M635 project in Sweden

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

RG500NOR

M635 project in Sweden

Post by RG500NOR »

Hello all. Just want to introduce me as a newbie to this forum and BMWs. Have had many cars and bike projects over the years but never a BMW. Not even as my daily. But over the years the shape of the E24 has really gotten to me and I think it gets more beautiful as it ages. When I finally decided to get one I remembered the magazine back in the day when the M635 was presented and I first read about it (Still got it!) and it was clear that that was what I was looking for. Have lost out on a couple before I had the success to secure one now. Yeah I know they can be bought any day too but I like projects as it is my hobby and thus the pristine ones you see advertised around in Europe was not what I was looking for. Luckily the car was only a couple of hours away from me so I was able this time to get there first! :-).
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (204.74 KiB) Viewed 12722 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (158.32 KiB) Viewed 12722 times
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: M635 project in Sweden

Post by GRNSHRK »

Welcome to the madness, and great find =D>

We have a few other Swedes on the board as well as others from the various Scandinavian countries, I'm sure others will chime in shortly, offering their well wishes as too :wink:

Once again, welcome aboard 8)
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

The m parallels look really nice on your e24. 18" wheels can look a little oversize on our cars but these look great.

Welcome to bigcoupe
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

More M parallels. Must admit that they do look great.

They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
dlvad
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dlvad »

Thanks I needed that! Hats Off for these pic's..

M-Parallels look the the Ace on this Euro e24/M635 + Hennna-Rot + Schwarz Buffalo Leder + Shadowline. A wicked combination.
The lighting is Great too.

Cheers
DV
Motorsport & Vintage Coupes
ALPINA Oldtimers of Course...
BMW-Classic CCA
miklilmag

Post by miklilmag »

Hello,
need some glass, looks good,
welcome to the madness,

Franke
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

dlvad wrote:Thanks I needed that! Hats Off for these pic's..

M-Parallels look the the Ace on this Euro e24/M635 + Hennna-Rot + Schwarz Buffalo Leder + Shadowline. A wicked combination.
The lighting is Great too.

Cheers
DV, It's Misano Red and Schwarz Nappa Leather. Pics done on a magazine photo shoot.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
RG500NOR

Post by RG500NOR »

Thanks! Yeah I like the wheels and the stance it got. It is Bilstein suspension too. Anyway as you see there are some issues to be fixed. My plan for now is to get hold off the missing parts and parts in poor condition. In addition I need to loosen the brakes (it barely moves) and get the engine running on all cylinders and fix what is not electrically working. Previous owner adviced me to change the cam chain as well. So enough to do.

But first I need to take out these babies:
Attachments
Missing the keynut!
Missing the keynut!
image.jpeg (88.89 KiB) Viewed 12620 times
dlvad
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dlvad »

Oh'boy - Similar to McGard locking Lugs… Removal without original key adapter or key code is painful.

Need to Drill/Pilot the lug bolt, Clean, Insert/Tap in a Hardened EasyOut/Left Hand Extractor, Relieve some pressure by snugging up the remaining 4 studs while jacking up each corner.

Best of all no damage damage to your Wheels/Finish.

If all else fails you can tack a 17/18mm stud to the head of the locking lug or Mash on a Socket with a good hammer..
Which will likely leave a mark or several….
DV
BMW-Classic CCA
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

These work really well if you can get one that'll fit in there.
Z_qEp_qcpEx_.JPG
Z_qEp_qcpEx_.JPG (7.41 KiB) Viewed 12600 times
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
dlvad
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dlvad »

hornhospital wrote:These work really well if you can get one that'll fit in there.Z_qEp_qcpEx_.JPG
Impact Wrenches wobble a bit too, Socket sidewall OD/clearance is crucial on the bored hub face. Still going to require a hammering I suspect…

Good luck
DV
BMW-Classic CCA
RG500NOR

Post by RG500NOR »

miklilmag wrote: need some glass, looks good,
welcome to the madness,
It has had a break in and entry. The head unit for the stereo and the key socket for the wheel bolts got taken. In addition to the broken glass. Oh well!
miklilmag

Post by miklilmag »

RG500NOR wrote:
miklilmag wrote: need some glass, looks good,
welcome to the madness,
It has had a break in and entry. The head unit for the stereo and the key socket for the wheel bolts got taken. In addition to the broken glass. Oh well!

bastards
RG500NOR

Post by RG500NOR »

Took a trip around to the wheel stores here and actually got to borrow the master set from the local BMW dealer in town to try on for fit for the wheel nut locks. Non fitted and thus we have to use another method.

