Ex LOCUTUS the fun and pain begin

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ex LOCUTUS the fun and pain begin

Post by baders »

Having acquired this magnificent beast and getting off to a rocky start, things are looking up. I will keep updating this thread as there will me much interesting developments to come. I'll start with this however;

1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Alarm??

Parts are on the way Paul

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Ralph in Socal wrote:Alarm??

Parts are on the way Paul

Ralph
Hehe, thanks Ralph. It is the offending immobilizer. Completed a bit of work today. Washed the iron ore dust out and off, polished and cleaned the bright work. Interior got treated to 303 Aerospace protectant. Dismantled the windscreen wiper system as the system is extremely slow.

Tomorrow I will be completing works on the wiper system including checking of motor effectiveness, brushes, greasing of linkages etc. Whilst I have the blower out for the wipers, I will be giving it a birthday as well. I also hope to carry out a Leatherique treatment of the seats. I'll try to get pictures of this up.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

The leathereque works great especially on the light colored interiors. I'm in the process of dyeing my e34 grey seats and they have come up so well after 2 treatments of the rejuvinator oil & pristene clean.

Just a tip. U need 2 units of clean per 1 unit of rejuvinator oil.
250ml of oil and 500ml of cleaner will be enough for 2 treatments but if u have multiple cars it's more economical to buy the ltr bottles of it.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
M6 chris

Post by M6 chris »

Ha ha the first thing I did when I got my m635 was completely strip all the alarm and immobiliser out all they do is cause problems and everyone just ignores the alarm I have fitted my own security device a battery cut off hidden behind the petrol flap that just cuts power to the coil and leaves the rest of the car with power, I suppose that's the benefit of having the battery in the boot.
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

That is a good idea Chris.

Today I have stripped the wiper and blower systems and refurbished. The wiper motor mount had bad surface corrosion and the blower cover was the same. Stripped both back and resprayed with undercoat, 3 coats of gloss black, and 3 coats of clear lacquer.

Wiper actuator arms before;

The wiper arm body seals crumbled away upon dismantling. A quick trip to Bunnings found a rubber tap washer of similar dimensions. Necessity is the mother of substitution what ?? :)

I checked the blower motor and found brushes in good condition. Cleaned with CO Contact Cleaner as well as the blower transistor and blower motor itself. Re-assembled all and it came up a treat. Wipers working much better now.

The blower cover has a foam strip seal to body, that had deteriorated upon touch. Same trip to Bunnings uncovered a seal strip ideally suitable for the job !! Old seal at top. Refurbed blower cover same as above.;

Did not get to the seats today as the above took up much more time than expected.
Last edited by baders on Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
m6dave

Post by m6dave »

Paul
check out the range of por15 paint and restoration products, they will be a great help for stuff like this.
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Paul, that wiper pivot usually has a plastic black round cover over it. Sorry I can't link realoem as I'm on my phone and it's a pita.

Ralph

BTW - Nice work!! I would have used that alarm for target practice

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Hi Ralph. I'm not seeing that on RealOEM ? Perhaps I'm missing something.

I've just purchased a Franchi Phoenix 12 gauge shotgun, and the immobilizer will be making a one way trip to the range with me :evil:
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Item #19?

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Ralph in Socal wrote:Item #19?
Ahh I see what you mean now. Those parts are there, just not in the shot I took :)
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Progress shot. I think she is coming along nicely ! Wipers are now operating like they should.

I just love that Arctic Blue, it has really grown on me. Much of the work last few days has been in readiness for the licensing vehicle inspection. Kind of like the UK MOT. I've got that booked in for when I'm next on break from work on the 19th.

Last edited by baders on Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
2I6es

Post by 2I6es »

I'm on - yahoo - looking good Paul - keep going.

Cheers Vinny
$DO || ! $DO : try
try: command not found

02 XR6 (m) 5sp (OD) 1701 D - "ENTERPRISE"

Long time lover of all hot I6's - BMW 635, Ford XR6 and the mighty Chrysler E49 six pack Charger
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Heya Vinny. Hope you're feeling OK mate. Lots more to come.
2I6es

Post by 2I6es »

Access is intermittent but will make the most of time on.

Cheers Vinny - envelope sent yesterday
$DO || ! $DO : try
try: command not found

02 XR6 (m) 5sp (OD) 1701 D - "ENTERPRISE"

Long time lover of all hot I6's - BMW 635, Ford XR6 and the mighty Chrysler E49 six pack Charger
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Centre console replaced. Thanks Ralph !! Ralph also sent over new seat switches which were better condition than the originals. In the process, I found the problem why the passenger seat was not responding to controls at all. At some stage someone had got the plugs mixed up. Swapped them and all good on passenger side !!

