1987 635 euro spec in the deserts of the UAE

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Desert635

Re: 1987 635 euro spec in the deserts of the UAE

Post by Desert635 »

spitfire980 wrote: Yalla, im down and im sure we can get '89 and an M6 to join for an E24 drive.
I have an '83, can you whatsapp me pics of the car please?
Thanks
For sure, pm me your number and I'll get some pics when I get down there again.
1987 635CSI Japan Spec
Was: R̶o̶y̶a̶l̶b̶l̶a̶u̶ ̶M̶e̶t̶a̶l̶l̶i̶c̶ ̶(̶1̶8̶9̶)̶
Now: Tiefseeblau Metallic (A76)

VIN: 0766354
Desert635

Post by Desert635 »

Got the block and head yesterday from the machine shop, head is 128.87mm now the bore is at 92.25 they did the valve seating as well as pressure testing the head. The head had one coolant port slightly chipped and two small corroded pits which they managed to completely fix. The quality of their work was top notch but they sure as hell gave me a lot of grief with communication. Forgot to get a picture of the cross hatching they did will do that tomorrow.

Finally got the miller gen3 maf, Brody and the crew at miller performance were really great had a few emails going back and forth trying to figure out what wires needed to be spliced before realizing I was having a blonde moment and was reading the early model instructions manual and had my head stuck in the complete wrong section of the ETM trying to figure things out, my brain was completely fried from all the different wiring we were fixing. Just a few more wires... just a few more wires and I'll never have to play with wires again for a long long time.... I'm hoping.

The recaros are getting reupholstered and should have them back in a day or two really can't wait. The remaining to do list is finally short enough to count on three hands now. Must keep pushing forward!
1987 635CSI Japan Spec

spitfire980

Post by spitfire980 »

Desert635 wrote: Finally got the miller gen3 maf, Brody and the crew at miller performance were really great had a few emails going back and forth trying to figure out what wires needed to be spliced before realizing I was having a blonde moment and was reading the early model instructions manual and had my head stuck in the complete wrong section of the ETM trying to figure things out, my brain was completely fried from all the different wiring we were fixing. Just a few more wires... just a few more wires and I'll never have to play with wires again for a long long time.... I'm hoping.

Make sure you load the software into the chip before putting it into the ECU and the maf plug should be plugged upside down.

Thats what happened to me when i got the maf and chip for my friends 87 M6 the night before eid! ](*,)

It was a headache until i figured out whats wrong
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car, Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, Torque is how far you take the wall with you."
Desert635

Post by Desert635 »

spitfire980 wrote:
Make sure you load the software into the chip before putting it into the ECU and the maf plug should be plugged upside down.

Thats what happened to me when i got the maf and chip for my friends 87 M6 the night before eid! ](*,)

It was a headache until i figured out whats wrong
I'll double check on that, the installation manual didn't say anything about loading any software onto the chip. I didn't get the war chip just the one that runs the maf.

The block got painted today, we're going to let it sit over the weekend for the paint to harden, we're going to assemble the head tomorrow and after the weekend pair them up.

Recaros picked up yesterday and today I assembled them. I'll need to order the webbing that goes under the seat. I found some on 2002parts.com, not sure if anyone on here has used them and what their quality is like.

1987 635CSI Japan Spec

orval2

Post by orval2 »

Tiefseeblau is such a nice color.
New Mediterraneanblau too.

Your car looks in good hands.
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

The seats look amazing, too. Nice color combination.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

Desert635

Post by Desert635 »

orval2 wrote:Tiefseeblau is such a nice color.
New Mediterraneanblau too.

Your car looks in good hands.
I fell in love with Tiefseeblau when I saw it on a currnet 6 series that came in for service.
dwcains wrote:The seats look amazing, too. Nice color combination.
Thanks, I had big ambitions of going with a caramel brown leather and alcantara but in the end played it safe and wanted to keep close to its time period.

Small update: we've assembled the cylinder head, valve adjustment is still pending. We put the pistons in the block and the crankshaft is torqued down.

Went through the parts I had come in, I got the uuc short shift evo3 with their double shear selector rod, and got the zhp short weighted knob from Germany this is going to be so much fun.

I've put in an order for a nardi wheel, also I'll need to get the manual trans crossmember from the US, currently on backorder in Germany and they said supply date is December.
1987 635CSI Japan Spec

Desert635

Post by Desert635 »

Here are some photos of the cylinder head

1987 635CSI Japan Spec

Desert635

Post by Desert635 »

Finally have the engine assembled!!! :D

While cleaning after re-tapping all the threads in the block to clear them out, the paint started to run off the block so we hosed it with petrol and I went down and got some proper high heat engine block paint, painted the block and the headers with it. Haven't finished polishing the metal oil filler cap so stuck some duct tape on the plastic one to make it silver :mrgreen:

Before puting the rest of the stuff on the engine i need to change out a damaged alternator wire, do the manual TPS swap, change two damaged sockets and do the wiring for the miller maf, then drop this baby in and maybe just maybe start her up [-o<
1987 635CSI Japan Spec

spitfire980

Post by spitfire980 »

Desert635 wrote:Finally have the engine assembled!!! :D

While cleaning after re-tapping all the threads in the block to clear them out, the paint started to run off the block so we hosed it with petrol and I went down and got some proper high heat engine block paint, painted the block and the headers with it. Haven't finished polishing the metal oil filler cap so stuck some duct tape on the plastic one to make it silver :mrgreen:

Before puting the rest of the stuff on the engine i need to change out a damaged alternator wire, do the manual TPS swap, change two damaged sockets and do the wiring for the miller maf, then drop this baby in and maybe just maybe start her up [-o<
Why dont you put some headers on it? I might have one available with me
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, Oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car, Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, Torque is how far you take the wall with you."
Desert635

