My Dads 635 Csi Overhaul

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

TifosiKev

My Dads 635 Csi Overhaul

Post by TifosiKev »

As the title suggests this is not technically my project but my Dads. My Dad is not computer savvy and he will readily admit that he doesn't like working on cars so its up to me to post this project.
Dad always wanted a BMW due to his boss having a succession of 7 Series and was always impressed with the build quality and performance. The car in question is actually the 2nd 6 he has owned. The first was an 83 Y which I acquired from a trade contact for £250 as you can imagine it wasn't the best example but it would have made a good basis for a project. Unfortunately with a lack of time and it being pre classic car boom. It was decided to abandon this one and seek out a better example. This is where BUN666Y comes in. We purchased the car as a private sale in 2007. On test drive the car performed ok and the box changed up and down as expected but there was a strange whining noise. But we done the deal and set off on the 200 mile journey home. Unfortunately about 30 miles in we lost all drive so the AA was called and the car arrived back in Devon on the back of a lorry.
Another gearbox was acquired and fitted and the car has behaved itself ever since. After 9 years of general use It was decided that the car was beginning to look a little tired so a re spray and a good going over is required. The plan being to get the car ready for the centenary show up at Gaydon this summer.
Last edited by TifosiKev on Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: My Dads 635 Csi Overhaul

Post by sharkfan »

Welcome to the forum; it's the best forum for E24's out there on t'internet.

I'm a Devon lad myself but have long since moved away, that said my M635 occasionally makes it down to the wilds of North Devon to drop in and see some family.

Try and get some pics up if you can and don't be afraid of asking for help; the 'search' function works very well on keywords but if you're evr stuck just ask.
2001 Alpina B10 V8 Touring (1 of 12 rhd)
1997 Alpina B12 5.7 L (1 of 2 rhd)
1995 Alpina B10 4.6 Touring (1 of 1 rhd)
1985 BMW M635CSi (1 of 524 rhd)
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)
TifosiKev

Post by TifosiKev »

Thanks for the welcome Sharkfan. I have just put the first photo of this on going project up. This was taken just after we acquired the car. I have been taking photo's of the strip down but the camera was set up for super high quality high definition so all the files are about 3.3 MB and are being a pain to download.
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Kev. Use Paint (Windows) to resize photos to something more manageable.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

Always look forward to a project thread....... \:D/
Car looks really sound and presentable as is so with some targeted TLC will end up a very ,very nice car .
We're all here to help so don't be shy with questions .
Look forward to watching this progress.
Don
1981 635 series 1
TifosiKev

Post by TifosiKev »

Thanks for the replies. It still amazes me how far afield this internet thing can reach. Thanks for your suggestion baders, we have now managed to resize the photos I originally took. This site has already proved useful when it came to figuring out how to remove the door cards. I am sure I will have some questions as I proceed with the strip down. Anyway here are the photos I have already took.
One of the main reasons for this project is to try and get the car all in one shade.
The bit I am looking forward to. I am no fan of bodywork but I do like the oily bits.
The first of many bits that will try my patience. The front screw head had rounded off. I don't know what BMW make their screws of but its very hard my drill hardly made a dent in it. Luckily by being a bit of an animal I did manage to remove it without causing too much damage.
Last edited by TifosiKev on Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TifosiKev

Post by TifosiKev »

Just a quick update with a few more pictures of the car getting stripped down.
Pulling up the carpets revealed an interesting feature. One I am more used to with Classic Minis, soaking wet underlay which means everything will have to be removed and dried out.
Here's one to give the concours boys nightmares. look how much grot can hide under the rear spoiler.
The drivers side all stripped down. The trim that follows the roof line was a major pain to get off as most the screws that hold it on were seized solid and the chrome inlay pieces seem particularly stubborn to get out.
An interesting find. The black box on the left is an original car phone unit. At some point the handset was removed and various wires just cut off. So all of this will be removed.
The interior all stripped. Next up will be removing the front bumper and wings and then it will be off to the bodyshop.
TifosiKev

Post by TifosiKev »

Just a quick update as I have been a bit slack in posting stuff. The car has been at the body shop and it will soon be heading home. The owner of the body shop has been taking some pictures so I will get hold of them and post them up shortly. So basically this post is just to say watch this space.