9mil M106 E24 Turbo Build Thread- Finally! (Pic heavy)

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

9mil

9mil M106 E24 Turbo Build Thread- Finally! (Pic heavy)

Post by 9mil »

Posted over on MyE28 as the turbo resources kind of live over there... but thought I would push it over here too- Enjoy!

So I have been building a 1987 635csi over the last 3 or so years and I finally had some POC success the other day so I thought it was time to share the whole story – or build thread. I have posted numerous quandary threads over the internets and while I am not going to try to link to them, I am sure I will litter this thread with those reference points in the hopes that someone won’t have to re-live a mistake I have already made.

Here is the build summed up… I took a great running car and disabled it for about 3 years and made it very complex and somewhat useless ï
1987 635CSI 5spd
1984 928S Black/Black 5spd
1988 Lotus Esprit - LS1 swap
1996 VFR750
Other stuff not nearly interesting
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Good work on your intercooler plumbing!

sounds like a neat project.
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

One thing that stands out is the fact that you have fresh engine with nearly zero miles and you are trying to do a turbo set-up on it before it is broken in.

I would shoot for a real basic low psi set-up and put about 1000 miles on that engine before you hurt it. Long periods of idling not good.

Your system is a lot more complicated than mine at present.
A number of items on yours I need to get for mine, most importantly an intercooler.

- I have one staked out but I need to figure out how to fit it behind the air dam along with the oil cooler. I may consider an aftermarket airdam that extends forward a few inches past stock.

- You have all the components to make good wide range power with adaptability. Looking forward to seeing how it comes together.

- Good luck
Tim Bradham

Post by Tim Bradham »

Any updates on your turbo journey?
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

For what it's worth, here's an idea for the oil cooler. Use the space where the spare tire goes and ventilate it. Locate the cooler there and run aeroquip real stainless braided tubing to it. Cover the area with a gasketed, screw down cover so you can access it from in the trunk. You may also use stickdown insulation to control heat transfer into the trunk.

Great engineering and a very ambitious project!
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
RossDinan6

Post by RossDinan6 »

Why? The engine is in the front where the air flow is. Why run 20' of oil lines to a space with no air flow?

Ross
Turbo6
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Ross,
It's simply a matter of space. If he's got none in the engine compartment, look elsewhere. And if vented properly, there is great airflow under the car. Also, the supply/return lines also provide cooling (think of your home's baseboard fin-coil tubing if you have hot water heating in your house)

Just a suggestion

--Ken
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
RossDinan6

Post by RossDinan6 »

I asked my question from some experience.

There would be no, or nearly, air flow in the spare well as well as the need to run, what, 10+ feet of oil line each direction. My oil cooler is hung from an aluminum bracket I fabricated right behind my front valence. Hot lapping at Sebring in August I've never have seen over 185f.

By the way, I still have an intercooler in place also taking up space in my engine bay. Seems like a solution looking for a problem.

Ross