1981 635csi in South Africa

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Diverbelow

1981 635csi in South Africa

Post by Diverbelow »

Hi guys

I am in Cape Town in South Africa, and the proud owner of a 1981 635csi.
So I have been browsing this forum for a couple of months now milking it for technical information, and it's been a brilliant help! Thought it was time that I finally showed my "face" :)
In February of this year I bought a barn find 1981 635csi in Alpine White. The car is a one owner (before me) car with 131500km's on the clock (81700mil),I have the original purchase invoice for the car from 1981,all the original service books as well as the original radio still in the dash,a radio that was a princely sum back in 1981!
It had long been an ambition of mine to own one of these,and I am thrilled that I finally do. My current daily driver is an E90 4 door M3, but it doesn't have the stature or stately lines of my big 6!
Some of the issues when I bought the car was that it hadn't been started in about 4 years, was missing both the master and slave clutch cylinders,was on the original set of TRX tyres,the battery was absolutely shot,the under panel underneath the steering wheel was stuffed in the boot (trunk I guess?),there is no aerial and the exhaust was falling off (it actually eventually did fall off....there were no rubbers holding it in place!)
Since then, I have replaced the clutch cylinders,drained the 5 year old fuel,drained all the fluids (except for the oil,which had been changed recently by some unknown source) from the water system,replaced the battery,the fuses and the tyres. The car starts first time every time,but I don't have an exhaust on from the downpipes back (the back muffler had rotted through and needed to be replaced,so I removed the whole system because of the lack of rubbers) and it WILL kill you if you stand around too long inhaling the fumes!
The only real issue I have apart from the exhaust and a cracked windscreen (the previous owner gave me a very rare original that he purchased a few years ago to replace the cracked one) is that the car will NOT turn off when the ignition is turned off and the key removed! I am very concerned by this, so if anyone does have any advice, I would greatly appreciate hearing it!
So without further ado,I present my 1981 635csi,all the way from Cape Town in South Africa!
Please note that when these photos were taken I had a different set of wheels on,from an E12 M535i.Snuck in a couple of my daily drive at the end...lol
Hope this isn't spamming!
Cheers guys, and look forward to your help (especially with that not turning off issue!)

///Moe

Post by ///Moe »

Welcome!
Great cars both of them! :-)
E24 635CSiA 85' (garage queen)
E24 628CSiA 83' (turbo/manual?)
E23 745i 82' (turbo project)
E23 728i 86' (745i project)
E23 728i 79' (part's car) [x]
E28 525i 81' (part's car) [x]
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Nice. Gee the 635 cleaned up well. how does it drive?
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

doesn't turn off??? Oooh errr...

This may well indicate that the wiring to the main relay (which powers the fuel pump relay) has been modified or is faulty in some way.

Nice car BTW! M90 engine with first generation Motronic, nice light flywheel, 265 gearbox.... what is not to like..?

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Diverbelow

Post by Diverbelow »

Hi guys! Thanks for the comments so far!
Shipper,I actually haven't driven it yet as the exhaust hasn't been sorted yet. Hopefully that will be done soon though.It sounds smooth even with the exhaust system missing. I can't wait to get it onto a long open piece of road though,I have been told that these 3.5L engines are silky smooth and wonderful on the open road.
Moe, thanks for those kind words, I love both cars equally!
Brucey, I am not sure what the situation is, would you suggest I start with the fuel pump relay as a starting point? I used to have an SA built E30 333i with the same gearbox, the dogleg 1st sports shift, it's an awesome box and absolutely bullet proof!
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

An e30 333i? With the M30B32 shoe-horned into it?????
Diverbelow

Post by Diverbelow »

Shipper 01 wrote:An e30 333i? With the M30B32 shoe-horned into it?????
Yup. In South Africa in the mid 80's because of Apartheid we didn't get the original E30 M3. So BMW South Africa made their own Alpina derived version of the M3. They took the engine and gearbox out of the then 733i, stuck it in an E30 body,gave the owner the option of aircon or power steering (the engine was too big in the engine bay to have both),strapped an Alpina intake and radiator on the car and sold it as a limited edition super saloon. It made 142kw and 260Nm of torque,which was quite something in small car. It remains the fastest and most powerful normally aspirated,non-modified E30 made. There were 200 of them made for homologation purposes for touring car racing in South Africa. But when the 333i was released in 1985 Motorsport South Africa changed the rules. In 1989 we got the E30 325iS Evo 1 to go racing with instead.

biggles

Post by biggles »

Good to see you active on the forum.

