Bringing a Belgian 635 CSi 1984 back on the road

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Viktor D.

Bringing a Belgian 635 CSi 1984 back on the road

Post by Viktor D. »

Hi all,

My name is Viktor, I live in Belgium and I'm 22 years old.
I recently picked up my first car, a 635CSi. It has been off the road since 2003, as it has been sitting in a shed for 10+ years. However, one or two years ago, the car was sold to the PO who could not bring himself to do all the work required to get the shark back on the road.
Two months ago, i bought the car from him and put it on the trailer to bring it the other side of the country (only 250km as Belgium is rather small :D )

It has 166k km, however, the odometer stopped working, as all other meters on the instrument panel.
The battery was dead, the cooling system was empty, it had ugly wheels and the interior is a bit dirty. Furthermore, there is some rust, but I hope nothing to bad. But I keep in mind 'they are always rustier than you think'.
Furthermore, it has been repainted at some point in time, as it originally was Cosmosblau Metallic. Now, I suppose it is Lapisblau.

In the last two months, progress has been very slow as my time is very limited due to university, but I managed to do the following:

- Put in a new battery and made a short test drive
- Bought some genuine 15" BBS and put 4 brand new tires on it
- Changed the engine oil and oil filter
- Flushed coolant system once and filled it up
- And finally, I learned A LOT about E24's on this forum :D

Next weekend, I'll take my car to a friend. He is more experienced with cars than I am (he owns a E30) and his dad has worked as a BMW mechanic for 15 years.
We'll put the car in the air on their car lift and I will finally be able to take a good long look underneath.

Next is a list of all problems and things I will adress:

- Tackle all rust (Front jacking points, Floor, sills, rear wheel arches and rear lights)
- Make sure engine runs smoother than ever
- Engine does not start immediately
- Ignition has a bit of play
- Driverside door lock and trunk locks do not work
- Drivers seat rails have some play
- Suspension Overhaul, All new rubbers, Bilstein sport shocks and H&R Lowering springs
- Brakes
- Electrical sunroof and all windows move slowly, I guess the motors will have to be lubricated in some way
- There is no Radio, a new radio will be installed
- Some ugly Bose boxes have been installed in the parcel shelf, they will have to go.
- Rear headrests
- A leather sports or even Recaro interior is something I would love. (Instead of my blue cloth comforts)
- Backup lights and front fog lights do not work
- Instrument cluster does not work, except for the fuel gauge
- Exhaust is rusty and needs to be changed
- There is a leak in the right back corner of the trunk, I guess a new rear light gasket will fix that.
- New hood shocks
- New hood insulation
- Search tools for my incomplete tool kit
-
- And lots of other small things I forgot...
Attachments
Picking up my Sixer
Picking up my Sixer
1 Pickup.jpg (255.5 KiB) Viewed 18049 times
New Wheels
New Wheels
3.jpg (236.19 KiB) Viewed 18049 times
Blue Cloth Comforts in a blue car, too much blue for me!
Blue Cloth Comforts in a blue car, too much blue for me!
2 Interior.jpg (236.45 KiB) Viewed 18049 times
Last edited by Viktor D. on Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1984 BMW 635CSi 5spd
Viktor D.

Re: Bringing a Belgian 635 CSi 1984 back on the road

Post by Viktor D. »

Anyone who can confirm my car is actually Lapisblau?
And also, how is the automatic radio antenna operated?
Any other tips on what i should look after first?

1984 BMW 635CSi 5spd
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Welcome to the madness!!!

Post by GRNSHRK »

And the best 6er forum in the world =D>

As far as the color is concerned, pop open the hood and look on the right hand side somewhere around the shock tower, there will be a color label there, presuming it hasn't peeled off :-k

Regarding how the power antenna is operated, if it's connected to your stereo head unit, turn it on and the antenna should rise #-o

I'm sure others can provide you with plenty of information specific to your model and year :lol:
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
Viktor D.

Post by Viktor D. »

Thanks for the welcome!

