1984 633CSi Rises again!

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 1984 633CSi Rises again!

Post by songzunhuang »

zinnocoupe wrote:Song, You would have no problem at all taking that flashlight apart and getting it working. It would be nothing for you after all your solder work with that instrument cluster.
True, true - but I just don't really have a need for that flashlight. I just use the light on my iPhone on the rare occasions I need it. One day, if I get bored with other stuff.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

songzunhuang wrote:
zinnocoupe wrote:Song, You would have no problem at all taking that flashlight apart and getting it working. It would be nothing for you after all your solder work with that instrument cluster.
True, true - but I just don't really have a need for that flashlight. I just use the light on my iPhone on the rare occasions I need it. One day, if I get bored with other stuff.
Of course you have a need for that flashlight Song ! How else do you join the E24 OCD club Sir ?? :D
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

New Hood Badge again!

Post by songzunhuang »

So I learned that you should never get reproduction stuff on eBay for some parts of your car. I replaced the very weathered hood emblem on my car less than a year ago. I thought I got a good deal on an OEM unit off of some guy on eBay. It was around $35 if I recall correctly. Not super cheap,but good enough.

Fast forward about a year and I notice my hood emblem looked kinda horrible. I finally got tired of it and ordered a new unit from FCP Euro. It was $37 and I used a $10 off coupon. They have a lifetime warranty so I figured I can't go wrong. So while replacing the badge, I couldn't believe what a difference a year makes.
Knockoff badge after less than a year! Buy only OEM badges.
Knockoff badge after less than a year! Buy only OEM badges.
BMW Badge.JPG (1.18 MiB) Viewed 9215 times
The front of my car is happy again.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Driving this car is a freaking light show!

Post by songzunhuang »

captain awesome wrote:
songzunhuang wrote:Unfortunately it's warning lights.

Tonight, the coolant light flashes followed by the yellow triangle on the dash.

I drove the 25 or so miles home before checking it out.

Well, my water pump pulley has worn a hole through the lower radiator hose where it comes out of the thermostat housing. WTF?

I ordered a new OEM hose, a silly metal bracket that keeps the hose off the pulley. My car did NOT have this in place. Who designs a car with that kind of clearance? Just the expanding hose was enough to make contact with the pulley! Crap.

I have to tell myself - patience is a virtue.... breathe....

At least I made it home ok even after driving 15 miles AFTER the light came on. I thought it was a slow leak and it was a very cool night so I wasn't worried so much. I didn't expect a freaking rubbed through hole!
Hey Song, I have my belt kissing the lower rad hose, and I'm afraid the bracket you speak of is missing as well. Any pics or part number for this? I've been looking at diagrams and can't seem to place it, but I'm really not sure what it looks like anyway. Any help would be great.
I think there's a picture posted way back earlier in this thread. It was less than $3 from the dealer. Also, I see that a picture has been posted already. They beat me to it.

It's called a "Hose Clamp" Part # 11531268751

Here's a Google search with pics of the part.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Driving this car is a freaking light show!

Post by songzunhuang »

captain awesome wrote:
songzunhuang wrote:Unfortunately it's warning lights.

Tonight, the coolant light flashes followed by the yellow triangle on the dash.

I drove the 25 or so miles home before checking it out.

Well, my water pump pulley has worn a hole through the lower radiator hose where it comes out of the thermostat housing. WTF?

I ordered a new OEM hose, a silly metal bracket that keeps the hose off the pulley. My car did NOT have this in place. Who designs a car with that kind of clearance? Just the expanding hose was enough to make contact with the pulley! Crap.

I have to tell myself - patience is a virtue.... breathe....

At least I made it home ok even after driving 15 miles AFTER the light came on. I thought it was a slow leak and it was a very cool night so I wasn't worried so much. I didn't expect a freaking rubbed through hole!
Hey Song, I have my belt kissing the lower rad hose, and I'm afraid the bracket you speak of is missing as well. Any pics or part number for this? I've been looking at diagrams and can't seem to place it, but I'm really not sure what it looks like anyway. Any help would be great.
I think there's a picture posted way back earlier in this thread. It was less than $3 from the dealer. Also, I see that a picture has been posted already. They beat me to it.

