1989 635csi - A Hero Car

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

yodman

1989 635csi - A Hero Car

Post by yodman »

Hey guys, I'm Cody, and I live very near Flint, MI.

I've had plenty of European cars, and still do have a few, but when I finally had a chance to see, let alone own, one of my hero cars, I had to have her.

First off, it's Alpinweiss-II. Secondly, it's a "big six" BMW. Thirdly and finally, it's an E24. Two of those things I always wanted, but I never knew I wanted the color until I saw it in person.

So, herein lies the documentation of my progress since day one: September 1st, 2016.

It's already proving to be a long one, as I've only driven the car about 200 miles. I want to cover so many more.

This is a car that has little documentation to back it up, but has shown many signs of quality work performed, which makes me happy.

Thus begins the tale of bringing her back to proper road-worthiness.

Modifications include: 17x7.5 Style 5s, and...that's it. This is great news.

Work performed (that I can find evidence of or was told of):
-Fresh paint! 8 months old, but basically no miles except those I have put on it!
-Head & head gasket refresh (resurface, new valves, cam and caps cleaned, fresh head and valve cover paint)
-PS Foglight replaced
-New trunk seal set in place
-All panels re-aligned properly after paint work
-New hood and trunk struts
-New full tool kit
-Fully refreshed, soldered, flowed, cleaned cluster. Mileage approximately matched to the car... 107k

This is how I received her:

ImageImage

Once home in the garage:

Once washed:

Now, the paint still needs a good going over. The wet sanding is all done and the paint is gorgeous with just that wash. But a good claybar, polish, and wax will have it looking like a million bucks.

Now for the needs:
-Interior re-assembled (rear is complete, front is not)
-Tint removed from all but rear window
-High-mount stop light cover
-Sunroof seal
-Foglight bulbs
-Right side signal wiring sorted (front corner light turns on with park lights - not correct, should not light, rear signal doesnt function)
-Windshield washers re-plumbed and plugged in
-Exhaust replaced (very large rupture under passenger seat, ear splittingly loud)
-O2 plugged in once above complete
-Antenna
-Trunk seal glued in place
-Driver's seat re-covered (I got spare seats with the car, they will be disassembled)
-Wheels polished and deep-cleaned
-Coolant level sensor and connector (old one disintegrated in my hand)
-Rear wing properly affixed (maybe has three studs locked down)
-TMS chip (it is a B35, so the untapped potential is there)

That's about where it stands! Enjoy it and give me tips!
1989 BMW 635csi - Betty White - AWII/Natur - M30 5M - 117k - 18" Style 37s
GazM3

Re: 1989 635csi - A Hero Car

Post by GazM3 »

Very pretty 6. They look orsome in White.

Tell more about the wet sanding process.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
yodman

Post by yodman »

GazM3 wrote:Very pretty 6. They look orsome in White.

Tell more about the wet sanding process.
Thank you much.

I meant to add that the wet-sanding was done by the previous owner. I know not of his process, but I promise the finish is very good. I'll get a close-up when I get the car back tonight.

It's in the exhaust shop! The old exhaust was broken ahead of the O2 on top of the crossover pipe, and the muffler was also blown out at the front bottom, as was the spare exhaust I picked up.

For now, I settled on having two individual pipes run straight back from the cat (which the shop will not eliminate under law, and that's fine because it'll clean up the sound anyways) with no resonators or mufflers. Anything will be better than it was, basically all exiting under the passenger seat.

I'm sure it'll sound mean and mildly loud, but much better than before.

I intend (once I have the capital) to replace the system with a Billy Boat or an all-OEM M6 setup.
JCDillon

Post by JCDillon »

That is a beautiful Great White Shark! Gotta love our '89's! =D>
Can't wait to see more pics and updates on your work. I have to agree with you, this is a car I've wanted since I was teenager and I like the "Hero Car" moniker.
JCDillon
'89 635CSI
Black on Black 5 Speed
FL BlackShark
yodman

Post by yodman »

JCDillon wrote:That is a beautiful Great White Shark! Gotta love our '89's! =D>
Can't wait to see more pics and updates on your work. I have to agree with you, this is a car I've wanted since I was teenager and I like the "Hero Car" moniker.
Thanks very much! I just read your thread yesterday. My spoiler isn't going anywhere, but your black car looks incredible without it.

