Ex LOCUTUS the fun and pain begin

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

m6dave

Re: Ex LOCUTUS the fun and pain begin

Post by m6dave »

Sorry Paul I don’t have one atm but I could make another with some encouragement. What thread is your gauge sensor?
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Good on you Baders - thanks for the update and letting us know how things are progressing. I'm looking forward to seeing some pics of that car out & about again. Say g'day to Vinny for me too please if you're in touch with him.
-Ellis
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

That would be fantastic Dave. Let me get the oil filter housing off (hopefully tomorrow, see how I'm feeling) so that I can suss it out properly. Pretty sure both the VDO (analog pressure + switch) and the temperature sensor are M12x1.5mm.

Ellis I'll make an effort to contact Vinney this weekend.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Got the oil filter housing off today and looking at ways to mount the sensors. The allen headed "plug" is the pressure relief valve spring cap, so no go there. Dave's solution looks to be the best. Dave if you're up for it, possible to fab one of these up ? If so, let me know price.

My sensors look different to yours ? These were the ones recommended by Roland. I've included pictures of dimensions.
Attachments
temp_sensor.jpg
temp_sensor.jpg (541.38 KiB) Viewed 17932 times
pressure_switch.jpg
pressure_switch.jpg (558.5 KiB) Viewed 17932 times
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

I will also be looking to revamp my A/C system soon. I have a Sanden 508 clone and The Hack Mechanics "Just Needs a Recharge" (thanks Rob!). Does anyone know if the adapter brackets are still available ? These are the type Song used in this post;

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25858&start=350#p205290
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Picked up the extendable tube spanner yesterday from Ron. The little inner 635csi OCD man just got a buzz ! Thanks Ron !

Tomorrow morning though, I'm under the knife :shock:
Attachments
tool kit.jpg
tool kit.jpg (208.53 KiB) Viewed 17853 times
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Best of luck, Baders!
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

All the best for tomorrow Paul.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
NigelC

Post by NigelC »

Hi Baders, I hope your operation was a success today and you will soon be pain free. Best wishes, Nigel
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Thanks chaps, I appreciate it. Out out of hospital now and daughter is looking after me. Sore as hell and my esophagus is swollen shut. Had my second anterior cervical fusion (first one 8 years ago) and hoping for a great result. I can already feel the neck and arm pain is gone. Oh goodie, here comes the Endone. I'll check back in tomorrow.
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Well that was "interesting". After the last post and that afternoon, the swelling got much worse and I struggled to breathe. Luckily, my son in law is a switched on police detective and we warp sped to the hospital under lights. Straight to ED and they knocked me out and intubated so I could breathe. They did contrast CAT scans and found an 11cm haemotoma between the spine and oesophagus that was also squeezing the trachea. Woke up just long enough to give consent to the same surgeon and anaesthetist and they operated a second time to remove the clot. Woke up in recovery and they then moved me to ICU (I don't ever want to go there again). Back to the ward after a couple of days and then to the daughters place for a couple more for recovery. Am back home now. My chest looks like it has been used by Mike Tyson to practice body shots.

Going to take a couple of weeks for full recovery but I can potter with the car as parts arrive. Received the new A/C condenser, expansion valve, and filter/drier. Just waiting on the Sanden brackets from Jay (thanks mate !) I'll document the A/C process when all is in motion.

Also waiting for arrival of the oil filter adapter from Jordanmilos (thanks Milos !) I can then get the car back together and into a running state, with Rolands gauges operational I can be reassured about that oil pressure (or not).
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

Geez I like your commitment. Organising car stuff from hospital.

Hope you recover well.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Hehe well no Gaz, there was none of that. In hospital all I felt was miserably ill. Back home since yesterday and feeling much better and keeping the mind busy with various light chores.
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

For the A/C compressor, I chose a genuine US made Sanden SD7 H15 that I found at a really good price. This is the 7 piston version of the old Sanden 508 (5 piston), and has the same physical dimensions. Summers are very warm over here so I wanted maximum cooling capacity available. Unfortunately I have a slight problem for mounting.

I first looked at a set of the adapter brackets manufactured by Bill Nolan but then saw a complete solution made by Layne Wylie. Layne was great and sent me an accurate size drawing for me to print out and use as a dummy template. You can see that the bracket as original would interfere with the radiator lower hose. On the OE S38B36 engine A/C install, you can see the compressor is tucked right up tight on the crank wheel. Layne could possibly modify his bracket for me but Jay is sending the adapter brackets that use the original adjustment so I will look at that option first.

I chose the same size 16x19 inch parallel flow condenser as Song did in his marvellous thread and will be using the OE bracket to mount much as he did. I will remove the evaporator when I am able, flush it with acetone and replace the expansion valve. Once everything is mounted, we have a great shop here in Perth that will do all the hosing, evacuating, testing and gassing for me.
sanden sd7h15.jpg
sanden sd7h15.jpg (617.28 KiB) Viewed 17669 times
compressor_fitment04.jpg
compressor_fitment04.jpg (547.18 KiB) Viewed 17669 times
S38B36_original.png
S38B36_original.png (1.28 MiB) Viewed 17669 times
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Glad you are healing. I need to place A/C on mine next year so keep the documentation coming on this one.

Josh
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Thanks Josh.

Feeling well enough to start to get under the car in short bursts. Yesterday i put the A/C condenser and fan together using the original top bracket which was removed from the old serpentine condenser (a la Song). I found some alumiNIum [-X U section that fitted perfectly and was riveted in. The side brackets are also from the original installation though I had to shorten and re-bend one. These are riveted to L brackets made from the supplied steel.

