Porsche 944 Turbo 1986
Daimler XJC V12 1977
Jaguar XJS TWR 1988
Scimitar SE6B Prototype
Scimitar SE6B Cabriolet
francoid

Re: Dealing with the rust!!!!

Post by francoid »

That's quite a bit of rust and a work dealing with it, are you doing it yourself?
jonn

Post by jonn »

francoid wrote:That's quite a bit of rust and a work dealing with it, are you doing it yourself?

The photos represent about 30 percent of what's being dealt with , and yes doing it myself (its what I do ) all work being photographed and parts being fabricated in house as either not available or at silly BMW prices
E24 635 CSI Highline 1989 motorsport
E24 M635 1986 sold
E24 (E12) 633 978
E30 325i Cabriolet1986
Porsche 928 S Manual 1981
Porsche 944 Turbo 1986
Daimler XJC V12 1977
Jaguar XJS TWR 1988
Scimitar SE6B Prototype
Scimitar SE6B Cabriolet
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

I'm surprised that for that extent of work you didn't remove both front wings and the front bumper to give unfettered access to the whole of the underwing area.That would also have allowed you to contour and flange the wing repairs then paint them properly plus clean,refinish and protect the difficult to access nooks and crannies that abound under there .
It'd be a great pity if ,after such external work , you didn't eradicate all the rust ,and probably rot ,that is likely to be in other areas under the wings, toeboards and forward sill's.
Is the lower inner wing area finished or have you still to cut out and/or deal with the rest of the rust that's visible .
Look forward to seeing the rest of the tidy up.
Your car or a customers ?
1981 635 series 1
jonn

Post by jonn »

olympia57 wrote:I'm surprised that for that extent of work you didn't remove both front wings and the front bumper to give unfettered access to the whole of the underwing area.That would also have allowed you to contour and flange the wing repairs then paint them properly plus clean,refinish and protect the difficult to access nooks and crannies that abound under there .
It'd be a great pity if ,after such external work , you didn't eradicate all the rust ,and probably rot ,that is likely to be in other areas under the wings, toeboards and forward sill's.
Is the lower inner wing area finished or have you still to cut out and/or deal with the rest of the rust that's visible .
Look forward to seeing the rest of the tidy up.
Your car or a customers ?
After the panels where fabricated and tacked the wings/front bumper were removed and repair panels fully welded while the rust on the inner wings was dealt with ( which in this case was not to bad) I always find its better to make sure all the shut lines etc are correct before removing the bolt on panels as this saves fettling afterwards , and its one I rescued from a greenhouse so mine
E24 M635 1986 sold
E24 (E12) 633 978
E30 325i Cabriolet1986
Porsche 944 Turbo 1986
Daimler XJC V12 1977
Jaguar XJS TWR 1988
Scimitar SE6B Prototype
Scimitar SE6B Cabriolet
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

If I may, forgive me for my ignorance, are your roads MADE of salt?
Do you have heavy icing conditions a major part of the year?

I feel bad for you folks in the UK and the heavy cancer you have to deal with on your cars.

I live on a latitude comparable to northern France.
We have protracted months of rain and drizzle, 9 months or so.
It still snows here on occasion and probably have more issues with ice than anything but I make it a point to buy local (Seattle) or west coast cars because of the absence of heavy rust and cancer.

The joke is, the difference between winter and summer is the temperature of the rain.

How do the conditions play out from southern to the northern parts of the UK?
(We have our own rust belt in the mid-west and eastern seaboard)
Thanks
jonn

Post by jonn »

Spasso wrote:If I may, forgive me for my ignorance, are your roads MADE of salt?
Do you have heavy icing conditions a major part of the year?

I feel bad for you folks in the UK and the heavy cancer you have to deal with on your cars.

I live on a latitude comparable to northern France.
We have protracted months of rain and drizzle, 9 months or so.
It still snows here on occasion and probably have more issues with ice than anything but I make it a point to buy local (Seattle) or west coast cars because of the absence of heavy rust and cancer.

The joke is, the difference between winter and summer is the temperature of the rain.

How do the conditions play out from southern to the northern parts of the UK?
(We have our own rust belt in the mid-west and eastern seaboard)
Thanks

Re the conditions north /south in the UK it tends to be colder in the north but rains every where , and sadly all roads are treated with salt so the rust issues are common in both areas unless you live by the sea then the car just disappears , still on the plus side the cars become rarer quicker
E24 M635 1986 sold
E24 (E12) 633 978
E30 325i Cabriolet1986
Porsche 944 Turbo 1986
Daimler XJC V12 1977
Jaguar XJS TWR 1988
Scimitar SE6B Prototype
Scimitar SE6B Cabriolet
Spasso