The poor abandoned 635csi..

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

abandonede24

The poor abandoned 635csi..

Post by abandonede24 »

Hello,

I have bought an abandoned project just a few weeks ago. This is my first bmw, and I do not know much about the 635csi's at all but they are really nice looking BMW's. This was an impulse buy.. The shape of the car, the interior with its 80's styling and the manual set up made me fall for the car. The reason for it being abandoned by the previous owner was due to the car needing welding done to the the roof of all places. After a weeks work I have almost repaired the roof aswell as finding rusty parts underneath and spending most of my time repairing the sills and inner wheel arch panels.

I will be painting this car to bring it back to life after its repairs are fully complete. This car will never be a show winning car with the budget I have but I can do just about anythin, mechanicaly myself. I have in my mind to paint it a darkish grey, almost along the lines of jaguar storm grey metallic?

Does anyone know what spec this car is?
Is this a sought after model?
What's the thoughts of grey e24's?
received_1458687084158487.jpeg
received_1458687084158487.jpeg (377.08 KiB) Viewed 14880 times
received_1458687110825151.jpeg
received_1458687110825151.jpeg (160.23 KiB) Viewed 14880 times
received_1458687094158486.jpeg
received_1458687094158486.jpeg (125.1 KiB) Viewed 14880 times
Thanks,
Dave.
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: The poor abandoned 635csi..

Post by sharkfan »

If you get on top of any bodywork and welding that could be a very nice car Dave.

The spec is fairly standard as there were very few options on a top of the range 635CSi; heated seats (very rare), electric seats, memory seats, recaro seats, rear headrests, rear sunblind, LSD, headlamp wash/wipe, cruise control and that's about it.

Your car is manual and has sports seats which are a desirable combination. Don't be dis-heartened by the drivers seats leather, if you can place the pieces together without any big holes then it could be repaired. I had a similar situation with an E34 sports seat so I swapped the torn drivers leather to the passenger seat, then had it repaired and all the seats re-coloured to as new.

The wheels are fake Alpinas, the spoilers are standard 635, not motorsport items, the roof can be repaired with no small amount of delicate skill and patience and make sure you take the front and rear screens and and the lights and trims off to find all the rot.

Be careful with everything you remove as some parts are now unavailable - if in doubt ask on here as many of us are (quite helpful) geeks and know how, what, why and the full t-shirted wherefore.

It might be worth putting down a rough location as somebody helpful might be close by and this forum has a full international complement all working to keep abandoned E24's on the road.
2001 Alpina B10 V8 Touring (1 of 12 rhd)
1997 Alpina B12 5.7 L (1 of 2 rhd)
1995 Alpina B10 4.6 Touring (1 of 1 rhd)
1985 BMW M635CSi (1 of 524 rhd)
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)
abandonede24

Post by abandonede24 »

Thanks for the reply sharkfan.

Yea that is my thoughts too, and I will be painting it to look as nice as possible but in a grey colour, I am not sure whether to stick with bmw's dolphin grey or a more modern metallic dark grey.

Okay, it does have the headlight light wash/wipe system and a lsd, at least I have a couple of optional extras :D the car is geared fairly high, I ran it up to 5000rpm in 5th gear with the car on the axle stands for interest and it hit the 160mph on the dash.

Is the sports seats the same as the recaro's? I have seen the electric recaro's that look to have the same shape as mine but obviously their full of electrical madness. The drivers side is missing a chunk of its leather unfortunately! I had thought of swapping the front seats around so the worn bolsters would be to the inside or just put a seat cover over them to protect while being used, which would be a shame to cover them but that will at least protect them better.

Yea, I realised the Alpinas where fake after seeing genuine ones on a bmw and that was confirmed when I removed mine and they had a different companys name on the back in which I can't remember, but they are fairly wide.

That's great :) That was a worry when I started to try and source parts, but thankfully everything is pretty much in place. My fan motor on the bulkhead has burnt out and I haven't been able to find another yet. Are the heater and a/c fan motors interchangeable? My ac cooling doesn't but the fan spins away fairly powerfully, I was planning on swapping over the motors for the time being so I can have some heat.

I am located in north/east Scotland.

Thanks.
miklilmag

Post by miklilmag »

Congratulation,
Blowermoter from ac a little bit more powerfull, yes, you can use it for the heater blower, not recommendet the other way around!

Good luck
Franke
abandonede24

Post by abandonede24 »

miklilmag wrote:Congratulation,
Blowermoter from ac a little bit more powerfull, yes, you can use it for the heater blower, not recommendet the other way around!

Good luck
Franke
Thanks for letting me know Franke!

Dave
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Yours are definitely sports seats Dave; the usual Recaro's found in an E24 are a different design and electric Recaro's are quite different again. You have probably seen the electric sports seats that were fitted to the E24; early types have button packs around the handbrake console, later types have the control switches on them like the later E34 placement - all the sports seats look the same whether manual, electric or electric memory.

Getting the AC fan out isn't easy so I would ask on here if anyone has a spare main fan - if you're sure the fan is duff and not just the transistor that controls the speed; they can either fail so that there is no fan movement until you set it to full speed or some movement all the time but no speed change at all.

I used the local branch of Furniture Clinic to repair and re-colour my leather interior and he was very good indeed - there was a split and a small-ish hole which was made to disappear.

As for car colour - it's your car - it won't be concourse unless you strip it and restore it to the 'nth degree so why not paint it a colour you like IMHO.
2001 Alpina B10 V8 Touring (1 of 12 rhd)
1997 Alpina B12 5.7 L (1 of 2 rhd)
1995 Alpina B10 4.6 Touring (1 of 1 rhd)
1985 BMW M635CSi (1 of 524 rhd)
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)
abandonede24

Post by abandonede24 »

sharkfan wrote:Yours are definitely sports seats Dave; the usual Recaro's found in an E24 are a different design and electric Recaro's are quite different again. You have probably seen the electric sports seats that were fitted to the E24; early types have button packs around the handbrake console, later types have the control switches on them like the later E34 placement - all the sports seats look the same whether manual, electric or electric memory.

Getting the AC fan out isn't easy so I would ask on here if anyone has a spare main fan - if you're sure the fan is duff and not just the transistor that controls the speed; they can either fail so that there is no fan movement until you set it to full speed or some movement all the time but no speed change at all.

I used the local branch of Furniture Clinic to repair and re-colour my leather interior and he was very good indeed - there was a split and a small-ish hole which was made to disappear.

As for car colour - it's your car - it won't be concourse unless you strip it and restore it to the 'nth degree so why not paint it a colour you like IMHO.

Hey,

Okay, Thanks for passing on your knowledge!

The fan is pretty toast. I managed to get it the fan to rotate just.. The bearings are still tight even after cleaning, but the final nail in the head is that the plastic runners that the motor brushes slide in had melted around the brushes... I'm guessing that with the motor being seized and power still being put through it has has caused a build up of heat which has eventually melted the runners.

Okay, I will stick with the condition of the seats for the time being. I have heard of some of the bmw seats being buffalo hide, what is the story behind that, what models had that extra?

Of course :D I would hate to paint it a colour that doesn't fully suit the car.
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

It's water buffalo, not American buffalo, if that makes any difference to you.
--Ken
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

abandonede24 wrote:Hello,

I have bought an abandoned project just a few weeks ago. This is my first bmw, and I do not know much about the 635csi's at all but they are really nice looking BMW's. This was an impulse buy.. The shape of the car, the interior with its 80's styling and the manual set up made me fall for the car. The reason for it being abandoned by the previous owner was due to the car needing welding done to the the roof of all places. After a weeks work I have almost repaired the roof aswell as finding rusty parts underneath and spending most of my time repairing the sills and inner wheel arch panels.

I will be painting this car to bring it back to life after its repairs are fully complete. This car will never be a show winning car with the budget I have but I can do just about anythin, mechanicaly myself. I have in my mind to paint it a darkish grey, almost along the lines of jaguar storm grey metallic?

Thanks,
Dave.
Hi Dave,
Unless I missed something, What year is your car? Build date?
This plays a large part in determining the proper fixes for various items.
A key to sourcing the correct parts is to order based on the last 7 digits of your VIN.
Look up the part numbers through WWW.RealOEM.com and then place your order with your favorite jobber.

People in my neck of the woods go nuts for the Euro bumpers and trim.
Yours look quite nice.
These cars wear subtle colors very well. It's a classy looking car when not tarted all up.
Grey metallic is a nice color for these.

Post more pictures as you go along.
Mark Shutt

Post by Mark Shutt »

Dolphin grey is one of my favourite BMW colours and I think it looks awesome on the E24, wouldn't look out of place like a non E24 colour too..
1988 635csi Auto Highline, Royal blue with Lotus white.
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=26461&p=189478#p189478
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

Welcome aboard!

I like that very much indeed: a manual 635 is now a very rare beast indeed. Love the chocolate fest in the interior!

Rob
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

Nice-looking car. That seat is an easy repair, as that panel is separate from the rest of the seat bottom. Welcome to the club.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

tschultz

Post by tschultz »

That car can be brought back!

I'd actually consider keeping the color-- it looks really neat in that color (which somewhat rare anyway!) and with those Alpina style wheels.
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
abandonede24

Post by abandonede24 »

sansouci wrote:It's water buffalo, not American buffalo, if that makes any difference to you.
--Ken
Haha, sorry Ken, that one goes right over my head! :-k
abandonede24

Post by abandonede24 »

Spasso wrote:
abandonede24 wrote:Hello,

Thanks,
Dave.
Hi Dave,
Unless I missed something, What year is your car? Build date?
This plays a large part in determining the proper fixes for various items.
A key to sourcing the correct parts is to order based on the last 7 digits of your VIN.
Look up the part numbers through http://WWW.RealOEM.com and then place your order with your favorite jobber.

People in my neck of the woods go nuts for the Euro bumpers and trim.
Yours look quite nice.
These cars wear subtle colors very well. It's a classy looking car when not tarted all up.
Grey metallic is a nice color for these.

Post more pictures as you go along.
Hey,

It's a 1985 model. I will have a look at the numbers when I get home this weekend, thanks for the link I will check it out.

Yea, I want to paint it a nice colour and refurbish the wheels and I would like to put lowering springs on if it but I'll see how everything else goes first :D
abandonede24

Post by abandonede24 »

wattsmonkey wrote:Welcome aboard!

I like that very much indeed: a manual 635 is now a very rare beast indeed. Love the chocolate fest in the interior!

Rob
Hey Rob,

Yea that was my thought when I seen this car and felt I had to save it.

Yea, I wasnt to keen at first but the colour has fairly grown on me.

Dave
abandonede24

Post by abandonede24 »

dwcains wrote:Nice-looking car. That seat is an easy repair, as that panel is separate from the rest of the seat bottom. Welcome to the club.
Thanks! I didn't realise that the seat could be stripped down to sections like that, thanks for letting me know!
abandonede24

Post by abandonede24 »

Hello everyone,

*Just a little update *

I managed to complete all of the repairs relatively quick in my circumstances and got E24 MOT'ed back in January in which it sailed through thankfully. Been getting to use it every odd weekend when I have been home from university. The car drives great and the the M30 pulls like a train and easily spins the wheels with a hard push.
Nice and shiny.
Nice and shiny.
received_1699395526754307.jpeg (323.08 KiB) Viewed 13803 times
One of the big annoyances of the car was the fuse 21 fault, in which the previous owner had a 30amp fuse that had blown! Scary stuff.. Anyway I could never find an obvious fault until one weekend when I went a bit crazy and pulled the dash and console apart to find anything odd. There had been an aftermarket alarm system fitted and removed so there were a few bare wires about that I snipped and wrapped in tape. But still there was no sight of something that was replicating a dead short in the wiring frustratingly, I had a thought that maybe the interior light wires were maybe damaged from the previous roof panel repair. I pulled out the interior lights but on the passenger’s side, the interior light wires seemed a bit unorganised, I pulled them carefully to check for any breaks. All but the constant live wire was moving, I gave it a tug and here falls out a broken wire that had been sandwiched and welded over by the previous repair! 5 minutes later with some tidying and re-connecting I had a working radio,obc and interior lights! Woop!!
DSC_0034.JPG
DSC_0034.JPG (1.54 MiB) Viewed 13803 times
received_1458687174158478.jpeg
received_1458687174158478.jpeg (192.24 KiB) Viewed 13803 times
After getting the beast all back to normal I went to pick by brother up from the train station 20 miles away, this would be his first cruise in the bmw. His first words were "you definitely stand out" as I picked him up in the trainstation car park. I was going to take the longer route home to enjoy the drive but, as you do in a new car you need give it a good old boot in which I did to show my brother it can move along when you want it too. From a stop I gave it the foot down to red line in first and then into second and straight away I knew the car was hurt and it was missing. So that was a bit of a depressing drive home as the excitement to show my brother by car was gone as I had hurt the engine, least I was still able to make it home. Frustratingly on the next day I had to leave to go back to university for a few weeks without knowing what damage had occurred. When I was back home a few weeks later I was able to find that the rear two cylinders were at fault with removal of the ht leads one at a time, there was also a hissing sound coming from the deep abyss of the engine. I came to the conclusion that I had either bent valves or the head gasket was blown between the cylinders(there was no smoke coming from the tailpipes). I decided to hope it was just the head gasket, so I ordered a head gasket kit and removed the head which was a hell of a back ache when your by yourself. I found my guesstimation was correct and right enough the rear two cylinders were sharing there contents... It was a fast paced job to get it done during that weekend, but with the relative simplicity of the engine everything went back together neatly and she started straight up. I later adjusted the valve clearances and have now done a few hundred miles since and she has not missed a beat.
The blown head gasket
The blown head gasket
received_1672598129434047.jpeg (347.98 KiB) Viewed 13803 times
So far the car has been fairly enjoyable to work on but it's much funner to drive! :D
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

Glad you are bringing her back to life.
I have been driving my 84 to work daily the last few weeks and have grown to really appreciate these M30's in Euro trim.
(60 mile round trip)
Nice torque and power
ozbmwnut

Post by ozbmwnut »

Looking good,... very good.

Are you still thinking about color change? If the answer is yes, i would urge you to stop and think about it first. By the look of your latest photo, i think the car looks very good, apart, of course of the mis-matched bonnet.

I suggest that to spend the money in a color change would not be a wise investment. if it were mine, i would trick up the paint you have and be happy with the color...

I Have a Bronzit car as well, and i wasn't keen at first, but i like it now.

Keep up the good work.
3/1986 Complianced, Aust delivered E24. Bronzit with Pearl Beige.
Garage buddies: E9 3.0 csi Polaris Silver, blue leather ; E34 M5 Alpine White, Black extended leather ; E39 M5 Carbon Black, Caramel Heritage Leather.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

I second the caution over the proposed colour change. I would also note that most folk would have to change the entire interior for something different if you painted the car grey; a brown interior is just all wrong in a grey car, isn't it?

BTW fifth gear is an overdrive ratio in this car; on the road the car will max out in fourth.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ronnie Wilson

Post by Ronnie Wilson »

Hi

It's totally your choice, but i would keep to the original colour. I personally looked long and hard for that colour combination. My car is the same but an automatic 1986.
Bronze beige matalic looks fantastic.
Ronnie
Liverpool uk.
1986 635csi.
Bronze Beige Metallic.
abandonede24

Post by abandonede24 »

Spasso wrote:Glad you are bringing her back to life.
I have been driving my 84 to work daily the last few weeks and have grown to really appreciate these M30's in Euro trim.
(60 mile round trip)
Nice torque and power
Hi Spasso ,

Thanks for a reply. Yea, I am happy I saved it! I am glad you are enjoying yours! You could easily daily drive this car with no issues, well maybe the fuel consumption is a bit higher than a modern car but I'll take that pay off.
abandonede24

Post by abandonede24 »

Hi Ronnie, Brucey and Ozbmwnut.

Sorry I am being a little lazy and since your posts are about the colour change I'll reply in the one reply.

Thanks for the concerns, and although this picture makes the car look good that's about it, the picture does make the car look good. All the panels are straight which is great but on a closer look the paint is pretty rough in the worked areas. The previous owner had put the car into a garage for estimations and they had removed the paint and primer from the roof, bonnet and the rear wheel arches. Annoyingly the bonnet and rear arches looked like they could have avoided this treatment as there is no real corrosion there while the roof had holes in it which was understandable. I have never practiced body painting but I know metal needs to be locked away from the elements. I painted the rear arches with a paint match rattle can to tidy up the arches, the roof had partial cover before my can ran out. The bonnet and remaining section of the roof is covered in a clear lacquer to help prevent any further rust. On the plus side I do enjoy not needing to worry too much about getting any scratches on the e24 as my other car project is a bit of a show car which I constantly worry it'll get scratched or worse when it is out..

Getting to know the car the bronze beige is definitely growing on me although alot of people I know aren't much of a fan although this is a classic colour from that time era. While grey and brown would not work! :-"

I was reading through the original manual for the E24 and I came across the gear ratio's. What do you mean it will max out in forth? Im guessing you mean that the engine doesn't have enough power to go faster(top speed) in fifth? I hear you can get over 100mph in third! 8-[ I do love the tall gear ratio's in this car, it makes for some good lazy driving at times.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

an overdrive gearing is one that is too high for the engine to pull it to max rpms, (and often uses the gearbox to gear up rather than gear down in top gear). The air resistance goes up as the square of the speed, so an engine with a fixed amount of torque might pull the car along at 100mph but not at 130mph or higher. The standard (European) spec overdrive gearing in E24 models (both auto and manual) allows relaxed autobahn cruising at ~100mph in top gear with about 3000rpm showing. If it could pull top gear it would do about 200mph.... :wink:

If you want top speed then you have to use one gear lower; 4th in a manual, 3rd in an auto.

In an autobox model the shift from second gear (in 'sport mode' with your foot down) to third can happen at an indicated 96mph . Reverse gear is good for over 70mph.... :shock: :shock:

Some folk like shorter gearing and for this you can use the dogleg box (with a 1:1 top gear, no overdrive ratio) and/or a different diff ratio. With this sort of setup is kind of fun losing the back end in the lower gears for sure but I prefer to have the long-legged gearing TBH.

Re the colour scheme; 'err in haste, repent at leisure' . Give it a while if you are in no hurry; you might decide you actually like the original colour scheme after all.... :wink:

I think the main thing in a project E24 is that you have a sound bodyshell and mechanicals; I've seen a lot of expensive paint jobs over dodgy body repairs and this is not the way ahead IMHO; if you are concentrating on keeping rust at bay and making it go well, this is the best thing to do; there are plenty enough shiny cars in the world that don't go very well.....

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~