Today I installed the condenser and fan. Pretty straight forward though I had to unbolt the oil cooler radiator to get access (2 bolts). Had jacked up the front of the car and my son helped me line it all up. For bottom brackets I utilised the supplied metal and self tapping screws. I may add more screws into the cross member but it does seem quite solid. As you can see there seems to be adequate room for the hose fittings and would indicate that the 16x19 inch size condenser is probably optimal for the E24 (E28).

Stupid me got it all together then realised I had mounted the fan so that the fan motor/resistor plug would not reach the harness plug. ](*,) Pulled it all out again and "clocked" the fan correctly, with my son laughing his ass off.

The oil filter housing spin on adapter from Jordanmilos also arrived (thanks Milos !) Went to the auto shop and got a suitable Fram PH8A style filter and put it all together. It all went together great and is testimate to Milos's engineering =D> Because the combination oil pressure transducer/switch is such a large mofo, there's not enough room to mount the oil temperature transducer right next to it on the flat. I can easily overcome this by mounting the temp sensor in the original position of the pressure switch. I had to slightly relieve out the passage as the temp transducer has a slightly longer sensing shank. I may get to installing this on the car tomorrow.

Also today I decided to remove the original 635csi 90a alternator and bolt in the S38B36 140a unit. You might recall that I totally refurbed the 140a alternator some time ago (couple pages back). I'm running some pretty hefty amplifiers and sound system and thought this would provide a good electrical overhead. About to install it and noticed that the alternator fan was rubbing on the frame when turned, WTF ? Pulled it apart and it seemed to be missing a spacer as indicated by RealOEM. I have several old alternators here and found the required spacer on one. Installed this and all is good. Hopefully get to install this tomorrow as well.
condenser_fan01.jpg
condenser_fan01.jpg (717.6 KiB) Viewed 17622 times
condenser_fan02.jpg
condenser_fan02.jpg (730.58 KiB) Viewed 17622 times
condenser_fan03.jpg
condenser_fan03.jpg (668.25 KiB) Viewed 17622 times
oil filter housing jordanmilos01.jpg
oil filter housing jordanmilos01.jpg (545.43 KiB) Viewed 17622 times
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

oil filter housing jordanmilos02.jpg
oil filter housing jordanmilos02.jpg (549.57 KiB) Viewed 17621 times
alternator_spacer.jpg
alternator_spacer.jpg (653.87 KiB) Viewed 17621 times
Jono B good

Post by Jono B good »

Well done!~ being in Aussieland you definitely need the AC as most parts north of Victoria are blistering hot in the summer, as it is now for all down under. Have a Cray on the beach for me mate! I hope the 6 white boomers bring you much joy this Chrissy season!

cheers from up here in the great white north =D>
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

Baders, glad to see my A/C adventures is helping someone! I also used a 16 x 9 unit and it's worked out just fine for the routing of the new hoses. It's been a full season now and the A/C is performing as well as ever. Where I live, it's pretty mild, so I have to remind myself to run the A/C now and then to keep things lubed up and operating correctly. Best of luck!
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Yes, deinitely helped Song. Thanks for you detailed write up.

Small progress today. Made up a mounting spacer for the 140a E34 M5 alternator. This has the wide lug spacing as opposed to narrow for the E24 era. Found an M8 threaded rod plus M8 hex threaded spacer and drilled this out to 8.5mm and installed successfully. The original 1055mm drive belt is just too long and the 1020 belt I had on hand is too short. Will need to find a 1045mm belt which should be about right.
bracket spacer.jpg
bracket spacer.jpg (611.34 KiB) Viewed 17542 times
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Some progress today.

Oil filter installed. Tight for room on 140a alternator but it's enough.
oil filter installed.jpg
oil filter installed.jpg (565.56 KiB) Viewed 17481 times
V belts installed. Had to source a slightly shorter alternator belt as ran out of adjustment. From 1055mm to 1040mm.
V belts01.jpg
V belts01.jpg (717.26 KiB) Viewed 17481 times
Alternator/oil filter housing top view.
alternator installed.jpg
alternator installed.jpg (753.69 KiB) Viewed 17481 times
Installing airbox and ITB boots. Went back together surprisingly easy.
airbox installing.jpg
airbox installing.jpg (680.71 KiB) Viewed 17481 times
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Grill clean up whilst they were off. The Poorboys trim restorer works very well. Finished with Aerospace Protectant 303.
grill trim clean up.jpg
grill trim clean up.jpg (741.62 KiB) Viewed 17479 times
Getting there now !
engine completing01.jpg
engine completing01.jpg (656.27 KiB) Viewed 17479 times
Roland's oil pressure and temp gauges up and running on start up. Note that oil pressure light gone (see before issue) and oil pressure registering nicely 1.3 bar (19 psi).
Roland gauges01.jpg
Roland gauges01.jpg (576.48 KiB) Viewed 17480 times
TBM

Post by TBM »

Baders!

Am I missing something? What plenum are you using? Can you post more pics of that piece and the entire area..Pretty please?
'84 M635csi
'86 Lotus esprit Turbo (sold)
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Hey TBM. I'm heading to the hospital to catch up with my daughter and new grand son but will post more tomorrow. I had the box custom made by Christian Opitz in Germany. His email is; [email protected] He was great to deal with and this was the second airbox I had made by him. The first (pictured page 3 ?) was simply too wide and would have taken major mods to fit. The second is an M88 version that he modded up for me with larger S38B36 ITB ports and inlet.
CF airbox01.jpg
CF airbox01.jpg (806.85 KiB) Viewed 17472 times
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Nice work Baders. Its all tidy, impressive stuff. Looks good.

Good to see the gauges up & running too.

Congrats on the grandson mate, Happy New Year!