I know there should be a color code on the right hand shock tower, but not a single sticker can be found in the engine bay.
Guess they didn't bother putting them back after the respray!

And my stereo head unit is gone, so turning it on is impossible :-k

1984 BMW 635CSi 5spd
Desert635

Post by Desert635 »

Good luck with the restoration, running your vin through a decoder confirms it is a cosmos blue
1987 635CSI Japan Spec
Was: R̶o̶y̶a̶l̶b̶l̶a̶u̶ ̶M̶e̶t̶a̶l̶l̶i̶c̶ ̶(̶1̶8̶9̶)̶
Now: Tiefseeblau Metallic (A76)

VIN: 0766354
Viktor D.

Post by Viktor D. »

Yes I know, but cosmosblau is more greyish than it is blue.

The next foto is an example of a cosmosblau E24. Nothing like the color on mine
Attachments
e24_cosmos_blue.jpg
e24_cosmos_blue.jpg (36.86 KiB) Viewed 17992 times

1984 BMW 635CSi 5spd
Desert635

Post by Desert635 »

I'm assuming the engine bay has been painted as well, can you see underneath the carpets or behind the trim in the trunk?
1987 635CSI Japan Spec
Was: R̶o̶y̶a̶l̶b̶l̶a̶u̶ ̶M̶e̶t̶a̶l̶l̶i̶c̶ ̶(̶1̶8̶9̶)̶
Now: Tiefseeblau Metallic (A76)

VIN: 0766354
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

Welcome to the madness! I got my car only 6 months ago and I have been through a lot of the car. I've had a lot of the same issues as you described. My car is also a 84, but it's a 633. I'll bet a lot of the things are the same. Take a look at my journey (posted as 633csi Rises Again!) and you'll basically see all I've done. I've been trying to document just about everything. I am also happy to report that the ca is doing rather well.

When I heard that a simple battery change and you were able to start up the car, that's a very good sign. It can't be all bad if it starts so readily after all those years!
Anyhow, you'll love this forum and how helpful the members are. I'll look forward to your car shaping up.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383
Viktor D.

Post by Viktor D. »

songzunhuang wrote:Take a look at my journey (posted as 633csi Rises Again!) and you'll basically see all I've done. I've been trying to document just about everything.

Anyhow, you'll love this forum and how helpful the members are. I'll look forward to your car shaping up.
I've been reading all I could the last two months on this forum, and I've read your entire story as well!
I really loved to read it, as well as several other project threads! I already love this forum :D

I'll try to document my restauration process as well. You never know someone benefits from reading up on my struggles!
Last edited by Viktor D. on Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1984 BMW 635CSi 5spd
Viktor D.

Damn, Rustier than you think indeed :(

Post by Viktor D. »

The weekend started quite well with a cruise in beautiful winter weather,

However things looked worse half an hour later when the shark was on the lift...

Someone clearly tried to jack up the car at the wrong points, just behind the front wheels, which means they pushed kind of through the floor... #-o
Time did it's thing, which means that there is quite some rust today.
The sills aren't any better either, this was less unexpected as the front, but still worse than hoped.
Obviously, New metal will have to be let in.
Luckily, my friend is familiar with welding, but still, I hoped it wouldn't be as bad.

Instead of staying with my car at my friends place some things we planned on doing this weekend, I drove back, because neither of us had more than two days time to finish this job in one go. Neither does he have the place to store my car inside for more than 2 days as he is busy with his E30 325i Racecar project.

Back at my grandparents, where my car sits, i fixed the front fogs that were not working.
I also discovered both glass holding frames of these front fogs are broken at one side, and you can not order them from bmw anymore. Damn ](*,)

Luckily, My weekend ended positively, I saw a very sweet shark on the road, which looks incredible with the 17"s and the Recaro interior!
Also it's color resembles mine a lot, hopefully, one day mine will look like this! [-o<
It is a Series 3 ('87-'98) 635CSi Automatic with 205k km. (3rd picture)
Attachments
Lovely day.jpg
Lovely day.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 17877 times
This is not what I wanted to see...
This is not what I wanted to see...
31533535.jpg (326.89 KiB) Viewed 17877 times
Beautiful shark!
Beautiful shark!
Sweet 635.jpg (645.12 KiB) Viewed 17877 times
Last edited by Viktor D. on Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1984 BMW 635CSi 5spd
Viktor D.

