The poor abandoned 635csi..

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

ozbmwnut

Re: The poor abandoned 635csi..

Post by ozbmwnut »

Okay. on the basis of your response about the paint, it sounds like a re-spray is in order.

i would repaint the same colour for two obvious reasons;

1, it is cheaper than a full re-color, as you don't have to do the inners and engine bay.

2, it retains the factory specification...

No. 2 is the big one for me, being anal about a car looking like the day it rolled off the factory floor.
3/1986 Complianced, Aust delivered E24. Bronzit with Pearl Beige.
Garage buddies: E9 3.0 csi Polaris Silver, blue leather ; E34 M5 Alpine White, Black extended leather ; E39 M5 Carbon Black, Caramel Heritage Leather.
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

I'd echo what's been said .

Your car has a very desirable original spec. which I'd strive to retain. Wheels ,steering wheel etc . can quickly be reinstated but colour , even done fully , works against any car imo.
If you're in it for the long haul that's where the value in these cars is, the " schlam it and bag it" boys with their huge wheels will soon move onto another unfortunate model leaving all their creations behind but an original car will always be desirable and sought after .
Have a look through these photos for a nice Bronzit Beige car for inspiration , there are some .
https://www.flickr.com/groups/sixerlovers/pool/
Enjoying your write ups , keep them coming.
Where are you in Scotland ?
Don
1981 635 series 1
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

My Bronzit, I'm color blind so I naturally love all colors.
I think Bronzit enhances the details in the shape of the 6.
DSCN0913.JPG
DSCN0913.JPG (48.51 KiB) Viewed 9446 times
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
abandonede24

Post by abandonede24 »

Brucey wrote:an overdrive gearing is one that is too high for the engine to pull it to max rpms, (and often uses the gearbox to gear up rather than gear down in top gear). The air resistance goes up as the square of the speed, so an engine with a fixed amount of torque might pull the car along at 100mph but not at 130mph or higher. The standard (European) spec overdrive gearing in E24 models (both auto and manual) allows relaxed autobahn cruising at ~100mph in top gear with about 3000rpm showing. If it could pull top gear it would do about 200mph.... :wink:

If you want top speed then you have to use one gear lower; 4th in a manual, 3rd in an auto.

In an autobox model the shift from second gear (in 'sport mode' with your foot down) to third can happen at an indicated 96mph . Reverse gear is good for over 70mph.... :shock: :shock:

Some folk like shorter gearing and for this you can use the dogleg box (with a 1:1 top gear, no overdrive ratio) and/or a different diff ratio. With this sort of setup is kind of fun losing the back end in the lower gears for sure but I prefer to have the long-legged gearing TBH.

Re the colour scheme; 'err in haste, repent at leisure' . Give it a while if you are in no hurry; you might decide you actually like the original colour scheme after all.... :wink:

I think the main thing in a project E24 is that you have a sound bodyshell and mechanicals; I've seen a lot of expensive paint jobs over dodgy body repairs and this is not the way ahead IMHO; if you are concentrating on keeping rust at bay and making it go well, this is the best thing to do; there are plenty enough shiny cars in the world that don't go very well.....

cheers
Hi Brucey,

Thanks for the informative reply! Yea, I much prefer taller gears. I have not had a long enough road to try out any maximum speed runs, but yea if the power was there the car would fly for sure!
At the moment I am more keen to run and enjoy the car instead of trying to bring it up to showroom condition. It's quite fun having the car look like a bit of a banger but it is definitely a sheep in wolves clothing! :D
More power please?
More power please?
received_1702212663139260.jpeg (161.04 KiB) Viewed 9434 times
This could be a way to achieve maximum speed in fifth! :-k

All the best!
abandonede24

Post by abandonede24 »

ozbmwnut wrote:Okay. on the basis of your response about the paint, it sounds like a re-spray is in order.

i would repaint the same colour for two obvious reasons;

1, it is cheaper than a full re-color, as you don't have to do the inners and engine bay.

2, it retains the factory specification...

No. 2 is the big one for me, being anal about a car looking like the day it rolled off the factory floor.
Hello again!