Tomorrow she goes in for inspection and registration. Then it's off to BM Autohaus to check the S38B36 I purchased 8) =P~

Last edited by baders on Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

I aint going there Vinney :lol:
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

[Rant Mode] Yesterday I took the car for the Western Australian roadworthy inspection. Before taking the car down I made sure all safety items were spot on. Brakes, lights, indicators etc all up to scratch. Inspection takes about an hour of patient waiting. They take your car away and you don't see what they do, not allowed. Inspector comes back and says, "the car is in a poor state". I say WTF ??!! He says "there is a bad diff leak". I say, "the car has not dropped a drop of fluid in my garage for 3 weeks, the "leak" is residual from previous work done". He then says, there is a brake lining light on the dash board. I say "yep, it's a sensor problem, going to be looking at that when I start the resto. He says, "nope, all dash lights must be off, just like when it came out of the factory". I say "OK, but that means just about 90% of the cars out on that road (out front) are not legal. He says "not my problem. I says, "this is just another bureaucratic money making racket, you know this car is in a very safe condition". I say, "show me the diff leak". He says "errrrrrrr, no, I cant let you in the workshop". I say, "OK, lets take a quick look out here in the car park". He says "no, OHS laws will not allow me to look under the car out here in the car park". I say, "OK, lets get it back on your hoist so I can see where this "leak" actually is". He says, "you cannot come in the workshop, goodbye".

Needless to say, I will not be taking the car back to this inspection locality. [Rant mode over]
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

After yesterdays kerfuffle, I have pulled apart the doors to do the following;

Lubricate the window lifts, as both sides were painfully slow.
Fix the passenger door. It was not opening from the external handle.

After pulling off both sides door cards, I checked the PS door locking mechanism. Something wasn't right. What I found that was a previous repair had been botched. The white plastic key lock drive levers you see here where installed incorrectly. Pulled them apart and reassembled in the fashion you see below and all good.

Upon checking in this area, I found some iron oxide deposit just below the forward door channel. Treated this to a good rubbing back and rust rid.

Having taken care of that, I then proceeded to clean the window lift mechanisms with WD40, wipe off, and then some of that magic spray on WD 40 grease. Worked a treat. Windows now operating fast and smoothly.

Time to re-assemble the doors. I had some clear plastic book covering material and cut this to size. Just the ticket for the inner door seal !! Applied this with masking tape. Unfortunately, my camera is now flat battery, will post pics of that tomorrow.

Last edited by baders on Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ozibimmer

Post by Ozibimmer »

Car looks Fantastic
79 E24 633CSi
80 E24 635CSi
82 E24 635csi Race Car Build (Schnitzer Replica) viewtopic.php?t=21792
82 E28 JPS (1 of 2 Ever Built)
85 E30 JPS
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Thanks Ozbimmer. I was very lucky that Ralph had a correct centre console !!

Today I worked on the fuel gauge/sender system. The fuel gauge is not working at all. To test the system I went to my local electronics parts supplier and put together this;

It is a little test instrument that has 50, 100, 1K, and soon 10K variable resistors. As you see I plugged this into the fuel sender harness on the correct pins and can simulate the sender.

Success ! The gauge is working. By varying the potentiometer I could watch the fuel gauge go up and down. This means the fuel sender ist kaput which was backed up by removing and testing it with a multimeter. Have just bought a fuel sender from a member on here to replace.

Following this I jacked the car up and onto my stands at the rear. Got under and degreased the diff (read rant above for reason). Like I thought, the "leak" is just some overfill from a previous service !! I feel like heading back to the DoT and giving em a piece of my mind :evil:

Next I finished the drivers seat trims with parts once again sent over by Ralph. Not quite fitting right yet but it is an improvement.

You know, these are GREAT old cars. After fixing and lubricating the doors as above, they now spring open when unlatched and give a good solid "thunk" when closed. This is just like new and I bet most of the Japanese makes will never be this good in 30 years !!
Last edited by baders on Thu Dec 19, 2019 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Bit of an update. Have installed the BBS RC090 in 17x8 and fitted Kuhmo HS51 tyres in 245x45 rear and 235x45 front.

Here's what's going in soon I hope :)

Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

on that engine install, WOOT!!!
Ozibimmer

Post by Ozibimmer »

New wheels look great and looking forward to that motor in
79 E24 633CSi
80 E24 635CSi
82 E24 635csi Race Car Build (Schnitzer Replica) viewtopic.php?t=21792
82 E28 JPS (1 of 2 Ever Built)
85 E30 JPS
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

I had some surface corrosion and paint flaking around the drivers side exterior door handle. Disassembled the thing, repainted the area, and re-assembled.

I want the name of the BMW designer who came up with that idea..................I want to strangle them. Pictures when I calm down in a few days :evil: