1984 633CSi Rises again!

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 1984 633CSi Rises again!

Post by songzunhuang »

francoid wrote:I have not, but am very eager to hear how it goes for you :)
And do you see the slotted bracket on top for adjusting the compressor? Unlike what I have seen in REAL OEM and also from other owners of 6-series, I do not have the nice geared adjustment at the bottom where you can turn a nut and tighten or loosen the belt. I wish I did have that. My compressor appears to be pivoting at the bottom with the adjustment via those slots up top.

In any case, I got the A/C gauge kit this week. I'll be doing a charge service tomorrow. I hope this does something. If not, it'll be defcon 4 time. Everything will get pulled and redone.
Clearly not the best quality stuff I've ever seen, but hey for $40 what do you expect?
Clearly not the best quality stuff I've ever seen, but hey for $40 what do you expect?
AC Gauges.png (763.4 KiB) Viewed 6926 times
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Long day of fixing things - Tie rods, AC, Speedometer

Post by songzunhuang »

I spent the entire day doing a slew of things that I have been meaning to get to. Here's a quick synopsis of all the fun.

Tie-Rods - I purchased 2 new tie rods because the rubber boot on my driver side rod was split and oozing oil. Getting the old rods off were made a LOT easier with the Ball joint breaker tool that I got a while back. Forget the "pickle fork" and banging it with a hammer. This is the way to go. When they give, there will be a loud bang sound, but it's pretty harmless and just falls down.
Turn the big Hex screw and it'll pop those joint right off.
Turn the big Hex screw and it'll pop those joint right off.
1_jointbreaker.png (1.01 MiB) Viewed 6902 times
After getting the rods off, I decided that I wanted a clear indicator of which way to turn the rods to lengthen or to shorten them. I always get them mixed up for some reason. You can see I painted directional arrows with the word "Long" on them to help myself out. I still have to get the alignment done though. It's not right yet. Steering wheel is slightly turned to the right when going straight.
Tie rod with a clear indicator of which direction does what!
Tie rod with a clear indicator of which direction does what!
2_Longer.png (1.1 MiB) Viewed 6902 times
Next was the A/C recharge. This was to be a full evacuation and recharge. I pulled a vacuum for over 45 minutes but was only ever able to get -20psi vacuum. I have seen videos where it goes to -25-30psi. The good news is that after I shut it off, it held vacuum at -20psi for well over an hour. So I started the process of charging it back up. I could have sworn this car takes 3 lbs of freon, but alas there's a sticker on the hood that says 3.9lbs! Well I didn't have enough freon. I put in 3 lbs and hoped for the best. My vents only ever showed 60 degrees. It's supposed to get to 45 degrees. So my AC, though better is still not up to snuff. It was high 80's today and blowing at 60 degrees, the car was still a bit warm inside.

Another annoying thing is that I could never get the high pressure to the 200-250psi range. After all my charging, it was showing 150psi on the high side and about 45psi on the low. My understanding was that I was supposed to get a lot more variance. Could this mean a bad compressor or is there just not enough freon?
AC evacuate and recharge is a long job.
AC evacuate and recharge is a long job.
3_AC_Recharge.png (1.02 MiB) Viewed 6902 times
Finally, something that has been vexing me forever! My sporadic speedometer. I gave it one last try and took it out of the dash and reflowed all of the solder joints on the back of the Speedo. This took a lot of time and patience. I won't know until this coming week whether it worked or not. It seems to stop working when it's cold outside and then start again when it's warm. I am hoping it's a cold solder joint that expands when warm, just enough to make contact. Honestly I don't know. I'll report back and tell you how it went. So far, driving around today, it was fine - but then again, it was warm today.
It takes patience to de-solder and refloe every joint in the back of the speedometer!
It takes patience to de-solder and refloe every joint in the back of the speedometer!
4_Reflow.png (1.25 MiB) Viewed 6902 times
Last edited by songzunhuang on Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

I'm pretty sure the 3.9lb charge is for cars with the rear a/c. For the front-only a/c cars the charge should be ~38oz if using R12, or ~31oz if using R134a (~20oz for R152a). So, I'm guessing you're way overcharged, regardless of which refrigerant you're using.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

francoid

Post by francoid »

All in a days work... I am very impressed... Needless to say, I am not that efficient!
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

speedometer - initial indicators are good!

Post by songzunhuang »

This morning I drove the 25 or so miles to the train station and it was 63 degrees outside. Normally, my speedometer is intermittent under these conditions, but not today! I got to the station with an indicated 25.6 miles on the odometer and the speedo was solid the whole ride. I am excited that after almost a year, I many actually have a working speedometer. Yeah, you have to be an old car nut to understand the feeling.

