Ex LOCUTUS the fun and pain begin

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Ex LOCUTUS the fun and pain begin

Post by baders »

The CF air box will fit fine, just have to move the position of the ABS unit about 10mm. Down and to the left.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

So whens engine start up? It all looks fantastic. Woot again!
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

Shipper 01 wrote:So whens engine start up? It all looks fantastic. Woot again!
Prob about the same time as your dyno sheet. LOL.

I should not say too much. My engine build is at about the same stage as it was in 2015.

These things take time don't they.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Well, I'm currently away for work atm. Next break I hope ABS will have been successfully moved, and we can begin engine harness up and testing. Installation of new coil. Installation of new distributor. There's a bit of work to do to finish underneath the car, buttoning up exhaust, replacing rear brake hoses, bleeding brakes. The all ali Wizard radiator is going to require inlet/outlet port mods (positioning) to suit the S38. I need to wire in oil pressure/temp senders to the above digital gauges. As mentioned, the thermostat bottle offtake will also need chopping at the same time as the radiator work. Hooking up throttle cable. All coolant hoses. Fuel rail. Fan and clutch. Air con (can probably wait). I'd like to clean the injectors. Pre-start engine prep work. Arrrghhhhh, it never ends ](*,)
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

It does never end.

Gaz, I ordered the valve adjustment tool from Pelican Parts today. Should be in early next week. I think we will be right to go to dyno by the end of the month but it takes time.
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Talk about glacial. Progress on this has been slow. My BMW mechanic is doing "mates rates" for me so it takes a back shelf to paying jobs. Still, small steps lately. The Wizard radiator has had surgery to modify the intake/outlets to suit the S38. The bracket to lower the ABS has been made. I completed the engine harness to a state where we could "dry start" the S38. This was to check for starter operation, fuel delivery, injector pulses and spark. I'm happy to say that all those items are up and running !! I had extended the harness to be able to mount the relays in the same position as the 6's are. E34 relays are over on the right hand side. Glad to see my wiring all working OK :shock:

He's away for a bit now so will be some weeks till next progress #-o Need to source or make up top and bottom radiator hoses. Should be able to mount up the CF air box and MAF, and hook up the throttle linkages and gooooooooooooooo.

Once she is on the road I need to engineer the air con system, much like Song has.
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

baders wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:40 pm Talk about glacial. Progress on this has been slow. My BMW mechanic is doing "mates rates" for me so it takes a back shelf to paying jobs. Still, small steps lately. The Wizard radiator has had surgery to modify the intake/outlets to suit the S38. The bracket to lower the ABS has been made. I completed the engine harness to a state where we could "dry start" the S38. This was to check for starter operation, fuel delivery, injector pulses and spark. I'm happy to say that all those items are up and running !! I had extended the harness to be able to mount the relays in the same position as the 6's are. E34 relays are over on the right hand side. Glad to see my wiring all working OK :shock:

He's away for a bit now so will be some weeks till next progress #-o Need to source or make up top and bottom radiator hoses. Should be able to mount up the CF air box and MAF, and hook up the throttle linkages and gooooooooooooooo.

Once she is on the road I need to engineer the air con system, much like Song has.
Let me know if you have any questions about the A/C. I know way more about the A/C system than I ever thought I would. It's been working very well blowing at about 42-44 degrees Fahrenheit. I just used it today. It was only in the low 80's but the car was warm inside after lunch. Best of luck.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Thanks Song. I'll be certain to pick your brain as automotive A/C is not one of my strong points.
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Well, I finally have news to report on this long running project. LOCUTUS is up and running with the S38B36 and back at home. Lots still to do with harness, cluster signals, A/C, and so forth. I'm here to report that the S38B36 is smoooooooth and powerful, so lots of good cruising to be had in the future. Big thank you to Rubin and the boys at BM Autohaus here in Perth.
635_homecoming01.jpg
635_homecoming01.jpg (618.75 KiB) Viewed 15136 times
635_homecoming02.jpg
635_homecoming02.jpg (711.12 KiB) Viewed 15136 times
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Just wondering if I could get some advice on the best bonnet liner to get ? That crappy foam has to go. What's your experiences ?
Last edited by baders on Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

baders wrote: Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:10 am Just wondering if I could get some advice on the best bonnet liner to get ? That crappy foam has to go. What's you're experiences ?
Well, I ordered OEM BMW foam and it works a treat. It was around $90 for the set. I documented it somewhere in my project restoration posts.
The trickiest (labor intensive) part will be getting all the old foam and adhesive off. That is a real pain. Some folks used a drill attachment and it was much easier, so I am told.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jps635 »

This http://www.classic9leathershop.com/inde ... rsion=true.- the 1/4" stuff. Looks good and can wipe it down if it gets dirty. Use 3M 90 Hi-strength adhesive, and Westech citrus cleaner / adhesive remover with plastic scraper to get the old stuff off and/or Fuel lite. It takes a while but not that bad. Tape a sheet of paper across the engine bay to catch all the crap.
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Yep, I saw that on Ebay and it looks the goods. Thanks JPS. Today am sorting out instrument signals. Worked out the C103 connector match up to S38B36 harness and about to test.
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

I forgot how much fun tinkering with this car could be. Bolted the ECU back in and started Tesa taping the harness. The C103 connector was rejoined (carries the engine RPM and fuel rate (econo gauge) signals). Tested tacho operation A OK. As you can see I mounted the overflow bottle on the right hand side as ran out of room over left. Will need to extend wiring back over to the bottle level sensor. I have several old M30 harnesses to cut out and use correct wire coloring. Mounted up the new coli and tested. Tomorrow will also need to extend the brake reservoir level sensor wiring as it is about 10 cm short with the E34 M5 harness.