I have some big worked planned on the 6 in the next few weeks so we may not be able to have that get together. Scunicks 6 project has nose dived as they discovered terminal tin worm badly repaired accident damage. It sounds like the whole front has been glued on with expanding foam and newspaper!! So all the bits are up for grabs. I am taking newly recovered sports interior, reconditioned gearbox, suspension and wheels. =D>

There was me thinking that there were no e28 based parts in south africa and suddenly I have dibs on practically a whole car!!!
81 BMW 635csi RHD Euro manual.
02 M5
02 MCoupe
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Love that 333. Hartge made a few 335's (six I think) and they were beasts. Over here in Aus I've seen an E30 325is with an M88 in it. With more than 286hp it goes like the clappers.

Did the 333 ever get to race after they built the 200 or were the rules changed before it ever developed racing history? Imagine this as a race car with 350hp? Curse rule changes!!!! Still, very interesting, post more history info if you have any.
Diverbelow

Post by Diverbelow »

Hi guys,sorry for only replying now,been a time of consistent travel and other encumbrances,so only managed to get back on the forum now (currently sitting in Luanda in Angola).
Biggles,that is sad to hear about Scunicks car,I know they had some big things planned for it,so it's a bit disappointing. That being said,do you know if the exhaust is up for grabs?LOL!!
I haven't worked on the old girl for a while now,been too busy,but I need to get that damn exhaust sorted out,just so I can go cruising!

Shipper,they never got to race them as Motorsport South Africa changed the Group N rules just after release, so BMWSA sat with a range of cars that were chronically overpriced and nowhere to race them. The E30 325iS was then launched to take over from the 333i in Group N racing in South Africa,with huge success. There were a few 333i's that were exported (I believe there are about 3 in the UK,and they cost the owners a fortune) and I do believe that 2 went to Aus,but I don't have any confirmation of this. If the E30 M3 and the 333i had faced off,the 333i would have monstered it. They were renowned for their straight line speed and wicked tail happiness. So unfortunately it never got racing pedigree like the M3 or the 325iS. I know that one was sent to the UK about two years ago,cost the owner something like GBP15,000,and he was prepared to pay.
peterpilot

Your new project

Post by peterpilot »

Hi Diverbelow,
I'm in Jo'burg (an ex-CT Wynberg Boy) with my two Sharks (81 & 85) and lots of experiences to share if necessary. Any advice? feel free to call.
I snapped up the '85 beaut a couple of years ago from Paarl. I have had my other 6 since 1998 and do all my own work.
You can check out my cars on my previous posts.
I have not mentioned this on the forum yet, but I bought up two old LHD 635 wrecks and I'm busy building a race car over the next two years.
I have stripped both, cut up and tossed the rotton one and have chopped out the rust and had the "good" body sand blasted and primed.
I built a rotissorie rig on casters for it and this has made life much easier.
Have cut out and replaced the damaged and badly repaired left rear panel (door to tail light) from another Jo'burg wreck.
So, just need to get some other "Jobs" out of the way and can't wait to get stuck into this project boots and all.
Nice to make contact with another 6 enthusiast in SA.
Cheers,
Peter (082 883 8380)
1981 635 CSI Euro Manual
1985 635 CSI Euro Manual
1998 540 I Steptronic
2004 K1200 RS
Diverbelow

Post by Diverbelow »

Hi Peter!

I've actually been told about you,the famous owner of two 635csi's! I believe that one of them you have done a slight modification to as far as seats are concerned, is that correct?
Either way,it's a pleasure to meet you and thank you for the offer of assistance,I may just be taking you up on it!
As far as my car is concerned,it's come on in leaps and bounds. I have recently refurbished the wheels, the pictures are in this reply.
I am at the stage where there are a couple of niggles that I am trying to sort out,but nobody locally in Cape Town seems able to help me due to the age of the car. The first is a rough idle issue that I am putting down to either timing or valve clearance, I am just not sure which one!! I am not sure if this car is Motronic or not (not sure how to tell??), so not sure if the timing CAN be set.
The next issue is a gearbox oil seal leak, which is worrying me a tad,as if nobody can help me with timing/valve clearance,who will be able to help me with a gearbox seal!
The last major issue that I can pick up is that the car will NOT go into 5th gear. It takes all other gears perfectly,beautifully in fact, it's just 5th. The gate doesn't even slightly open, it's as if it's a 4 speed transmission. I think it MAY be a linkage issue. I need a rotisserie like you!!
However, on top of the rim refurbishment, I have done a lot of tidying up and cleaning,gave the engine a good clean out as well as the boot,which was full of sand! The previous owner lived on a small holding outside Muldersdrift with about 6 or 7kms worth of dirt road. So I pulled the boot lining out and cleaned out all the muck. I also redid the front grill which was looking worse for wear, a new set of kidneys are on the agenda,although I'd like to keep the originals on the car. The exhaust has also been replaced and in between the rough idle you can hear that silky smooth 6 pot running.
So there are a couple of things that still need to be done,oh,and finding an aerial, but I am quite pleased with the progress over the last few months!
Updated pics below!