It's called a "Hose Clamp" Part # 11531268751

Here's a Google search with pics of the part. https://www.google.com/search?q=1153126 ... 87&bih=954
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
zinnocoupe

Post by zinnocoupe »

baders wrote:
songzunhuang wrote:
Of course you have a need for that flashlight Song ! How else do you join the E24 OCD club Sir ?? :D
HaHa This
1979 Euro 635ci no longer a basketcase, just a running rust bucket!
1977 530i Partially restored and running now!
1987 635csi 60K KM Garage Queen
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

zinnocoupe wrote:
baders wrote:
songzunhuang wrote: True, true - but I just don't really have a need for that flashlight. I just use the light on my iPhone on the rare occasions I need it. One day, if I get bored with other stuff.
HaHa This
You know he's right. In the back of my head I know I have a broken flashlight in my glove compartment. I'll have to fix it eventually. LOL!

Let's see how long I can go without addressing it.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Don't resist ! That way lies insanity (or at least more insanity than you currently enjoy).
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Here. This will sooth your nerves. Look at that LED brilliance ! You know you just WANT to CRACK that little white body open and take a look inside :twisted:
torch.jpg
torch.jpg (742.11 KiB) Viewed 9171 times
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

baders wrote:Don't resist ! That way lies insanity (or at least more insanity than you currently enjoy).
Haha, you are cracking me up. In time. In time...
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Random things that are better now in my car

Post by songzunhuang »

Overall my car is doing really well. I've put about 12,000 miles on it in just over 1 year of ownership. Yes, it is my daily driver. These days, it's little cosmetic things that I am doing.

Finally, I got a cigarette lighter. What you say!? Well, I had a lighter with some customization by a rodent. I didn't know that it wasn't supposed to have "texture" until I looked at another car. As you can see, the old one is at the bottom in the picture below.
Look, there's not supposed to be chunks taken out of the handle.
Look, there's not supposed to be chunks taken out of the handle.
Lighters.png (1.65 MiB) Viewed 8976 times
Second is the little rubber cap on the coat hook. I don't know why the heck the chrome part of my hook is so rusty! The rubber cap does a lot to "clean" it up.
Cover the nasty rusty thing with rubber.
Cover the nasty rusty thing with rubber.
CoatHookCover.png (1.5 MiB) Viewed 8976 times
Oh and I can't forget the complete glove box with the white flashlight. Yeah, the light doesn't work but at least there's not a big empty gap.
The light looks right at home in it's proper spot.
The light looks right at home in it's proper spot.
Flashlight.png (1.26 MiB) Viewed 8976 times
So that's all I've done in the recent past. Small things, but I am glad for that. It means other stuff is just fine.
Last edited by songzunhuang on Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Air Conditioning - and so it begins

Post by songzunhuang »

Well today I took a big step in getting my A/C completely overhauled. The compressor arrived. Thanks to JayS for giving me a great deal. I didn't expect to get a polished compressor, but what the heck. If I don't fix my oil leak that get grime all over the front of my engine, my polished compressor will just be black.
A much better compressor that I was expecting to get at first.
A much better compressor that I was expecting to get at first.
Compressor.png (1.53 MiB) Viewed 8974 times
Now I will spend the winter gathering information and parts until summertime! I'm planning on replacing freaking everything, including a parallel flow condenser. That's the rough plan.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Song,
Keep a running list of your a/c part numbers, sources and prices as I will follow in your footsteps. Right now I have compressor oil all over everything.
Ken
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

His flashlight doesn't work !! Burn him, burn him !! :twisted:
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

baders wrote:His flashlight doesn't work !! Burn him, burn him !! :twisted:
Good for a laugh Paul. I'm on my way to whip Song with a wet noodle.

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

sansouci wrote:Song,
Keep a running list of your a/c part numbers, sources and prices as I will follow in your footsteps. Right now I have compressor oil all over everything.
Ken
Will do. I have a lot of conflicting information. My compressor mount is not the same as many people describe. I have gotten an adapter kit for the new compressor, but it doesn't address the top mount. I also got the adjustable bottom mount, but it doesn't stop there! I got two of the adjustable bottom mounts. One is for another Beemer and has more range of adjustability than the other. I'll get pictures of all this posted.