Next big mission will be to hook up Roland's digital oil temp/oil pressure read outs.
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

baders wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:53 pm I forgot how much fun tinkering with this car could be.
Very good progress Paul. I interpret this staement as" I can't wait to release the clutch while the S38 is spining happily". Of course I am probably wrong but there's a distinct possibility I'm right.

Wondering if you heard from Vinny recently. I hope he's still with us.

Thanks for the update.

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Thanks Ralph. Oh, I've already released the clutch, if only briefly :D I needed to make sure all the safety signals are properly connected before giving her a full head of steam. Finished mounting up the ECU and lengthening the brake pressure and overflow bottle level sensor wires today. I need more Tesa tape though hahahaha. You go through a lot of that stuff.

I also readjusted the throttle cable and levers to operate better. Remember transitioning from E24 throttle cable to E34 M5 ITBs. Heading off to work tomorrow nice and early but will get back into it in a week or so.

I've not heard from Vinney for some time but will make an effort to contact him next break.
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

I'm off work at the moment. (Long story. Second cervical fusion probably coming up soon) :(

Didn't stop me from doing some things on LOCUTUS though (I get bored easily and to heck with the pain). Have started on the engine harness and have installed Roland's digital gauge module. When setting up the throttle cable testing idling and mid range RPM, I noticed exhaust headers on cylinders 5/6 were glowing but not the others. Obviously running lean. This became my primary task and upon removal of the CF airbox found that the intake hose pieces on those cylinders were hard and brittle, with cracks. These are the rubber pieces between the two hose clamps that mate up the intake horns to the CF airbox.

Had sourced these from FCPEuro (big plug for these guys. Been using them for 4 years and not a single problem) and the units arrived in 5 days ! They also offer lifetime replacement on most parts. You cannot do better than that. Anyways, replacements installed and cylinders running nicely !

Next steps are to finish the engine harness and remove the oil filter housing to investigate installing the oil pressure transducer/switch and oil temp sender. I'm running the old M30 oil cooler type filter housing, as it points downward and the S38 unit would have fouled the CF airbox. More to come.
Attachments
intake hose replacement.jpg
intake hose replacement.jpg (754.11 KiB) Viewed 14924 times
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Mmmmkay. Started her up today and noticed that the oil pressure warning light stays on at idle. Goes off above idle. I'm guessing that either the pressure switch is dodgy or the oil pump pressure relief valve is stuck partially open. I'm sure it's getting some oil as the top end is in no way rattly. Making a priority to install the oil pressure sensor that came with Roland's kit. This means taking off the M30 oil filter housing to find a way to install the sensor. I'll get the actual oil pressure reading then can decide to rebuild the oil pump.

Oh, and I have an appointment with a neurosurgeon tomorrow to discuss going under his knife again :shock:
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

baders, if you don't have an oil cooler, you can put the sensor as seen in the photo below :wink:

However, if you have an ///M, think you probably have a cooler :-?

And what's this with you going under the knife, again [-o<

Geez, more people with serious health issues on our board :(
Attachments
Oil temp sensor 1.JPG
Oil temp sensor 1.JPG (55.75 KiB) Viewed 14888 times
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Thanks Bobbo. Yes, mine runs the oil cooler. I'll have a better picture of where I can place the pressure sensor when I get the oil filter housing off.

Some 8 years ago I had a C5/C6 cervical fusion done as had extreme neck pain. Scans at that time showed problems also with C6/C7. Well, that has come to be a problem and looks like surgery again. Just off to the Neurosurgeon now and will find out more.
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Ouch, talk about a pain in the neck :-&

And, my bad, my photo is of an oil temp sensor, not pressure sensor :oops:

My apologies, ya think I might be able to actually read :roll:

Bottom line, with the oil cooler feed lines connecting into the oil filter mount, this wouldn't work anyway [-X
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

That's OK, I knew what you meant. On the M30, the pressure switch for the idiot light is mounted on the rear left of the engine head. On the S38B36, it is at the oil filter housing. I used the old M30 oil filter housing and pressure switch at the location red circle below. This may not be the correct switch (different operating pressures) for the S38B36 as RealOEM indicate different part numbers. M30 oil pressure switch according to ETM opens at 0.7 to 2.1 psi !! This, I imagine,is a typo as Bentley states 7 to 29 psi at idle.

There appears to be a large plug (marked green circle) which has an Allen head socket. I may be able to use this location. Another possibility is to use T piece fitting to run both pressure and temperature sensors. The VDO pressure sensor I have also incorporates at pressure switch. The temp sensor that came with Roland's digital gauges I will run in place of the old pressure switch (red circle). Hope to remove the oil filter housing in the coming days to get a closer look at what is possible.

The Neurosurgeon has recommended a nerve blocker injection at C6/C7 first. If that does no good then it's under the knife again :shock:
Attachments
sensor location 01.jpg
sensor location 01.jpg (703.93 KiB) Viewed 14849 times
M30 oil pressure switch.JPG
M30 oil pressure switch.JPG (12.99 KiB) Viewed 14849 times
Last edited by baders on Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

This one. Looks like a removable plug about M22 ? Anyone have any experience of this ?

m6dave

Post by m6dave »

I made a manifold to replace the existing switch using a banjo bolt and then put the sensor and the switch in the manifold.
Attachments
A2FBF80C-2F15-460E-B677-C012EDD3F2CE.jpeg
A2FBF80C-2F15-460E-B677-C012EDD3F2CE.jpeg (692.47 KiB) Viewed 14846 times
73D808E7-D9CB-43A8-9260-131E20D13E59.jpeg
73D808E7-D9CB-43A8-9260-131E20D13E59.jpeg (27.94 KiB) Viewed 14846 times
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Great idea. Don't suppose you have another manifold and banjo bolt Dave ?