You are correct and I agree on your 1st and partially on your 2nd point. I have been very fussy with alot of my previous projects, I wanted to keep my hair down a little for this one. Fear not as I won't be fitting Halford wheels, sparco stickers, upswept tail pipes, etc, etc.. I like this car alot and they look great as is although mines is a little scabby. The only mods I will be carrying out if anything will be tidying or performance based. :D
abandonede24

Post by abandonede24 »

olympia57 wrote:I'd echo what's been said .

Your car has a very desirable original spec. which I'd strive to retain. Wheels ,steering wheel etc . can quickly be reinstated but colour , even done fully , works against any car imo.
If you're in it for the long haul that's where the value in these cars is, the " schlam it and bag it" boys with their huge wheels will soon move onto another unfortunate model leaving all their creations behind but an original car will always be desirable and sought after .
Have a look through these photos for a nice Bronzit Beige car for inspiration , there are some .
https://www.flickr.com/groups/sixerlovers/pool/
Enjoying your write ups , keep them coming.
Where are you in Scotland ?
Don
Hi olympia57,

Yea, everything interior and exterior will stay put until it comes to paint touch-ups/job... :shock: yea, Iam looking to hold on to the car for the next few years unless I have to sell to ' unforeseen circumstances 'but I hope that doesn't come.

Thanks for the link, I really enjoyed looking through them!

Thanks that's really appreciated! I am about 20 miles outside Dundee :-)
abandonede24

Post by abandonede24 »

86_6series wrote:My Bronzit, I'm color blind so I naturally love all colors.
I think Bronzit enhances the details in the shape of the 6.
DSCN0913.JPG
Hahah... sorry I should'nt laugh but that's a good one! \:D/ yea, Bronzit has definitely been growing on me!

Cheers!
Last edited by abandonede24 on Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
abandonede24

Post by abandonede24 »

I'm going to post a couple pictures of the roof for any of your interests :D
O/S old roof patch
O/S old roof patch
IMAG1500.jpg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 9433 times
IMAG1501.jpg
IMAG1501.jpg (1.76 MiB) Viewed 9433 times
IMAG1502.jpg
IMAG1502.jpg (1.72 MiB) Viewed 9433 times
Roof after rotten patch removed!
Roof after rotten patch removed!
IMAG1508.jpg (1.51 MiB) Viewed 9433 times
abandonede24

Post by abandonede24 »

Now for the nearside,
IMAG1498.jpg
IMAG1498.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 9431 times
The old repair patch was welded over the original rotted section, lazy, lazy...
The old repair patch was welded over the original rotted section, lazy, lazy...
IMAG1503.jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 9431 times
IMAG1504.jpg
IMAG1504.jpg (1.55 MiB) Viewed 9431 times
Repair section
Repair section
IMAG1507.jpg (1.41 MiB) Viewed 9431 times
A lot of care was taken to weld on the new repair panels with minimal roof distortion.. a lot harder than first thought :-? I have seen many project e24 online with holey roofs! It seems to be a common problem.. I think in my experience of repairing mine the corrosion seems to come from the original adhesive roof glue. It seems the adhesive glue has some sort of water absorption retention in it, the areas where the glue was not bonded the metal was perfect! the metal where the glue was bonded was heavily pitted and was a fairly interesting find.
Does anyone have anything to chime in on this?
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Truly nasty!
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

So this is what happens when the drains aren't kept open and clear?
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

You'll see water stains on the headliner, if not puddles on your seats.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

abandonede24

Post by abandonede24 »

Spasso wrote:So this is what happens when the drains aren't kept open and clear?
Sorry for the late reply!

Yea! The worst case is that the drain hole/run off pipe go porous and then rot/rust leading to a hole which in that case water would leak through in to the interior which is not good. The only remedy then is to remove the headliner or cut a hole in the roof to repair the corroded pipe.

My roof was cut open in certain areas so that's the way I repaired my rear drains as both were broken away from the inner roof panel.

Your safest bet is to make sure you have clean drain holes every now and then! :D
Kind regards,
David.