My second 6er: steal of a deal

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

ScottyK

My second 6er: steal of a deal

Post by ScottyK »

Hey all,

I recently closed the deal on my second shark, a 1987 635csi. Build date 10-86. Zinnoberrot Red, although was repainted at some point. 136k original miles. Auto transmission. Overall it's in pretty good shape considering I landed the deal for 1200. It has its quirks/needs, but I'm excited to make it my own.

The glovebox was tricky to open... But once I got it open, I found the original owners manual, the owner before my sellers checkbook (haha) and some service history records. This was also in there... Loos like this site offered prior owner dbaum some valuable information on this car. There's 5 pages of info/responses printed off from 2010.

Here it is as delivered to me this morning:

And re-parked to sit for now:

ScottyK

Re: My second 6er: steal of a deal

Post by ScottyK »

Let's check out that engine bay and build date info..

Fairly new battery, good sign:

ScottyK

Post by ScottyK »

Bonus signed nardi steering wheel. I personally love it, although it's tempting to paint the metal flat black or similar to flow better with the interior... Don't want to jepordize the integrity of the wheel tho.

ScottyK

Post by ScottyK »

Had about an hour open today to remove the "M" badges and misplaced "635i" and "CS". Removed everything completely for now.. Looks much cleaner/less cluttered. Found out why the "CS" badge was down there... Surprise flaw underneath.. Easy fix for later tho. Pics of process and blistered fingers on both hands from rubbing the glue they caked on there off. #-o

Some portable Pandora while getting these badges off. Removed the font grill one first. Was glued on..

If you look close, you can see where it was.. I'll chip that glue off laterish.

Now to eliminate this mess

This "M" was the most difficult to remove... She was on there gooood.. ](*,)

All off...

Now to rub off the glue.. ](*,)

Much more classy/clean.

Came accross this badge from my 633csi trunk lid that I removed and replaced with a new one because this one was "worn". Ha! The hood badge/roundel on this car is a better definition of "worn"... Wish I could switch these! Oh well.

Had a little time left when I was done for a short cruise... And some quick pics of the trunk interior when I got home... And that's it for today! :-)

Removed the carpet pieces for these pics... They're intact and in very nice shape.

I need headlight high and low beam bulbs... Any recommendations?

Scott
Finally6

Post by Finally6 »

Nice purchase!!
Northern VA, I-95 drone...
RHD 81 635
02 530i
00 528iT
91 535i
zinnocoupe

Post by zinnocoupe »

Awesome, $1200. What a great deal.
1979 Euro 635ci no longer a basketcase, just a running rust bucket!
1977 530i Partially restored and running now!
1987 635csi 60K KM Garage Queen
Alpinacsi

Post by Alpinacsi »

It is all looking good. Many of the cars had the tail panel between the lights painted low gloss black so that could be an option to clean up that panel.

What are you going to do with the m badges? I have a m car project that I am working on that needs badge help. I also have some of the other emblems if you need any.
Alpina B9 coupe (Alpinweiss)
Alpina B9 sedan (Alpinweiss)
Alpina B6 clone in process (Alpinweiss)
Mini S (had to go: it was Electric Blue)
Rover Disco 1 (Alpine White)
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

ScottyK wrote:Bonus signed nardi steering wheel. I personally love it, although it's tempting to paint the metal flat black or similar to flow better with the interior... Don't want to jepordize the integrity of the wheel tho.

Noooooooooo........... [-o<
Polish it up with a Dremel and a buffing pad .
If you attempt to paint the spokes you'll also have to paint the inside edge between the spokes visible on the inside rim. This, along with the black line already on the rim, will look like shit .That's a beautiful wheel ,buy a cheap crap wheel if you want to mess one up and sell that one ( for a lot of bucks :D ) to someone who'll appreciate it.
By adding a wood gearshift handle ,and surround if you feel up to it, you'll transform and lift the plastic eighties interior.
DSCF7932 - Copy (Small).JPG
DSCF7932 - Copy (Small).JPG (113.26 KiB) Viewed 13798 times
Paint the section between your rear lights satin black.
Cr and cats 011 - Copy (2) (Small).jpg
Cr and cats 011 - Copy (2) (Small).jpg (142.92 KiB) Viewed 13798 times
Refurb your rear light brightwork with chrome vinyl wrap , I did both of mine shown.
DSCF7922 - Copy (Small).JPG
DSCF7922 - Copy (Small).JPG (88.08 KiB) Viewed 13798 times
You'll turn that into a really nice car .
Don
1981 635 series 1
ScottyK

Post by ScottyK »

Alpinacsi wrote:It is all looking good. Many of the cars had the tail panel between the lights painted low gloss black so that could be an option to clean up that panel.