Engine before clean,but after the airbox had been cleaned and resprayed:

Air ventilation motors before cleaning. These were absolutely caked in dust and sand.

Rim during refurbishment.

Clean rim vs dirty rim before respray.

Closeup of rim before respray. Notice the tarnish on the lip of the rim closest to the tyre.

Inside of the rim caked in something or the other. Took a lot of scrubbing to get it off.

Again, this was before the rim was cleaned prior to spraying. Previous picture higher up was after cleaning.

Front grills stripped for respraying. Those rust spots under the passenger light cluster does worry me a tad.

Front bumper removed so that we could clean behind it on the actual mounts and body work itself. Again,caked in red sand.

Grills after respray. They just lifted the front of the car once we put them back on. We also cleaned the indicator lenses which made a huge difference.

The refurbished rims on the driver's side.Note the strip underneath the driver's door is resprayed in gloss black,as was original on the car.

Engine after a good clean. Still needs another one,but is vastly better than when I started. All the exposed contacts and sensors were covered with duct tape to ensure waterproofing.

So I am getting there slowly. Despite the vulgar idle,the car is driveable,although not over long distances. But she's getting there,slowly but surely.

Morgan
peterpilot

problems;

Post by peterpilot »

Hi Diverbelow, I am in Accra and have just typed out a involved message to you and then lost it all due to the internet here!!!!!!, so I will have to do it again when I get back....sorry. Your problems may be quite simple considering the car has stood for so long.
I'll go through them with you again.
I must go and sleep as I have have to fly my pax back late tonight.
Cheers
1981 635 CSI Euro Manual
1985 635 CSI Euro Manual
1998 540 I Steptronic
2004 K1200 RS
GripGreg

Post by GripGreg »

Diverbelow
Peterpilot might have suggested to change spark plugs and wires. Never use platinums!! I think the plugs are Bosch WR9,s? Never use platinums!!
Before you remove the plugs, I suggest you blow out the the holes they sit in because of the dirt & grime you found everywhere else?
You do have the early motronic.
Good luck,,,,Greg
Hit the apex
in Long Beach, Cal
Buster/'82Euro6 Build Date 9/81
Rosallina/'80 528i Build Date 4/80
peterpilot

Cape Town '81 635....Idle problem

Post by peterpilot »

Hi Diverbelow,
Quite correct, GripGreg, do not use Platinum spark plugs.
So let’s try again, starting with the inexpensive stuff; Your idling problem may simply be a spark plug/lead or worse a tight valve and therefore low compression on a particular cylinder. (this is not so simple if it has been like this for a long time as a valve may be burned…however, not likely) I sorted a fellow six owner here recently with the same system as yours, and it WAS a spark plug.
1. Get the car to Idle. With your leather gloves on, remove each plug lead one at a time. The revs should drop and the idle should become rougher. If this does not happen or hardly does, this cylinder is the culprit. Firstly, remove that plug (after pressure cleaning into the plug recesses) and swap it with another one. If the problem now moves to the other cylinder, you have established which plug is bad. If the problem remains on the same cylinder, then check plug lead (replace) or give the engine a compression test.

There is an Idle valve and circuit (Bosch Motronic 1.1) coming out of the rear of the main rubber intake boot and routing under the boot, through an aluminium Idle Valve and down to a Idle injector valve at the bottom of the intake manifold.
The idle valve has a screw (long flat screw driver) accessible from the front side of the intake boot and the idle speed can be adjusted here, but not the smoothness. Remember, after many years, any one of these boots and hoses becomes brittle and they often crack and suck in air….not good for smoothness.

2. Don’t concern yourself about gearbox oil seals, they are all readily available from Bearing Man etc. (is it the rear seal or in the bell housing?)

3. No 5th gear??…..make sure you don’t have the Dogleg Box (some came out with them around this time) 1st gear is left and back and 5th is rt. and back. Different pattern with 5th gear 1:1. Only the pre-80’s came out with 4 speed boxes. ( forgive me if you know all this stuff ). If it’s the o/drive box, maybe the two linkage bushes are so worn that the gear lever is failing to turn the exterior selector far enough get into the 5th gear gate. Very possible.