Well, the new exhaust is fitted. It sounds decent. Hums a little on the freeway, has some rasp but it's not bad, and actually is smaller than stock pipe. I asked about it, and the shop says its standard procedure to fit pipe inside the existing pipe, so I have two 1.75" outlets. Little baby pea shooters. It will hold me over until I can afford a real cat-back for the car.

Here's a clip: https://youtu.be/nXjC-teWsRs

Now, this issue probably existed before the exhaust job, but I didn't notice it as I didn't run the car any bit hard until after it was 'quiet.' When I run it up to 6k RPM, then shift solidly and hit second gear, the car bogs and seems to lose all power for a second before picking up again, then it's fine in each gear thereafter. Everything in the car functions, and the top end of the engine was refreshed and cleaned.

Another possibly related issue is a hesitation and brief loss of power when the car is free revved up to 4k (for example), released, and then the power is hit again. I suspect maybe both of these issues are a slow-to-respond AFM door? Under all normal driving conditions, the car is absolutely fine. No flaws in drivability at all.

Also, what kind of adhesives would you use to attach a new trunk seal, and where is it applied on the seal? The large surface touching the metal, or only in the little slit of a channel that fits on the flange?
francoid

Post by francoid »

Hi Cody, great car. Welcome to the group and welcome to our shared disease, I meant passion.

Kindly would you do us a favor and put your location in your profile? Where your name appears on upper right side, under the pull down menu, Profile. You can also customize your signature and picture.

Cheers
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

No adhesive on the trunk seal. It fits over the raised panel seam, and that's it.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
yodman

Post by yodman »

hornhospital wrote:No adhesive on the trunk seal. It fits over the raised panel seam, and that's it.
Hmm, well mine is not happy with just that. Seems to have shrunk over time having sat for 8 months in the trunk.
yodman

Post by yodman »

Well, today I finished assembling the interior. I know now what little things I still need. The sunroof seal is in, the trunk seal is in, the shift boot and door panels are on, and the floor mats are in.

Still need a mirror switch and a plug for the passenger side door grab/pull, as well as the trims for the door handles inside.

Just need to wrestle the radio out of the dash and get the code off it so I can listen to 80s CDs all day. it's not the original to the car, but it is factory BMW.
francoid

Post by francoid »

Went through major pain with radio removal recently. Same, was BMW but not original. Most BMW radios as you know have two little screw type locks, one on each side. Some have little metallic tabs (at least 4) on top and bottom, actuated by little levers on either side. Mine was that latter type and the tabs were broken in place, I had to remove the console to get it out.
yodman

Post by yodman »

francoid wrote:Went through major pain with radio removal recently. Same, was BMW but not original. Most BMW radios as you know have two little screw type locks, one on each side. Some have little metallic tabs (at least 4) on top and bottom, actuated by little levers on either side. Mine was that latter type and the tabs were broken in place, I had to remove the console to get it out.
Well here's hoping I don't have major trouble with mine.

Also! I installed the new fan clutch and coolant level sensor and now the temp is stable at idle and all my OBC lights are out! Just need license plate lights now to keep them all off.

Also had my entire set of dash lights all go out this morning. Must've popped a fuse.

Still need a drivers knee panel.

Tonight I intend to clean the whole car inside and out, and install my AC belt so we can try that on. Car needs the fan potentiometer repaired as well.
yodman

Post by yodman »

For the love of a quality automobile, here are today's overcast iPotato pictures.

I will attempt quality photos with my DSLR if I have a chance to grab it tonight before the local car meet.

yodman

Post by yodman »

Car has been a real treat to drive!

Seems to change its mind between getting 18 and 27 MPG. It's like a switch from tank to tank. Lol. Can't quite explain that one.

So, I've had a thought. I want to dye the interior. I'm all for originality, but I hate Natur it turns out. However, I am not going to do it in Black. I would like to combine Cardinal on the seats and inlays of the door panels, shift boot and center console, and maybe the sun visors, with silver everywhere else.

I'd really have to draw it out to see if I like it. Or see how a cardinal interior car is originally done from the factory.

