar for my lemonade. I think I will call this car the phoenix instead of Jaws. It will RISE from these ashes!
1988shark

Post by 1988shark »

Aug 16th Update:
Well, after being frustrated I went shopping. Yes! I got some sugar for my lemonade. I bought some wheels in Germany, I really like the Style 5 but like another forum member said, everybody's rock'n them. Not to mention they are a bit pricey too. I found these wheels 16x8 5/120 ET13 by Remotec, used but should polish up pretty nicely. Ill keep my eyes out for a 9" or 10" for the rears. Ahhh, I feel much better now :mrgreen:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... fresh=true

Well, I had a half hour to fool around with the bird and picked up my charged battery from Autozone. At first I was a bit nervous when connecting the battery because I turned the key and no power. I wiggled the cables a bit and the wiper motor started moving. This is a good sign. I will have the terminate the posts properly to the battery for further troubleshooting. I did not try to start up since it has no spark plugs in the head and radiator fan.
Not sure if this car really has a head gasket problem as the PO stated. He's lied to me before. Cant take his word! The coolant tank is dry as a bone, I checked the oil and it looks as if was just poured out of the bottle. Usually, in my experiences with other engines, blown head gaskets causes coolant to mix with the oil and you end up with what looks like chocolate milk in the pan. :-k
I'm still trying to see if this color "cosmo Blau" will grow on me. I can't really figure it out because of zero lighting in the garage and its under a ton of dirt. I was thinking of repainting charcoal grey, phantom black (audi), or brilliant red. The only issue I have with repainting is that the engine bay and every nook and cranny has to be repainted. This can be costly. The engine would have to be pulled and everything stripped out of the car. Does anyone have a Cosmo Blau cleaned up they can post so I can see what this color really looks like? I know the color may appear differently across monitors but I will have some idea.
1988shark

Post by 1988shark »

kronus

Post by kronus »

Nice wheels! What's that going to run you for shipping?
1988shark

Post by 1988shark »

kronus wrote:Nice wheels! What's that going to run you for shipping?
140 Euros
Overall, not a bad price since I got the wheels at a bargain. I am currently working on a set or 9"s. If I get them it will make 2 staggerd sets. I may think about selling or keep as a spare. Refinished these go for around 1500 Euros but I would sell for $1500 if I get them at a reasonable price. They are collectible, no longer in production. These are Remotec's answer to BBS RS in a one piece.
kronus

Post by kronus »

1988shark wrote:
kronus wrote:Nice wheels! What's that going to run you for shipping?
140 Euros
Overall, not a bad price since I got the wheels at a bargain. I am currently working on a set or 9"s. If I get them it will make 2 staggerd sets. I may think about selling or keep as a spare. Refinished these go for around 1500 Euros but I would sell for $1500 if I get them at a reasonable price. They are collectible, no longer in production. These are Remotec's answer to BBS RS in a one piece.
Dang, you got those for a bargain. Well done!
1988shark

Decisions..decisions....decisions

Post by 1988shark »

After much comptemplating, I think I will start working on the cosmetics of the vechicle getting the interior bits done and try to bring this car back to its former glory. I've decided to keep the original color, Its just that simple to clean up the engine bay and throw on a new coat of paint. The vinyl interior has to go....if ya gonna do it, do it right the first time. I don't mind the black interior but with blue carpets one will have to go. I decided to keep the blue carpet, after all the car is COSMO BLAU I found the most beautiful blau in bufallo (bison) its a bit expensive but hey Ive got two years on my project. So, my seats and door cards will be in Aegan Blue and the door panels, dash, center console, knee bolster and glove box door will be in black. I am up in the air about the off-white headliner I already have or alcantara. The light fabric will help with the illumination in the cabin which is a bit dim and adds a felling of a larger space given the dark interior. Here's that blue I was talking about...