Post by Viktor D. »

Okay, slow progress, but I worked on the non-working Instrument Cluster

The batteries is the SI board were totally gone and it didn't look like I was going to get the circuit boards repaired by soldering.
They had to much corrosion on them AND I never soldered before...

Solution:
I bought a completely new circuit board.
Also replaced the odometer gears

Happy to see all gauges and the odometer working!

However, there are two strange things :
- The speedo only works above 20km/h
- When I put on the lights, the fogs are automatically on as well (and yes the fog light switch is in the zero position)

Maybe I mixed up two cables on the back of the fog switch? :-k
Anybody some advice?
Attachments
Cluster out
Cluster out
1.jpg (300.3 KiB) Viewed 17782 times
New circuit board arrived
New circuit board arrived
2.jpg (298.33 KiB) Viewed 17782 times
New odometer gears
New odometer gears
3.jpg (243.57 KiB) Viewed 17782 times
WORKING instrument cluster!
WORKING instrument cluster!
5.jpg (342.1 KiB) Viewed 17782 times

1984 BMW 635CSi 5spd
miike87

Post by miike87 »

Nice to see other younger E24 owners from the neighborhood (regarding american distances ;)).
Did you tried to move the fog switch? Mine is acting a lil bit stupid too and switches the fogs on if you push him back to hard or not all the way back. Only a very limited position keeps the fogs off. Do the rear fogs work?
Is just the speedo not working under 20 km/h or did the odometer stopped too? Possible problem if both stopped: Bad solder joint on the blue connector. They tend to bread and need to be reseoldered.
Did you got a new board with the lithium cells? Did you enabled it (small jumper)?
M635 CSi 15.05.1984
Delivered: 199 Burgundrot, 159 Leather black, S2941A Kreuzspeiche, S401A SHD el., S510A headlight aiming, S664A Bavaria Electronic, S680A antenna man.
Today: 086 schwarz, BMW/BBS RC035/RC038, Bavaria C Electronic
Viktor D.

Post by Viktor D. »

Yes I got a new board with the lithium batteries and enabled it.

The rear fogs work and the odometer works as well.
I replaced the odometer gears as the odometer wasn't working before!

I'll try and play with the fog switch, maybe it's just acting stupid as your switch :wink:

And the neighborhood? Haha, I live near the belgian coast, it still is 500km away from Kaiserslautern ! :shock:
Attachments
OFF.jpg
OFF.jpg (283.72 KiB) Viewed 17762 times
Closed the circuit by placing the black jumper over the two golden pins to the side were ON is printen on the board
Closed the circuit by placing the black jumper over the two golden pins to the side were ON is printen on the board
Closed.jpg (346.08 KiB) Viewed 17762 times

1984 BMW 635CSi 5spd
miike87

Post by miike87 »

Just for americans 500km are quite close. ;)

Okay. Well a disabled board would act strange but now it's getting difficult. There could be a problem with the electronics of the speedo part. Did you checked the capacitor? May it was already blown up. Otherwise I got no idea.

May you could take out the switch and measure if it's switching correctly.
M635 CSi 15.05.1984
Delivered: 199 Burgundrot, 159 Leather black, S2941A Kreuzspeiche, S401A SHD el., S510A headlight aiming, S664A Bavaria Electronic, S680A antenna man.
Today: 086 schwarz, BMW/BBS RC035/RC038, Bavaria C Electronic
m7pietjem6

Post by m7pietjem6 »

Hi Victor,
Very nice project you have there. Where dit you get the adometer gears from?
groetjes uit Holland.
M635csi 1986 HALFLINE.
milroy

Post by milroy »

Nice looking motor Viktor, the rust is a shame but expected as it doesn't look like its been previously repaired which is better than the PO doing a poor job.