Also, over the winter, I will start collecting the necessary parts for a low boost turbo build to be run on the existing B35's 9.0 compression, since the head has been sorted out and it has a new MLS head gasket.

I already have a good turbo for it, a Garrett GT3076, that should handle 10 PSI and somewhere around 280-300 whp no problems. That way I leave room for improvement if I want to up the ante.

It's a B35, what could possibly go wrong? They're tough. I'm not an idiot. This should go well.
yodman

Post by yodman »

She's back out for the year! Just turned 111k last night.

Have a thread in the Wanted area for some bits I'd like to have for her, including seats, floor mats, mud flaps, dash mat, cat-back exhaust, and header.

yodman

Post by yodman »

This one's worthy of a new signature picture for now...

MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

yodman wrote:This one's worthy of a new signature picture for now...

Yep, looks really good, amazing in white.

Beats Black Betty. Image
yodman

Post by yodman »

Whenever my girlfriend and I talk about my car, we recite that line from the chorus of the song, of course.

"Whoa, white Betty, bam-a-lam"

Thank you for the kind words.

Ordered up my new weatherstrips from Ric in Australia today! Can't wait to get those.

I also cannot wait to quiet this thing down. The exhaust is absolutely obnoxious at times. She won't ride in it (or I won't make her suffer) because of the noise at highway speeds. Need to add another muffler or resonator or something. It's an exhaust shop special. They did a bang-up job, but damn are straight pipes loud! There's still a cat on it, which I thought would keep the raspiness under control, but to no avail.
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

yodman, while your exhaust shop may have done a bangup job, if they did not include a resonator in your system, that is likely your problem :(

These cars (especially the M30) drone horribly without one, ask me how I know [-X

Lookin' sharp otherwise :shock:

Love the shadowline trim over white =D>
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
yodman

Post by yodman »

GRNSHRK wrote:yodman, while your exhaust shop may have done a bangup job, if they did not include a resonator in your system, that is likely your problem :(

These cars (especially the M30) drone horribly without one, ask me how I know [-X

Lookin' sharp otherwise :shock:

Love the shadowline trim over white =D>
Totally agreed. My intention is to have another (different, more trusted) shop add a muffler/resonator at the rear. The thin walls of the piping may also contribute to bad resonance qualities. It's especially bad at 2500, 3500-4000, and 5500+.

Standard pipe diameter is 55mm per pipe, isn't it?

I do love the dark over white, however it was poorly executed with dip, not trim paint. I intend to take it all off, see how the chrome looks, and then repaint it with SEM trim paint.
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Hmm, no idea on the standard tubing diameter, but you don't want to go too big, loss of backpressure isn't a good thing either :-?

Hopefully others can chime in, somebody out there must have a stock system (I for sure don't...) [-o<
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
yodman

Post by yodman »

Correct about back pressure. I understand that. My car has two straight pipes at 1.875" OD right now, from roughly the cat back. Technically smaller from stock. They slide into the stock pipes, so my thought is that the original pipes are approximately 50mm ID.

Either way, I ordered some slick double walled 3.5" tips today that will go on once I have a shop take it in to get a muffler and resonator in there.

That rasp and those nasty harmonics need to die. More refined sound is in order. This car is too nice to not have a decently built exhaust.

I also ordered a new Bosch 13052 O2 sensor, which is factory fit. The one in my car is supposedly newer, but my car smells lean. The O2 is in the correct location, with the correct pipe crossover from factory. It also seems to lack some top end power, which I may also attribute to a lean condition. I will also be trying a spare FPR to be sure. Both fuel pumps, the tank, and all the soft lines are new. The injectors are originals, but do not leak and only have 111k. The car idles and runs smoother than my last M30 by a long shot.

I am also going to try out a few computer configurations. I have now a 179 DME with a TMS Conforti chip. I will try out the stock chip and the Dinan chip I have arriving anytime now to see how the car performs. The battery will be disconnected for at least a half hour between runs. The car only runs 93 octane now, regardless.

Finally, I ordered new top strut mounts and aluminum thrust arms with Lemforder bushings for the front. They're originals at this point, and the car has a nasty shake at various speeds that existed before and after my newly mounted and balanced tires. The shocks, struts, springs, tie rods, center link, and idler arm were all new last summer.