What are you going to do with the m badges? I have a m car project that I am working on that needs badge help. I also have some of the other emblems if you need any.
I'm undecided on what I'll do with them, but if you'd like them I can ship them to you. Let me take better pictures of them first, as they are not new. Do you have a front BMW roundel?
ScottyK

Post by ScottyK »

olympia57 wrote:Noooooooooo........... [-o<
Polish it up with a Dremel and a buffing pad .
If you attempt to paint the spokes you'll also have to paint the inside edge between the spokes visible on the inside rim. This, along with the black line already on the rim, will look like shit .That's a beautiful wheel ,buy a cheap crap wheel if you want to mess one up and sell that one ( for a lot of bucks :D ) to someone who'll appreciate it.
By adding a wood gearshift handle ,and surround if you feel up to it, you'll transform and lift the plastic eighties interior.

Paint the section between your rear lights satin black.

Refurb your rear light brightwork with chrome vinyl wrap , I did both of mine shown.

You'll turn that into a really nice car .
Don
Great feedback Don, thanks. I'm glad you said something about the wheel. I'll be keeping it original. Do you have any recommendations on the shifter handle? I need a new one anyways. The button on mine has no pressure to it.. It's just there. I agree on the license plate area, at some point I'll be refinishing that in satin black.

Today, during a short drive to oreillys to get headlights, low and high.. ($47).. A dash warning light came on.. I believe it was for the electronic shift control. Looked like a gear with an exclamation point in the middle. It was to the left of the "park" "P" light. The car drove the same with it on. Then when I restarted it after leaving oreillys, the light was gone and remained gone for the rest of my errands. I'll keep an eye on it. Is there any trick to replacing the headlights? I noticed yesterday the access from the rear, just a single plastic panel to remove is easy. Do I replace the lights from the back that way or do I need to remove the front grill(s) to replace them?
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

You replace the headlights from the front. Remove the grills, then three screws on the retaining ring per light.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
ScottyK

Post by ScottyK »

hornhospital wrote:You replace the headlights from the front. Remove the grills, then three screws on the retaining ring per light.
Got all lights replaced, including fogs. Kinda funny... How'd he go anywhere at night? :-k
Thought "this'll be a cinch" till I had to remove those blinker housings... That was tricky. But... All done and let there be light! - Parked outside Gander Mountain

Sooo.. Does this steering wheel tilt? Haven't messed with this leaver yet.

Just cruisin' to Gander Mtn and back..

Zoomed in

zinnocoupe

Post by zinnocoupe »

Pull down on the chrome handle under the steering column, the wheel telescopes in and out. No tilt
1979 Euro 635ci no longer a basketcase, just a running rust bucket!
1977 530i Partially restored and running now!
1987 635csi 60K KM Garage Queen
Alpinacsi

Post by Alpinacsi »

ScottyK wrote:
Alpinacsi wrote:It is all looking good. Many of the cars had the tail panel between the lights painted low gloss black so that could be an option to clean up that panel.

I'm undecided on what I'll do with them, but if you'd like them I can ship them to you. Let me take better pictures of them first, as they are not new. Do you have a front BMW roundel?
I do have the front roundel. Will see if I can put my hands on it over the weekend.
Alpina B9 coupe (Alpinweiss)
Alpina B9 sedan (Alpinweiss)
Alpina B6 clone in process (Alpinweiss)
Mini S (had to go: it was Electric Blue)
Rover Disco 1 (Alpine White)
slofut

Post by slofut »

Damn, killer deal! I can tell you're smitten with the car, I would be too. I like the red roundel on back, and now I remember why I bought that same spoiler off ebay a couple years ago, it looks great.
Cheers!
'87 635csi, 5sp man, dk blu on pearl beige
'88 635csi, auto, black on grey
'63 BMW Isetta
'75 XJ6C, 2dr, warm 350
'86 XJ6, th700r4
'75TR6
'64 Olds 88 conv
"68 T120 Bonneville
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Red roundel??????
Ken Kanne
ScottyK

Post by ScottyK »

Yeah hornhospital, the one on the trunk is red instead of blue..

My wife asked to go for her first ride in it today, so we took it out for a cruise, coffee and to pick some mountain ash for our front porch. She really liked it, which was nice. Took a couple of side shots when we stopped for the mountain ash.. her door is slightly open (forgot to close it b4 taking the pic)

I noticed during our drive that on my key is a button, the entire round BMW emblem. Is this simply for the light or is this actually keyless entry of some sort?

Pushed in

And not...

The little cruise was nice. Some highway, but mostly cruising along the edge of the lake. 8)
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

It's just a light.

I missed the red roundel in the pictures. It looks nice against the red paint. To each their own taste, but I'm not a fan of other-than-original roundels. Reds, blacks, carbon fiber, etc., not for me.
Ken Kanne
ScottyK

Post by ScottyK »

hornhospital wrote:It's just a light.