Found a kit at the local hardware store with reverse threads to be screwed on the nuts. Not to expensive either. The first one I was able to do myself as the reverse thread gripped well on the nut. After that I had to have help* to hammer it while it was turned to make it grip. Hard work but eventually they came off. Next step to free the brakes so I can move it around without excessive force. I never said but it has been sitting for 13 years.

*wife:-)
Attachments
Success
Success
image.jpeg (133.84 KiB) Viewed 12571 times
RG500NOR

Post by RG500NOR »

Got to attend the brakes. The rear was ok and worked properly. The front was a different story. Left side I was able to free up after some elbow grease but the right side I could not get to move so had to take the caliper apart. I will rebuild them with new parts later but had to do this now as I need the car to be moved around.

A question to you squad: Are the calipers supposed to be silver or gold plated? I see different on the web and the ones I have will not tell...:-)
Attachments
IMG_0178.JPG
IMG_0178.JPG (112.74 KiB) Viewed 12387 times
RG500NOR

Post by RG500NOR »

I have got hold of this very informative Book : BMW M-Series by James Taylor. It has a section specifically for the M635 and then also the rest of the M cars from 78 -99. Highly recommended.

As an example it describes the glass used on the M635. As you have seen the window on the passenger door has been broken and I need to source a new one. The M635 has only green tinted glass in opposition to the rest of the E24 that could come in clear and bronze too. BMW had two vendors for this glass Sigla and Delodur. They could be mixed on a car but would never have two different vendor on the side glass. So my car has Delodur and it gives me the direction for what I need to find. Green tinted glass and Delodur as the vendor. Wonder how many windows I would have had by now if I not had this book! :-)
Attachments
IMG_0188.JPG
IMG_0188.JPG (40.83 KiB) Viewed 12306 times
challenger

Post by challenger »

Welcome, and congrats finding your project car!
88 635 CSiA Euro
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Did that book come from Australia? :wink:

I believe the calipers weren't painted at all. Maybe cadmium plated?
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
RG500NOR

Post by RG500NOR »

hornhospital wrote:Did that book come from Australia? :wink:

I believe the calipers weren't painted at all. Maybe cadmium plated?
Yupp I got the book from an Oz web bookstore! :-).

If the calipers where cadmium plated I guess they had a goldish appearance?
challenger wrote:Welcome, and congrats finding your project car!
Thanks!
RG500NOR

Post by RG500NOR »

Success I have been able to track down the right glass for my window. EBay is a great thing sometimes. A challenge as you can see is all the glue residue on the passanger window and door. I checked the web and a tip was to use WD40. It did work after several rounds of apply, let it absorb and rubbing with a rug. Anyway the job went fairly easy and the window was easy to adjust to fit in the door and towards the rubber trim. The color matched so this was a small milestone completed!
It will be great to get rid of this!
It will be great to get rid of this!
IMG_0186.JPG (53.78 KiB) Viewed 12176 times
Glue residue hard as rock!
Glue residue hard as rock!
IMG_0187.JPG (185.46 KiB) Viewed 12176 times
Success. Color tint matched!
Success. Color tint matched!
IMG_0189.JPG (36.94 KiB) Viewed 12176 times
RG500NOR

Post by RG500NOR »

The engine needs some attention. But before I think of pulling it a part I would like to see if I can get it to run on all cylinders. It feels weak and sounds terrible. Naturally you look into fuel and spark issues. First challenge is to get the spark plugs out and what a PITA. I have no sockets that fit and the one that fits down the hole won't grip. What is this? I check the size of the spark plugs and it is an 18mm fit. Never needed that before and none of the tools store around here have one in stock. So I get a 18 mm extended length socket and add a rubbergrommet in it. Try for fit but it is to large to go down the hole. Needs to be turned down. Long story short here is my new M635 spark plug socket:
IMG_0501.JPG
IMG_0501.JPG (85.54 KiB) Viewed 12073 times
RG500NOR

Post by RG500NOR »

The new plugs made it run better but not where it should be. Next step was to check and clean the injectors. I had that done by a speed shop here and the proof is in the pudding as you can see from the enclosed chart.
IMG_0234.JPG
IMG_0234.JPG (77.18 KiB) Viewed 12008 times
One was fully plugged. The rest not so bad but cleaner now and with new o-rings and seals. Got them back and put them back in. Viola it runs and sounds as a proper bimmer should. Actually I could not resist to take it for a spin even with previous owners advice of changing the cam chain sooner. This discovered a new challenge though. When the engine got warm the throttles could stick at open positions. Is it a know issue and any suggestions for easy fixes/adjustments for this?