My solder joint re-flows may have done the trick. [-o<
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Oh, it's looking good for the working speedometer.

Post by songzunhuang »

Today on the way home my speedometer kept up it's good work. I got home with an indicated 59 miles on the trip-odometer. That's about perfect! There was an accident in my normal route and I went through a very entertaining mountain road. I got home with just enough time to make a quick adjustment to the tie rods in hopes that I could eliminate a little tug to the right that I was experiencing. I wish I could do my own alignment accurately without it taking forever. Still, I was able to pull off the quick adjustment in about 15 minutes! One quarter turn shorter on the driver's side and one quarter turn longer on the passenger side. Those painted indicators on the tie-rods are a lifesaver. Highly recommended if anyone changes their tie-rods.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

dwcains wrote:I'm pretty sure the 3.9lb charge is for cars with the rear a/c. For the front-only a/c cars the charge should be ~38oz if using R12, or ~31oz if using R134a (~20oz for R152a). So, I'm guessing you're way overcharged, regardless of which refrigerant you're using.
That's what I thought too, but there's an original sticker on the hood that says 3.69 lbs charge, clear as day.
What's a guy to do?
It says 3.69 lbs of freon.
It says 3.69 lbs of freon.
Charge Sticker.png (889.99 KiB) Viewed 6866 times
This is the only picture I could find in short order. It was from the time I re-did the hood foam. Still you can make out the 3.69 lbs of freon that is shown on the sticker on the right.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

I know, but that's just not correct. Maybe the hood is from a later car?
Dean
Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Finally, Instruments done.

Post by songzunhuang »

Just checking in to note that after 3 weeks the speedometer and odometer has not missed a beat. Not only that but the fuel gauge also appears to be working and is fairly accurate. After three fillups, each time it took 11 gallons and the gauge indicated 1/4 tank before the fillup. That all checks out.
This is picture of the FINAL instrument cluster repair.
This is picture of the FINAL instrument cluster repair.
Instruments repair.png (1.85 MiB) Viewed 6813 times
This is what I like. All things working as they should.
All systems go. Now I can move on.
All systems go. Now I can move on.
Instruments working.png (575.43 KiB) Viewed 6813 times
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
captain awesome

Post by captain awesome »

Good work Song. I don't think there is much that actually works on my cluster other than the tach. One of these days I'll get it all fixed.
84 633csi 5 spd

dwcains

Post by dwcains »

Nice work, Song. I just bought a Euro E28 cluster, currently en route from Latvia, to scavenge parts from to rebuild my E24 gauge cluster. I want the Euro gauge faces, but also my temp gauge is twitchy and the SI indicator doesn't work. Hopefully, I'll end up with a result as good as yours. Thanks for the pics and your insights.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

dwcains wrote:Nice work, Song. I just bought a Euro E28 cluster, currently en route from Latvia, to scavenge parts from to rebuild my E24 gauge cluster. I want the Euro gauge faces, but also my temp gauge is twitchy and the SI indicator doesn't work. Hopefully, I'll end up with a result as good as yours. Thanks for the pics and your insights.
Yeah, this was a year long ordeal. I am so relieved that I got it taken care of.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Security Camera stills

Post by songzunhuang »

I have a security camera set up monitoring my driveway so that I know when people are coming up to the house. These pictures are sent to my email. Each workday morning and evening, it captures a shot of me leaving or arriving home from work.

Last week as I looked at the picture it sent to my phone and I was admiring the nice lines of the BMW coupe. Just for kicks, I thought I would post it here. It's interesting to see yourself coming and going.
Six stills of me arriving home on the e24.
Six stills of me arriving home on the e24.
Screen Shot 2016-08-28 at 9.46.31 AM.png (494.34 KiB) Viewed 6744 times
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

AC at 56 degrees

Post by songzunhuang »

Finally got a chance to really try out my AC system with the EnviroSafe refrigerant. Recall that I wanted to give this a shot before converting everything to R134a. So today it was 85 degrees outside and I ran my AC in a lot of traffic. When I was idling about, it was around 60-64 degrees. When I got on the freeway for a while, it got down to 56 degrees. Still not as cold as I would like, but ok for now. Since fall and winter is coming here in California, it won't be nearly as hot. I may just go with this for a season and think about my AC again next summer.
Thermometer showing 56 degrees!
Thermometer showing 56 degrees!
Screen Shot 2016-08-31 at 10.14.05 PM.png (797.19 KiB) Viewed 6691 times
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
francoid

Post by francoid »

That's decent. Thank you for sharing your experiment, I may just copy you!
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

hornhospital wrote:
songzunhuang wrote:Oh, and now my turn signal auto-return is not working. Arg...
You didn't remove the wheel without turning the key to position 2, did you? I did that, once. That was enough. Snap, and the canceling nub was gone. #-o
I just read this. It must be what happened to me. The odd part is that I have removed the wheel countless times and I never had the key in the #2 position. I guess I was just lucky all those other times.