Post by Desert635 »

spitfire980 wrote:Why dont you put some headers on it? I might have one available with me
Let me know if you've got one. I was going to order the supersprint headers but thought maybe in the future as I'm currently ordering a lightweight flywheel, clutch kit and some bits and pieces to complete the manual swap.
1987 635CSI Japan Spec

dwcains

Post by dwcains »

The color-matched cam cover looks very nice - great idea.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

Desert635

Post by Desert635 »

dwcains wrote:The color-matched cam cover looks very nice - great idea.
Thanks, we have the intake manifold done in the same way as well.
1987 635CSI Japan Spec

TBM

Post by TBM »

Desert635 wrote:
spitfire980 wrote:Why dont you put some headers on it? I might have one available with me
Let me know if you've got one. I was going to order the supersprint headers but thought maybe in the future as I'm currently ordering a lightweight flywheel, clutch kit and some bits and pieces to complete the manual swap.

Just some simple Advise.....You must balance the motor WITH the new lightweight flywheel. You will give your engine much more longevity.

Check out these guys in England: http://vibrationfree.co.uk/sterling-rat ... y=16322086
'84 M635csi
'86 Lotus esprit Turbo (sold)
Desert635

Post by Desert635 »

TBM wrote: Just some simple Advise.....You must balance the motor WITH the new lightweight flywheel. You will give your engine much more longevity.

Check out these guys in England: http://vibrationfree.co.uk/sterling-rat ... y=16322086
Thanks for the advice.
With the rebuild we checked all the tolerances and clearances, everything was within factory tolerance. To find a shop to professionally balance an engine might be a bit hard here and since this will be making stock power it's a bit overkill.
1987 635CSI Japan Spec

zinnocoupe

Post by zinnocoupe »

Nice work, engine looks awesome. I like the black engine block paint way more than the white. I think you would be always trying to clean the white( or I would) I ordered Recaro underseat webbing from Aardvarc and it is OK. Its not as wide as the original which leaves gaps larger than what was there before. When you sit in the seats the webbing sinks down quite a bit. I would have thought it would be a little tighter/stronger. Its not a big deal and there are a few cheaper ( maybe crappier as well) options on ebay. I have another set of Recaros Ill be refurbing someday and may try someone else. Its for sure better than the saggy old white originals!
1979 Euro 635ci no longer a basketcase, just a running rust bucket!
1977 530i Partially restored and running now!
1987 635csi 60K KM Garage Queen
Desert635

Post by Desert635 »

zinnocoupe wrote:Nice work, engine looks awesome. I like the black engine block paint way more than the white. I think you would be always trying to clean the white( or I would) I ordered Recaro underseat webbing from Aardvarc and it is OK. Its not as wide as the original which leaves gaps larger than what was there before. When you sit in the seats the webbing sinks down quite a bit. I would have thought it would be a little tighter/stronger. Its not a big deal and there are a few cheaper ( maybe crappier as well) options on ebay. I have another set of Recaros Ill be refurbing someday and may try someone else. Its for sure better than the saggy old white originals!
Well that's exactly what happened, I was cleaning off some oil and dirt from re-tapping the threads and the paint started coming off #-o so we resprayed with proper high heat engine paint and heated it post paint to get it to harden.
1987 635CSI Japan Spec

Desert635

Post by Desert635 »

The metal oil filler cap got buffed and some clear coat.

I installed the miller maf chip into the ecu and crimped the output reference wire to the main relay wire. Swapped the tps connector for the three pin on and finished fixing and cleaning the engine wiring harness. Now it's possible to bolt on all the ancillaries to the engine and drop it in when we're ready.

Remaining work will be:
- Change all shocks/springs and rear carrier bushings.
- Install lsd differential and gearbox and get measurements to know exact length of driveshaft needed.
- Install sound/heat insulation and carpet/headliner.
- Re-install complete interior and drive off into the sunset....

There are a few small things like the bad chrome job on the bumpers (will get them blasted and painted), foam insulation for the hood, wood panel under center console broken as well as the fender cover panels in the trunk(need to fabricate new out of wood or aluminium)
1987 635CSI Japan Spec

Desert635

Post by Desert635 »

Got the intake mounted on and some of the brackets, baby steps...
1987 635CSI Japan Spec

songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

That's so pretty! If I ever take my motor out...
Keep the photos coming. I'm learning by looking at your pics. Fun to see parts of the motor that are normally hidden from view.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

I wasn't sure how it would look when you mentioned painting the intake, but after seeing those 2 pics, all I can say is that your vision was correct. That engine looks amazing.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

Coming together really nice.

Love the painted cam cover and intake. It will be orsome when it's back on the road
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
Desert635

Post by Desert635 »

Will do Song, trying to push progress faster now to get her all done.

Thanks Dean, I'm not sure where I saw the intake and cam cover photos but was either here or on the Web but that's where I got the idea from.

Thanks Gaz I can't wait to get her on the road and start rowing those gears.
1987 635CSI Japan Spec

Desert635

Post by Desert635 »

Works been stopped for a very long time and finally was able to get myself together. Had some good luck with the gearbox, changed out the bearings, cleaned it up and made sure everything was free.

I've got no excuses left, I need to really get things done but I don't know why I even started searching through the classifieds to see what's in the market... I spotted a 70's Suzuki LJ. Must resist the temptation...
1987 635CSI Japan Spec

sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Love the intake mani paint job. What did you use? When you get 'er lit up, let's hear if the paint holds up. BTW were those stock valves?
Keep at it as you are almost at the finish line.
Ken
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)