I missed the red roundel in the pictures. It looks nice against the red paint. To each their own taste, but I'm not a fan of other-than-original roundels. Reds, blacks, carbon fiber, etc., not for me.
I agree and would prefer blue. I'm halfways tempted to put the one I have on there instead. Especially to match the one Alpinacsi may have for me, front to back.
ScottyK

Post by ScottyK »

Registered as collector, insured and changed oil/filter.. planning on getting it appraised either b4 I store it or in the spring. Odds are it'll appraise for more than 1200. Haha.. that way, I can insure it at the appraisal rate and get that rate paid out if I get in a wreck or whatever. Then it's no worries ownership and cruising!

At the shop

Last edited by ScottyK on Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brickwhite

Post by brickwhite »

Try Hagerty for insurance. I've had good luck with them on my e24 and my Triumph Tr4
- 12 535i
- 92 325ic
ScottyK

Post by ScottyK »

brickwhite wrote:Try Hagerty for insurance. I've had good luck with them on my e24 and my Triumph Tr4
Would they include the appraisal cost and benefit? Otherwise, I've had the same insurance for nearly 20 years... it'd be tough to switch! Right now, I'm looking at paying $150 for the appraisal.

With my 83 633csi, I had it appraised by this same guy for $9800.. then it was insured for that amount. Nice piece of mind at the time..

On another note, came across a couple small fix needs over the last few days

Haha.. saw this pic and thought to myself this one might be confusing.. does he mean it needs to be fixed to become a manual? Well, yes.. if the transmission ever dies.. then I'll convert. Until then, the spacing is the issue pictured. :)

My wife identified this one.. light still works when opened.. but the unfortunate duct tape fix.

hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

ScottyK wrote: On another note, came across a couple small fix needs over the last few days

Part # 64111359611

Hope you're sitting down when you look it up. Mighty spendy for a piece of plastic. :shock:
Ken Kanne
ScottyK

Post by ScottyK »

Indeed! \:D/

Thought I'd share some of the projects I've enjoyed working on over the last few years

Loved driving this one, but hated funding it. 1992 URS4

Owned this one nearly 20 years ago.. fixed it up,then used it for people's weddings. 1976 300D

My first car. Looooved it. 1991 Eclipse GS manual

Sold this one recently when I started commuting 100 miles/day for work. 2010 Mini Cooper S manual

Liked this one, but it was pretty tight for me at 6'5", 290. 1984 carbed rabbit manual

You know.. this was a fun fun fun car to drive.. but super uncomfortable seats for a guy my size. This was the unfortunate deal breaker. 2015 Focus ST

Loved this car. Drive it 90,000 miles then sadly sold it. Very grandpa looking but so so enjoyable to drive and own. I'll get another one of this generation some day.. limited package was a must. 2011 Sonata Hybrid

Enjoyed cruising around in this one and working on it.. but again, tight for a tall guy. Fun to remove the top. 1969 Jeepster Commando. This is the oldest vehicle I've owned.

Enjoyable easy to work on surprisingly roomy 1975 Datsun 280z manual

The year is escaping me on this one, but I believe it was a 1984 Saab 900T manual sedan. Super fun to own and drive. Guy that bought it from me flew up from Texas to Minnesota to get it and drive it home.

Ahhhh my 1983 633csi. Top 3 ever. Miss it.

This one was just pure summer fun. Most people hate this generation corvette, but it's oddly one of my favorites. Kinda felt like a Ken doll with the color combo... but 1990 Corvette 6spd manual roadster.

This one I spent a lot of time and money on. 1982 rare diesel westfalia manual. I paid 3500 for it and put close to 4000 into it. Last I heard it sold at an auction for 19,500.

It's in the background here mid restoration. Loved this 2001 Audi manual Quattro wagon too.

Really liked this car when I owned it. 2008 civic si

Not a car.. but my best friend. Saved him as a puppy petitioning their decision to put him down due to aggression. He turned 13 last month. Jacko

Drove 3 hours one way to look at this 87? 635csi manual after selling my 633csi over 5 years ago. Decided against this one at the time due to rust and the leg room area for the driver was terrible. Not sure if some just are? Funny how close my current 87 looks to this one I didn't buy

Some daily drivers not mentioned. Yep. I just love cars. I'm just wired that way I guess?

2004 SVT euro focus

2004? Volvo XC90

The Audi

Super fun comfortable good mpg Passat 2.0t 6/manual

2011 Kia Optima manual. Bought new

My 2004 Passat wagon 4motion v6. Good stuff

Another loved one. 2005 Focus ST manual

Hybrids. Didn't like this one at all. 2007 civic hybrid blah

2010 Prius. The cool memory about this one was how I got it. I bought an xbox 360, then traded sold and bought my way up to this car.. no $$ spent extra. This was in 2010.

Missing a few F150's and a ram in there but yeah. This is me. Holy post Batman. I feel like I'm going to own this 635csi for a long time... so that's why I did this. I'm looking forward to updating this thread for many pages and owning this car for many years. Time to keep one. :)
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

You did something I wish I'd done my entire driving life (51+ years). You took photos of your vehicles. I have very few pictures of the 30-some-odd cars I've owned. :(
Ken Kanne