These things should bring the car's overall driving experience into check. It's lovely to drive, but very loud and strange smelling.

Here's a few beauty shots from a meet with some Swedish auto enthusiasts yesterday, before a nice spirited drive. I'll have a youtube link later tonight or tomorrow. (My Swedish car is undergoing a heart transplant in the next few months, and some repairs as well.

Image)
yodman

Post by yodman »

Catback was done to my liking, thankfully. Sounds great, and has an awesome idle tone!

However, I need to curb the exhaust leak up front from the decimated flex joint on the stock pipe.

Mine is taking another trip back into the exhaust shop to have new downpipes installed.

Bought a set from a decently reputable shop in Canada. Overall shape looks great, construction and weld quality leaves a bit to be desired, but pipe ID is 2" in the straight parts of the pipe, so larger than stock which is nice.

Add into that the fact that I'll actually have a high flow catalytic on it this time, and the exhaust volume should drop to the perfect level. I'm stoked.

NO MORE EXHAUST LEAKS once this is done. Thank gosh. I've been waiting to achieve this since I bought the car with effectively no exhaust on it.

Plus, my O2 will finally read properly, and my fuel economy should jump from 15-18 up to 20-23 I'm hoping, since my engine is very healthy with a rebuilt head.

Heck, my aging 280k+ mile 535is with a B34 did a solid 21-22.
yodman

Post by yodman »

Wow, so Photobucket finally killed off 3rd party sharing. Sweet.

Guess I'll just be re-storing and re-sharing all my photos.

Anyways, I need to check out my shifter. As of this morning, I cannot get 5th gear without going from 4th to neutral, moving the shifter full left (basically to reverse line), and then going right for fifth. In neutral, there's a resistance and horrid amount of movement at each end, as if the shift handle is rotation on the selector shaft. How is it held on there? I will be investigating tonight...

~Cody
Hakeem43020

Post by Hakeem43020 »

yodman wrote:Catback was done to my liking, thankfully. Sounds great, and has an awesome idle tone!

However, I need to curb the exhaust leak up front from the decimated flex joint on the stock pipe.

Mine is taking another trip back into the exhaust shop to have new downpipes installed.

Bought a set from a decently reputable shop in Canada. Overall shape looks great, construction and weld quality leaves a bit to be desired, but pipe ID is 2" in the straight parts of the pipe, so larger than stock which is nice.

Add into that the fact that I'll actually have a high flow catalytic on it this time, and the exhaust volume should drop to the perfect level. I'm stoked.

NO MORE EXHAUST LEAKS once this is done. Thank gosh. I've been waiting to achieve this since I bought the car with effectively no exhaust on it.

Plus, my O2 will finally read properly, and my fuel economy should jump from 15-18 up to 20-23 I'm hoping, since my engine is very healthy with a rebuilt head.

Heck, my aging 280k+ mile 535is with a B34 did a solid 21-22.
Do you calculate your fuel economy manually or go by the OBC? I have the same car in auto an get 13 mpg according to my OBC but I do have an exhaust leak and probably need a new O2 sensor. Also surprised how much of a difference the spoiler makes. Your car looks 20X better than mine since it has the mtech spoiler and a shadowline trims.
yodman

Post by yodman »

Hakeem43020 wrote:Do you calculate your fuel economy manually or go by the OBC? I have the same car in auto an get 13 mpg according to my OBC but I do have an exhaust leak and probably need a new O2 sensor. Also surprised how much of a difference the spoiler makes. Your car looks 20X better than mine since it has the mtech spoiler and a shadowline trims.
I keep track via Fuelly, so it's done by hand. My OBC is pessimistic whenever I have a chipped ECU installed. When I have a stock ECU, it's actually very close to accurate.

So, don't trust it. Every car is calibrated differently. However, I will comment and say that an exhaust leak and dying O2 sensor will decimate fuel economy by as much as 20%, at least in my case. I had both conditions, and ended up replacing the downpipes entirely.

Thank you for the kind words! The M-Pars made the final difference to me, and I still have considerations of removing all the black trim strips along the sides of the car and those that are painted onto the bumper end covers.

~Cody