I've been picking up a lot of things due to things I read on various forums. I'll see if I can spot a part number on the components. Right now, it's been a bit unorganized hunting. I will post progress and pictures as I go.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

baders wrote:His flashlight doesn't work !! Burn him, burn him !! :twisted:
In time, in time. It does bother me a teeny bit.
I'll wake in the middle of the night, startled and shaking. My wife will ask me what's wrong and I'll answer. "My flashlight doesn't work. They are coming to get me!"

Men in white coats will arrive shortly after my wife's phone call...
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
2011z4

Post by 2011z4 »

Who rebuilt your compressor? Mine is in need of it. Thanks!
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

The compressors are readily available on eBay, Amazon, etc, for <$125. Look for a Sanden 508, but beware that it doesn't fit the original bracket or the hoses.

Here's a link to a compressor:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SANDEN-CLON ... 467358646?

You want to be sure to source one with a double V-belt pulley, rather than the serpentine variation.

If you want to read a thread with more details about the bracket, parallel-flow condensor, new hoses, etc:

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showt ... S-OF-2016)
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Adjustable brackets - 2 fer

Post by songzunhuang »

As I mentioned in a previous post, I've got a choice of lower brackets now. Originally I got the adjustable bracket that normally comes with an e24, but then I saw on another post a recommendation for a bracket that had more adjustability than ours. I like more adjustability, so I go that too. I believe it was for a E30 or something like that. I wanted to post a picture so that you could see the difference. It is the same width so it's supposed to be a direct fit.
e24 bracket on left, e30? on right.
e24 bracket on left, e30? on right.
AC Brackets.jpg (163.95 KiB) Viewed 8813 times
It looks like I'll have lots of adjustability now. Naturally I am using the one on the right. Now, I just have to figure out the top mount.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

Do you have one of these?

And, a pair of these?

So you can make this?

Dean
Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

dwcains wrote:Do you have one of these?

Nope, that is the piece I am looking for still. I think Ralph in SoCal may have one for me. I'm still gathering pieces as the actual update won't happen until summer. So, I've got some time. Thanks for a visual though.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

If you need the large aluminum cast piece, I've got an extra you're welcome to. I don't have the bottom adjustable bracket or hardware..
Dean
Lutz, FL

'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

dwcains wrote:If you need the large aluminum cast piece, I've got an extra you're welcome to. I don't have the bottom adjustable bracket or hardware..
Awesome! I do need that cast piece. I have two versions of the adjustable bracket at the bottom. I'll PM you with details and also so you can let me know what the shipping would be. I'll PayPal it to you.

-Song
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Shiny tail lights again

Post by songzunhuang »

Last time I removed rear lens cover to replace a bulb, I was shocked that the housing for the bulbs were all black. I don't think they are supposed to be black. I finally got around to putting some reflective qualities back into the tail lights. I used a Krylon Chrome paint to do this during a sunny break in the crazy California rain storms.

Here's what my tail light housings looks like. The driver side had hints of reflective chrome, the passenger side was black.
Driver side has traces of chrome. Passenger side was black.
Driver side has traces of chrome. Passenger side was black.
Taillights1.png (1.41 MiB) Viewed 8102 times
After some careful masking, I cleaned the assemblies with Electronics cleaner (it leaves no residue) and wiped them off to get dust out. Since I was painting plastic, I didn't use primer.
Careful masking for best effect.
Careful masking for best effect.
Taillights2.png (1.34 MiB) Viewed 8102 times
Here's a closeup before and after of the passenger side tail light assembly. The chrome paint should make a big difference!
Where did all the original chrome stuff go? Mystery.
Where did all the original chrome stuff go? Mystery.
Taillights3.png (1.28 MiB) Viewed 8102 times
After it's all done, I am hoping it'll make a difference. This picture is a bit deceiving as the sun had moved and was shining directly into the assembly. It's not quite as dramatic as it seems, but it should still be a lot better.
All done and a whole lot brighter.
All done and a whole lot brighter.
Tailights4.png (1.62 MiB) Viewed 8102 times
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi