Spasso's '84 Euro 635, #8183039

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Spasso

Re: Spasso's '84 Euro 635, #8183039

Post by Spasso »

He may be my brother but I still had to pay. He has a shop to run.
He did give me a generous break though and went beyond the normal activities of a build.
Spasso

Oil Catch Can Instl

Post by Spasso »

So, ever since I got this car back on the road I have had an issue with how the crank case breathes from the cam cover into the intake boot upstream of the throttle body.
On one occasion when I had the boot and Air Flow Meter off I noticed a film of oil on the butterfly in the T/B.
My brother also mentioned that the intake manifold was full of GUNK because of this.
This made me wonder just how good this could be for back of the intake valves, which have since been replaced.

I decided that instead of pumping raw crank case fumes, acid, dirt, water and oil straight into the throttle body I invested in a baffled oil catch can.
I spent quite a while investigating and feel this is the best in design, function and build quality.

All machined aluminum with 'O' rings. The -10 AN ORB fittings were extra.
It holds 8 ounces and can be checked with a dipstick included.
When full, the bottom unscrews.
The upper baffle assy can be reversed to change the intake/outlet sides and can be disassembled for cleaning.

It's an airtight system and works off of vacuum from the engine.

Loosen two mounting bolts and the entire thing swings out of the way for battery removal.

I think I'll be getting one of these for the turbo car as well.

- ECS Tuning Baffled Oil Catch Can - 8oz
Mfg Part #
003779ECS05A02
ECS Part #
ES#2816990
-ECS Tuning Mounting Bracket Kit - Universal Fit
Mfg Part #
003779ECS06KT
ECS Part #
ES#2918376
-10 AN ORB X 3/4" Hose Barb Fitting Assy. - Black
ES#: ES2986666
Mfg#: 003779ECS10A
Attachments
Oil Catch Can Diagram (Medium).jpg
Oil Catch Can Diagram (Medium).jpg (53.6 KiB) Viewed 12642 times
Baffle Assy (Medium).jpg
Baffle Assy (Medium).jpg (49.48 KiB) Viewed 12642 times
Flow Diagram (Medium).jpg
Flow Diagram (Medium).jpg (121.13 KiB) Viewed 12642 times
Last edited by Spasso on Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Spasso

Oil Catch Can Instl

Post by Spasso »

Installation.
NOTE: It's not as close as looks to the top of the battery in the second picture. There is a couple of inches there.
Attachments
TOP VIEW (Medium).JPG
TOP VIEW (Medium).JPG (233.7 KiB) Viewed 12642 times
SIDE VIEW (Medium).JPG
SIDE VIEW (Medium).JPG (203.38 KiB) Viewed 12642 times
INLET-OUTLET (Medium).JPG
INLET-OUTLET (Medium).JPG (181.76 KiB) Viewed 12642 times
zinnocoupe

Post by zinnocoupe »

Spasso wrote:He may be my brother but I still had to pay. He has a shop to run.
He did give me a generous break though and went beyond the normal activities of a build.
I wasn't even thinking about the money aspect, Rather the knowledge base you have at your finger tips. I'd take the information over the dollars in a second. :D The forums are the only information and help I really get. They are great but theres also a lot to filter through as well.

I noticed the TB and intake full of gunk in my 79 as well. This oil catch looks like a great idea! will be interesting to see how much it catches.
1979 Euro 635ci no longer a basketcase, just a running rust bucket!
1977 530i Partially restored and running now!
1987 635csi 60K KM Garage Queen
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Other than parts availability, does it really need to be that big? I would add my $.02 that sizing could be related to how much it collects by the time you do a 3,000 mile oil change. Also, if the tubing was smaller, the greater air velocity would help move the "stuff" to the collector can.
Do we have any aerospace engineers out there? Seems like basic fluid mechanics.

Am interested to know how much you actually collect if you use your oil change interval as a benchmark.

Great project nevertheless. And very neat too!
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

sansouci wrote:Other than parts availability, does it really need to be that big? I would add my $.02 that sizing could be related to how much it collects by the time you do a 3,000 mile oil change. Also, if the tubing was smaller, the greater air velocity would help move the "stuff" to the collector can.
Do we have any aerospace engineers out there? Seems like basic fluid mechanics.

Am interested to know how much you actually collect if you use your oil change interval as a benchmark.

Great project nevertheless. And very neat too!
It's only an 8 ounce can (1 cup). It's pretty small, fits in the palm of my hand. (It looks larger in the picture)
They make them in 6 ounce size as well if you need it smaller for clearance issues.

The baffle assy up top dictates how much crap it will pull out of the vapor so I would think it would collect the same amount regardless of the size of the bottle underneath.
The 8 oz size of the bottle will allow me to run it longer before cleaning it out.
The dipstick will allow me to check the level without having to open it up.
According to the .pdf, the bottle will collect 2 ounces before it touches the end of the dipstick which will leave 6 ounces room from there.
I made a note of the mileage when I installed and will keep tabs.
(I'll take pictures when I clean out)

As far as the size of the hose goes, it is the same size as the original OEM hose.
I agree that velocity would move the stuff faster through a smaller tube but they may clog up faster as well.
The system is a closed system and works on vacuum so even with the larger hose there will be positive draw. Under hard acceleration there won't be any restriction.
( I use the same size hose on the turbo car and it works very well although I am disappointed in the catch can I'm using [Mishimoto]. There is no way to open it up and clean it out, and it is not baffled.)
I think the saving grace is that the hose runs over the top of the engine and radiator hose and will keep the vapor hot so it won't coalesce to the sides of the hose as easily.
Also, from the intake manifold brace to the catch can it is slightly down hill. This may aid in drain back through both hoses.
Last edited by Spasso on Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

zinnocoupe wrote:
Spasso wrote:He may be my brother but I still had to pay. He has a shop to run.
I wasn't even thinking about the money aspect, Rather the knowledge base you have at your finger tips. I'd take the information over the dollars in a second. :D The forums are the only information and help I really get. They are great but theres also a lot to filter through as well.