WRT the fog lights, I think I had the same issue due to the 4x wires being the wrong way round, the colours fade over time so its not always easy to re-connect...from a picture on my phone it looks like from top to bottom (grey/pink---yellow---grey---red/grey), thats just from a reminder pic I took on my phone i havn't got the circuits on the PC i'm using.

The boot leak could be the lights, however normally its the boot lid seal. Its usually worth taking it off, cleaning it up and re-fitting with silicone adhesive.

Also, as a precaution I would advise you check the engine management ECU, these have a happy knack of filling with water if the front window seal has failed around the A pillar. They are fairly robust so some WD40 will save the PCB.

Enjoy!!
Viktor D.

Post by Viktor D. »

m7pietjem6 wrote: Where dit you get the adometer gears from?
groetjes uit Holland.
I got them from Garagistic in the USA, because I saw they were cheaper than in Germany.
HOWEVER, I had to pay 30 euros for custom fees (douanekosten), and had to wait three weeks before they passed the slow working Belgian customs.
So i would recommend you to buy them from ebay.de!
Just be sure to count the teeth on all gears before you order!
milroy wrote:Nice looking motor Viktor, the rust is a shame but expected as it doesn't look like its been previously repaired which is better than the PO doing a poor job.

WRT the fog lights, I think I had the same issue due to the 4x wires being the wrong way round, the colours fade over time so its not always easy to re-connect...from a picture on my phone it looks like from top to bottom (grey/pink---yellow---grey---red/grey), thats just from a reminder pic I took on my phone i havn't got the circuits on the PC i'm using.
The boot leak could be the lights, however normally its the boot lid seal. Its usually worth taking it off, cleaning it up and re-fitting with silicone adhesive.
Also, as a precaution I would advise you check the engine management ECU, these have a happy knack of filling with water if the front window seal has failed around the A pillar. They are fairly robust so some WD40 will save the PCB.

Enjoy!!
Thanks, milroy!
I also think I mixed up these four wires, I'll check in to it.
Regarding the boot leak, I was planning on renewing the rear light seals and the boot lid seal as well. I hope this will resolve the problem!

And thanks for the ECU tip, I'll take a look at it. I guess the ECU is this motronic thing in the glove box you mean? I heard they cost 500euro in Belgium, so I hope nothing is wrong with mine! [-o<
Attachments
Glovebox.jpg
Glovebox.jpg (300.67 KiB) Viewed 17707 times
ECU.jpg
ECU.jpg (300.59 KiB) Viewed 17707 times
Last edited by Viktor D. on Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1984 BMW 635CSi 5spd
milroy

Post by milroy »

Yes thats the engine management ECU, its worth taking it apart (remove screws and unfold the metal tangs) it comes apart fairly easy and you will be able to see water marks on the inside of the metal case if its been flooded. I would then coat in WD40. Fortunately if your engine runs i'm sure its OK, the PCB is conformal coated against moisture and is such high quality it withstands the abuse.

While you have it apart its worth noticing the removable micro chip, this can be replaced to give more power/efficiency if you get the right one, like everything else its plug and play \:D/

I have had several 6's and the windows and sunroof go slow if not used, this is caused by the window seals taking a set and should resolve itself with regular use. I would recommend some WD40/silicone grease for the sunroof drive cord, this is just visible below the rails and will improve movement.

I would check the fuel pipe going to the fuel rail on the engine, it comes up through the air intake manifold and these often fail due to heat exposure, a good place to start looking for air leaks in fuel system that could cause slow starting.

Also, the OEM auto antenna was Hirschmann, these are excellent quality and worth the money, i've just bought another for £80.

Chris
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

When you say WD40, make sure it is the contact cleaner variety for cleaning circuit boards such as engine ECUs.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
Viktor D.