I wonder how many hides it takes to do the interior at $300 a pop! :-k
I'm gonna need some overtime, Boss!
1988shark

Post by 1988shark »

UPDATE AUG 19th, 2012:
I had 2 hours to kill on the bird this evening. I bought 2 sets of jack stands, so its time to get serious. Yeah right! Anyway I put some coolant in the engine, couple of spark plugs and decided to give it a start. I had my fingers cross, whaddaya know FAIL! it turns over strong but does not start.

After giving it three tries I started smelling fuel. I started looking around the engine at the fuel pressure regulator, injectors, intake manifold for wet spots nothing. When I look at the engine block it was like a waterfall, the fuel was just cascading down the side. where could the leak be coming from when its not at all the obvious places. I notice that the hose from the fuel return was wet, I tightened the worm clamp and gave it another try. Still more fuel leaking. I dried the hose and was just staring in space trying to figure it out when all of a sudden right before my eyes the hose was weeping. I guess there was still enough pressure after shutting the pump to expand the hose. So, making a long story short cant try starting the old bird until I replace all the dry rot hoses. After my vacation I will give it another shot.
One thing I did notice that I have questions about is the upper radiator hose. On my 88 I can squeeze it and touch the inner wall of the opposite side. On the 85 thee seems to be some kind of coil inside of the hose. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Since I have the car on jack stands now, I can take some pics. I think that the rear subframe has been replaced (upgraded) I will need some input on this. All the nuts and bolts are brand new. Lets just say the whole rear end is brand new. Looks nothing like my 88. I dont know if the 85 Euro were different is some way, I've never had one before.

I went through the spare parts box and found a wire harness and a motronic box and a couple of small parts. While going through a couple of threads on the bimmer forum I came across a conversion kit a guy was selling he had put together for Motronic 1.3. This got me thinking, I was wondering why he would have a 535i motronic box as a spare for a 635. hmmm...

Well, I think I'm finished shopping this week. Leaving for vacation on Tuesday. I picked up new set of calipers for the front and rears (750/540)Ill get the rotors after the vacation, prefer the sloted ones overall. My experience with Xdrilled is not so good for street purposes maybe for the track but they tend to warp or crack prematurely. I will snap some pics tomorrow and holla back at y'all after Disney, going to check out the mouse!
1988shark

Post by 1988shark »

Update Aug 20th, 2012
Got to take a bunch of pics today, maybe some of you looking at this can shed some information about what was done. Hope the pics provide sufficient information to draw a conclusion.
Here are pictures of the diff. I am convinced this is NOT the the one that came with the car. I see paint marks like they put on them from the junk yard.
Brand new cylinder head M30, good start for an upgrade. missing springs, rockers and cams. Any suggestions????
Any ideal what this vacuum hose is supposed to connect to?? there a screw and a zip tie on it.
The cause of my fuel leak...
You think any improvement can be done to this antique throttle body????
Undercarriage of the car looks new to me? No so sure if its E24, my 88 looks different.

Motronic 1.3? is it possible they were considering an upgrade from 1.0??
MöchteWeiß

Post by MöchteWeiß »

Several things of note:

I see no tags on the diff indicating that it's LSD, so it probably isn't. I'd look for one that is.

The throttle body is fine. You'll do better making sure the boot isn't cracked or leaking.

I'd guess, since your cruise control is missing, that it's the vacuum line for that. Since there's also a small line that connects there for your interior temperature sensor, it could be for that instead. Check on your lower left dash cover to see if the sensor is there - and whether it is connected to vacuum.

The 535i and the 635CSi in those years used identical engine management computers.

The 059 ECU isn't Motronic 1.3. It's Motronic 1.1. It's also what your car is wired for already.
1988shark

Post by 1988shark »

M?chteWei? wrote:Several things of note:

I see no tags on the diff indicating that it's LSD, so it probably isn't. I'd look for one that is.

The throttle body is fine. You'll do better making sure the boot isn't cracked or leaking.