Anyway, my turn signals are now manual cancelling. BMW wants over $200 for the turn signal switch. I just can't get myself to do it.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

$15 for a broken Flashlight!

Post by songzunhuang »

Yes, this is the madness that possesses those who wish to restore an old car's originality. Although I will never need this light, it bugged me when I opened up the glove compartment and saw that empty socket. So I hopped on eBay and paid $15 for a broken flashlight in the correct white color with a BMW logo.
Got the correct light to fill the empty socket.
Got the correct light to fill the empty socket.
Flashlight.png (1.01 MiB) Viewed 6477 times
I am sure I could eventually fix the light and perhaps I will, but for now it gladdens my heart that the socket is no longer empty. OK, I need a picture with the light in the socket... maybe tomorrow.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Easy Antenna fix

Post by songzunhuang »

After manually raising and lowering my antenna for over 2 weeks, I had had enough and ordered a new gear set from http://www.antennamastsrus.com. At first I thought the nylon gears in the antenna shaft had broken, so I got one of those too. It was a "slap on the head" moment when I opened up the unit and saw that the antenna shaft was not the problem.
Opening this up was simple. One T25 screw did the trick.
Opening this up was simple. One T25 screw did the trick.
GearUnit.png (719.75 KiB) Viewed 6434 times
Here's what had busted. Tiny piece, big difference.
Here's what had busted. Tiny piece, big difference.
GearSet.png (736.09 KiB) Viewed 6434 times
This fixed the antenna and all is well now and I have a spare shaft in case that ever goes again.
Sometimes things are easy to fix, but just getting mentally prepared to do it takes weeks. This was one of those.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
zinnocoupe

Post by zinnocoupe »

Song, You would have no problem at all taking that flashlight apart and getting it working. It would be nothing for you after all your solder work with that instrument cluster.
1979 Euro 635ci no longer a basketcase, just a running rust bucket!
1977 530i Partially restored and running now!
1987 635csi 60K KM Garage Queen
captain awesome

Re: Driving this car is a freaking light show!

songzunhuang wrote:Unfortunately it's warning lights.

Tonight, the coolant light flashes followed by the yellow triangle on the dash.

I drove the 25 or so miles home before checking it out.

Well, my water pump pulley has worn a hole through the lower radiator hose where it comes out of the thermostat housing. WTF?

I ordered a new OEM hose, a silly metal bracket that keeps the hose off the pulley. My car did NOT have this in place. Who designs a car with that kind of clearance? Just the expanding hose was enough to make contact with the pulley! Crap.

I have to tell myself - patience is a virtue.... breathe....

At least I made it home ok even after driving 15 miles AFTER the light came on. I thought it was a slow leak and it was a very cool night so I wasn't worried so much. I didn't expect a freaking rubbed through hole!
Hey Song, I have my belt kissing the lower rad hose, and I'm afraid the bracket you speak of is missing as well. Any pics or part number for this? I've been looking at diagrams and can't seem to place it, but I'm really not sure what it looks like anyway. Any help would be great.
84 633csi 5 spd

dwcains

Post by dwcains »

I don't have the p/n handy, but I did recently install that hose bracket on my car. It doesn't give as much clearance as I'd like, but I guess clearance is clearance. The issue on my car is the lower radiator hose and the a/c compressor pulley and belt.

Sorry, that's about as good a pic as I could get with my iPhone.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

captain awesome

Hmmm. My issue is unrelated to yours then. The alignment on my alternator is off, so maybe that's attributing to it. Thanks for the quick pic, it does help point out what part I was looking for.
84 633csi 5 spd

dwcains

Post by dwcains »

You might need a set of bushings for the alternator mounts. Just did those, too. These are the ones to get:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-BMW-Altern ... 171147992?
Dean
Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

captain awesome

Maybe. The alternator is a reman from NAPA that's only been installed a year or so? I'll start new thread with pics to help trouble shoot.
84 633csi 5 spd

dwcains

Post by dwcains »

That's where I got mine, and the bushings lasted maybe 1K miles before they turned into the nastiest, stickiest goo you ever saw. It was like roofing tar, and it was a bitch to get them out of the alternator. Otherwise, the rebuilt alternator has worked well and looks like they used good parts.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z