Post by Viktor D. »

Small update! :)
Got absolutely no time last month, and will not have any for the next two-three months to come :cry:

However, I was able to fix the front fog lights by replacing a wrong type of relay placed by the previous owner.
And more important, I picked up a nice set of two-piece style 5's. \:D/

Tire specs are:
FRONT: 17", 8J, ET 20, 205/45 ZR17
REAR: 17", 9J, ET 26, 205/45 ZR17

First of all, I know the tires are not wide enough, but the guy i bought them from loved the streched look on his Z3. I will put on wider tires in the near future!

When I test fitted the wheels, the front right wheel rubs the shock on the slightest angle of the steering wheel.
The front left wheel has some more room, but full lock is not possible either without rubbing the shock.

The other wheels i have are 15", 7J with 225/60 R15 all around. On the front right side, I could see the tire itself had rubbed the shock already.

I know some of you guys run 8J wheels (ET 20) on the front, do you guys use spacers?
I reckon if I added a spacer, the wheel would be too far out. (see pic for current position)
Is something clearly wrong? :-k
Or is there more room for the wheels with other shocks installed? I'm planning to install some bilstein sports. Would that make any difference?

Viktor
Attachments
8J Right Front Wheel without spacer.jpg
8J Right Front Wheel without spacer.jpg (415.59 KiB) Viewed 17396 times
New Wheels.jpg
New Wheels.jpg (601.15 KiB) Viewed 17396 times

1984 BMW 635CSi 5spd
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

I recently replaced my shocks with Bilstein sports. It doesn't do anything to the tire position.

I also saw slight evidence of rubbing after I put larger wheels and tires on my car. Also the wider tires still looked whimpy in the wheel wells. I ended up putting some pretty hefty spacers on the front (15mm) and the rear (20mm). The front fills the fender wells quite nicely now and I probably could have gone even more in the rear.

One caveat, I am running 16" wheels on mine with 225/55 16.

Look on this thread, scroll down to the middle viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25858&start=175
Btw - if you go back to the previous page from the link above, you can see the Bilstien sports being put in.

In incidentally, your car looks really nice. The Bilstien sports will really help as right now the vertical gap between tire and fender looks really large to me.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383
Viktor D.

Post by Viktor D. »

I already knew that I had to replace the shocks, springs, and all other (rubber) parts of the suspension, because the sixer is off the road for 13-14 years by now.

I just didn't link the two together #-o
So this summer, I will renew the entire suspension setup and hopefully the problem will have dissappeared! [-o<
songzunhuang wrote:Look on this thread, scroll down to the middle viewtopic.php?f=25&t=25858&start=175
Btw - if you go back to the previous page from the link above, you can see the Bilstien sports being put in.
In incidentally, your car looks really nice. The Bilstien sports will really help as right now the vertical gap between tire and fender looks really large to me.
Song,
Thanks for the nice words :)
I already read your thread completely, and some parts of it, I read even twice (for example the suspension part) :D I really like how your car is shaping up!
I also think my car needs to lower about 3 cm, as for now, she sits a bit too high.
Last edited by Viktor D. on Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1984 BMW 635CSi 5spd
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Viktor D. wrote: I just didn't link the two together #-o #-o
So this summer, when the entire suspension setup is replaced with new parts, there should be no problems with rubbing wheels anymore!
Viktor, replacing the suspension with new won't change the wheel offset, which is the source of the rub now. You're going to have to get either spacers or different wheels with the correct offset to fix the rub.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Viktor D.

Post by Viktor D. »

hornhospital wrote:Viktor, replacing the suspension with new won't change the wheel offset, which is the source of the rub now. You're going to have to get either spacers or different wheels with the correct offset to fix the rub.
It could be, however, I read several times on here that 8J ET20 in the front should not be a problem...

And after 14 years off the road, replacing every component of the suspension with a new part is quite recommendable I guess...

1984 BMW 635CSi 5spd
Stoffie

Post by Stoffie »

I've got ET20 on my sixer in the front, and while I have seen some slight marks of rubbing, I've never heard or felt it.
The M88/3 was all about power, no cats. At idle the raw fuel from the exhaust will make your eyes water like an old V-8 powered muscle car's exhaust did.