I'd guess, since your cruise control is missing, that it's the vacuum line for that. Since there's also a small line that connects there for your interior temperature sensor, it could be for that instead. Check on your lower left dash cover to see if the sensor is there - and whether it is connected to vacuum.

The 535i and the 635CSi in those years used identical engine management computers.

The 059 ECU isn't Motronic 1.3. It's Motronic 1.1. It's also what your car is wired for already.
I guess this is a backup. So, 1.3 is 079 not 059. Were these cars wired for cruise control? I s it possible to salvage the parts from my 88 to reinstall it?
The boot is not torn or there's any leaks. Is there an advantage using the intake from the 88 instead of the 85?
If I decide on getting the head built what would be my best option for a turbo or NA cam?
I will take a look at the diff in the 88 so see what the spec on it is. I will try to hold out shopping for one unless I need to. What would indicate it is a LSD, would it be stamped or are there some numbers to look for?
Freshbread

Post by Freshbread »

I have a cam and rocker arms...lowball me.
If the dif is a LSD it may have a white S on the underside still visible.

That vac nipple is for your interior temp sensor, you may still have some of the white/tan nylon hose coming out by the harness on the drivers side engine bay.
1988shark

Post by 1988shark »

Freshbread wrote:I have a cam and rocker arms...lowball me.
If the dif is a LSD it may have a white S on the underside still visible.

That vac nipple is for your interior temp sensor, you may still have some of the white/tan nylon hose coming out by the harness on the drivers side engine bay.
Hmmm I like the idea of low ball'n would this cam be considered an upgrade or factory spec for the engine? If so, I can probably still use cam from the Euro or the 88.
Freshbread

Post by Freshbread »

Negative just factory.
1988shark

Back Home!

Post by 1988shark »

Update Aug 28th:
Got back from Disney, yesterday more tired than I left. They won't see me anytime soon...With the money spent I could have completed my engine build and have some change in my pocket! But, there's no price on the memories you create for the little ones.
That being said, I arrived home to see my brake upgrade kit. I was not complete. But I did get the calipers for the front and rear, now I have to do a search for 750i front brackets and 540i rear brackets. I ordered my rotors and pads for the front and rear (slotted, ceramic pads) should be here by the end of the week.

I am shopping now for some caliper and engine paint, this would be a good time to have it done while out of the car but I am having a hard time to choosing between colors. I do like the wrinkled finish, this is great if you have some pitting or cosmetic flaws on your valve cover or intake manifold. I will have to take a second look to see the condition mine are in. My other choice is a titanium finish and leaning more towards it if my manifold and valve cover are in pretty good shape.

I was browsing trannys on Ebay and came across a few post and it seems the more desirable trannys are the Getrag 260/5 and 265/5 or /6 could someone tell me the differences between them? I may go this route instead of using the one in the 1988, I dont know if its stronger, but I will have an increase in torque after upgrading the turbo to a GT35 and have the head reworked with upgraded springs and cam. My goal would be around a modest 400HP. For now I am working on my stopping power, makes no sense to go and you cant stop. If anyone have a set of brackets let me know. I thought I got everything I needed when I bought the calipers. I will post some pics after I get them painted.
kronus

Post by kronus »

G265 is a stout transmission that was put in for one year to replace problematic G260/5s. The 260 was then fixed and put in for the remainder of the car's production cycle.

If you have ambitious power goals, I'd look for a Getrag 280 out of a E34 M5, but I've heard of people blowing halfshafts before transmissions.
1988shark

Post by 1988shark »

kronus wrote:G265 is a stout transmission that was put in for one year to replace problematic G260/5s. The 260 was then fixed and put in for the remainder of the car's production cycle.

If you have ambitious power goals, I'd look for a Getrag 280 out of a E34 M5, but I've heard of people blowing halfshafts before transmissions.
Thank you Sir for the quick response. Now, what would I need to make it work in the 85 Euro. Flywheel etc.