4. Valve clearances; 0.25 – 0.28 mm. Pretty easy to do.

5. Timing; Cannot be set.

Hope this helps a little, and I did leave you my Cell phone number on a previous post. Give me a call.
1981 635 CSI Euro Manual
1985 635 CSI Euro Manual
1998 540 I Steptronic
2004 K1200 RS
Diverbelow

Post by Diverbelow »

Hi Peter! Thanks a million for all the knowledge you have imparted there. I will start with the sequence of plugs and leads as you have recommended and then move around with other diagnostics if that doesn't give me any answers.

I do have your number, I will probably be giving you a call during the week if that is fine with you?

The plugs were replaced recently,however I am not 100% that the person who worked on the car last knew it very well or had much mechanical experience....the reasons for this little bits of evidence of someone trying to do some mechanical changes and failing dismally.

Thanks for the help so far guys,it's really appreciated. I will update once I have done the troubleshooting you recommend Peter.
Alpinacsi

Post by Alpinacsi »

GripGreg wrote:Diverbelow
Peterpilot might have suggested to change spark plugs and wires. Never use platinums!! I think the plugs are Bosch WR9,s? Never use platinums!!
Before you remove the plugs, I suggest you blow out the the holes they sit in because of the dirt & grime you found everywhere else?
You do have the early motronic.
Good luck,,,,Greg
As mentioned: don't use platinums. But I believe the correct plug for your car is the bosch W8DC or the resistor plug WR8DC. The WR9LS was a plug that was developed for the catalyst cars in North America. You will also appreciate the price difference between these plugs.
Alpina B9 coupe (Alpinweiss)
Alpina B9 sedan (Alpinweiss)
Alpina B6 clone in process (Alpinweiss)
Mini S (had to go: it was Electric Blue)
Rover Disco 1 (Alpine White)
Alpinacsi

Post by Alpinacsi »

Also as mentioned: check your shift pattern and you could have the sport or OD box with different patterns for each.
Attachments
od.jpg
od.jpg (3.65 KiB) Viewed 12542 times
sp.jpg
sp.jpg (7.32 KiB) Viewed 12543 times
Alpina B9 coupe (Alpinweiss)
Alpina B9 sedan (Alpinweiss)
Alpina B6 clone in process (Alpinweiss)
Mini S (had to go: it was Electric Blue)
Rover Disco 1 (Alpine White)
Diverbelow

Post by Diverbelow »

Hi guys, definitely the dogleg box. My car doesn't have a gear sequence layout on the top of the knob, but I am aware of it being the dogleg box.
I haven't gotten around to testing the procedures you laid out Peter, was away travelling and cleaning the car up.
I will most likely do this during the course of the week and revert back to the forum with any failures or successes.
Diverbelow

Post by Diverbelow »

Hi guys. Been a while since my last post and since then a lot of work has been done on the car. I changed the spark plugs as recommended, it would seem that the ones that were in the car were not the correct ones. I also had major issues with the fuel system and have subsequently replaced 90% of the fuel lines (except for the high pressure lines running to the engine),the fuel filter and the fuel pump. I discovered that the fuel level sensor in the tank also had a slight blockage that I removed. I also cleaned the crankshaft position sensor that was full of muck.After many attempts and building up pressure in the fuel system the car started. The rough idle issue seems to be a thing of the past,as the idle was very smooth indeed. Also,much to my chagrin, I realised I do not have the dogleg gearbox (this is both a relief and a disappointment) as the car has now developed a silky smooth 5 speed transmission with a lot of low down power in first and second,seems it is very tail happy indeed. I have a few small gremlins I am working on,but overall the car is coming along very nicely now,with the exterior being just about complete from a restoration perspective. I have not resprayed anything, except for the weather strips below the doors,and the paint is still original,just a lot of elbow grease and some tenacious washing and polishing from me using a DA polisher and lots of Meguairs,and the paint is starting to resemble its old self. So far I am very happy with the progress,considering that 9 months ago the car was a non-runner being exposed to the elements and wasting away. Below are some pics I took recently after the first clean with a clay procedure,followed by compound,and two polishes finished with a polish with a DA polisher. For before pics,check the first page of this thread.

Hawk

Re: 1981 635csi in South Africa

Post by Hawk »

Hi. I realise that this is a very old post but I wanted to find out whether you still have your 6 and whether you you would be keen to meet up somewhere in or close to Cape Town. I have a 1981 635CSi 5 spd manual (7th year of ownership) as well and would appreciate the opportunity to swap stories and perhaps parts?