I noticed the TB and intake full of gunk in my 79 as well. This oil catch looks like a great idea! will be interesting to see how much it catches.
His professional knowledge is huge when it comes to making the right decisions on a build.
He errs on the side of caution and prefers to blue-print everything before it goes back together.
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

Just one observation, most of the vehicles I have owned would draft the crankcase fumes directly into the intake manifold, downstream of the carburetor/throttle body, so I was really surprised to see this set up on the M30.
zinnocoupe

Post by zinnocoupe »

Spasso wrote:Just one observation, most of the vehicles I have owned would draft the crankcase fumes directly into the intake manifold, downstream of the carburetor/throttle body, so I was really surprised to see this set up on the M30.
I wondered about this when I first got into these cars, it does seem like an odd spot to be dumping those fumes.
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

Just did an oil change today.
Came out semi-translucent.
1500 miles in cooler winter driving. (freeway)

According to the dipstick I had 6 ounces in the cup.
Nearly all water with a film of yellow oil scum on top.

- Somebody told me long ago that for every gallon of gas you burn, the engine ingests a gallon of water.
Next oil change will be at 3500 miles.
I will check the can long before that.
Attachments
In Cup (Medium).JPG
In Cup (Medium).JPG (139.12 KiB) Viewed 12397 times
In Glass Pan (Medium).JPG
In Glass Pan (Medium).JPG (148.25 KiB) Viewed 12397 times
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

Doesn't the catch can have a drain back to the sump.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jps635 »

I installed one of these.

http://www.burgertuning.com/BMW_335_oil_catch_can.html

I have mine on the opposite side, roughly where the windscreen washer bottle would normally sit. Have to drain between oil changes, and get the same coloured crap - almost like the coffee crema, so thinking of enlarging the cup.
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

I'm with Gaz, should not these catch cans pickup from the head and place captured oil down at sump level? These appear to be filters rather than catch cans. I'm amazed at all the water and suds you get in your catch/filter cans.
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jps635 »

Like Spasso said is nearly all water, which would ordinarily go back through the combustion cycle and out the exhaust. Why would you want to deposit this crud back into the crankcase - doesn't make sense to me.
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
zinnocoupe

Post by zinnocoupe »

Wow I am really surprised that its not more oily stuff. I had assumed ( wrong) that the can was to catch oily blowby type fumes that was oily black crap. Like all the crap that was inside my throttle body before I cleaned it. Definitely looks like something you don't want going back through the intake and engine. I'll be looking into one of those. On the list!!! Thx for showing us this Dana

By the way, I looked at ECS website.
This item -10 AN O-Ring Male To -10 AN Male Fitting - Black
ES#: 3102950
Mfg#: ORBBK10AN

Doesn't come up if you search their website. Is that the two nipples coming out of the unit?
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

Shipper 01 wrote:I'm with Gaz, should not these catch cans pickup from the head and place captured oil down at sump level? These appear to be filters rather than catch cans. I'm amazed at all the water and suds you get in your catch/filter cans.
Yes, it is a filter/catch can combination.
It picks up from the head, filters the crap out and delivers cleaner fumes back to the intake.
I prefer that the crankcase fumes (that contain water, acid and contaminates) stay in the catch can.
The last thing I want to do is further contaminate my oil by draining back to the oil pan.

I had a Mishimoto on the turbo car with a drain which allowed the water out but the oil scum stayed in the can mostly.
I like the option of being able to clean out the cup and inspect the residue so I can see whats going on inside the crankcase.
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

zinnocoupe wrote:Wow I am really surprised that its not more oily stuff. I had assumed ( wrong) that the can was to catch oily blowby type fumes that was oily black crap. Like all the crap that was inside my throttle body before I cleaned it. Definitely looks like something you don't want going back through the intake and engine. I'll be looking into one of those. On the list!!! Thx for showing us this Dana

By the way, I looked at ECS website.
This item -10 AN O-Ring Male To -10 AN Male Fitting - Black
ES#: 3102950
Mfg#: ORBBK10AN

Doesn't come up if you search their website. Is that the two nipples coming out of the unit?
My engine only has 3500 miles on it so I shouldn't be seeing any black stuff yet.
There are acids and sulfur residues that you can't see that also form in oil over time which you also don't want going back into your engine.

Here are the correct numbers for the -10 hose barbs that screw into the catch can:

-10 AN ORB X 3/4" Hose Barb Fitting Assy. - Black
ES#: ES2986666
Mfg#: 003779ECS10A
zinnocoupe

Post by zinnocoupe »

Oh right sorry I forgot your engine was still newly rebuilt. I guess my car would be a little different. Oily crap. thx for the other numbers
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

jps635 wrote:I installed one of these.

http://www.burgertuning.com/BMW_335_oil_catch_can.html

I have mine on the opposite side, roughly where the windscreen washer bottle would normally sit. Have to drain between oil changes, and get the same coloured crap - almost like the coffee crema, so thinking of enlarging the cup.
I almost bought one of those. It looks like it does a nice job as well.
I was pretty happy to see how well the water and oil was separated when I opened mine up.
I have another on the bench ready to install on the turbo car.