1979 Euro 635csi

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

zinnocoupe

1979 Euro 635csi

Post by zinnocoupe »

I just bought my third e24. The first one , a 1987 635csi I still have and continue to work on. A while ago I bought a 1983 633 that was a rusty wreck, mainly for the five speed swap, other than the actual transmission which was a 260/5 and I had already got a 260/6 for my swap. I have been wanting an e12 for a while now. I would really love an e12 m535i, but not much chance of that happening, they do come up for sale but they are for sure out of my range. Anyways about a week ago one evening I check Craigslist as usual, trolling for old bimmers. This ad has just been posted 9 minutes before I find it:
My wife is giving me weird looks while I'm on the phone :wink:

I call immediately, knowing I can't get from Vancouver BC to Seattle for two days as I have to work. I call the seller and he agrees to accept $200 paypaled as a deposit to hold the car for me. By next day the seller has had so many calls from other interested parties he refunds my deposit and wants $2000, I agree to pay. I assume the car is rusted out but its loaded with great parts.

No sunroof Yaaa!

I have to rent a trailer from uhaul in Everett Wash . The seller helps me load the car. Not sure how I would have done it without his help. I really didn't have a choice as all my buddies were working. I take the car to a storage yard as the export/import process takes a while.
Very cool no foglights

So I finally get the car home after a bunch of paperwork. It was actually harder to export the car and be allowed to take in out of the US than it is bringing it into Canada. Although at the border they question the fact that it was originally sold in Germany and is a grey market car. But I make it in having to pay $105.00 duty.

The car has the M90 engine, 265/5 CR transmission, Recaros, 3.07 LSD. The dash is crack free, amazing.The bumpers are nice and shiney although the back one looks a bit bent in, maybe fixable? The drivers seat is really in bad shape so will have to be recovered. There is rust in the inner fender/trumpet area. But the shock towers "appear" ok. also rust in the rear lower quarters. Also the drivers and pass floorboards are very rusty. the doors, sills, fenders trunk appear rust free, maybe. Underneath the car is amazingly rust free, the subframe and engine area has no rust. So some good and some bad. I am hoping to save the car, not sure how as I have very little welding skill. When I drained the oil the other day lots of water came out first :( . So I'm starting to remove the head and see how bad things look. Never done this before so going slowly and labeling and taking pics. Hoping its not a cracked block. Thats where I am now
Last edited by zinnocoupe on Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1979 Euro 635ci no longer a basketcase, just a running rust bucket!
1977 530i Partially restored and running now!
1987 635csi 60K KM Garage Queen
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 1979 Euro 635csi

Post by olympia57 »

A huge congratulations for persevering and getting it . =D>
Great to see another early car being saved.
That car would have sold for >twice that sum over here in UK/Ireland .
Parts for the E12 model are not difficult to get but the trick is being able to identify what is E12 rather than E28 based , everything has to be double checked.
I had to rebuild all the body areas you mention ( and a lot more ...) and there are some photos on my project thread but I have many more if they are of use to you .
Good luck with the project and keep us up to date with progress.
Don
1981 635 series 1
dwcains

Post by dwcains »

Wow, nice find. Great to see another old one saved, and this one certainly looks worthy.
Dean
Lutz, FL

'85 635 CSi Euro #9402254
'87 Spider Veloce
'92 Spider Veloce
'08 350Z

zinnocoupe

Post by zinnocoupe »

olympia57 wrote:A huge congratulations for persevering and getting it . =D>
Great to see another early car being saved.
That car would have sold for >twice that sum over here in UK/Ireland .
Parts for the E12 model are not difficult to get but the trick is being able to identify what is E12 rather than E28 based , everything has to be double checked.
I had to rebuild all the body areas you mention ( and a lot more ...) and there are some photos on my project thread but I have many more if they are of use to you .
Good luck with the project and keep us up to date with progress.
Don
Don, I am just realizing the parts issue with these, been looking on pelican , ecs tuning etc and there seems to be alot more things to check and double check when trying to find parts. Also when you type in the year and model of car you are looking for parts for there isn't always a 1979 635csi in the dropdown menu, only 633csi or 528i. Mmmm which to pick? The car is essentially a 528i, but with the M90 in an early e12 based e24, simple :D

yes I will check out your project photos and would love to see more if possible. For now I just want to see if its a head gasket or cracked block. I assume if the block is cracked its going to be in that thin metal between the bores? Anyone seen a cracked block? Cheers
dwcains wrote:Wow, nice find. Great to see another old one saved, and this one certainly looks worthy.

Thx Dean I keep telling myself its worthy, when I dig in a little deeper, I will post more photos
zinnocoupe

Post by zinnocoupe »

A few more pics:
I found the elusive white L and 3.5 on raised water jacket confirming the M90, too bad the oils full of water

also confirmed the diff is a 3.07 LSD

Headliner is in great shape,no tears, dirty but its a plastic material so should come clean, vs the fabric ones

Drivers seat is trashed, pass seat is pretty good, Strangely I think someone has switched the seats as the seatback adjusting knobs are on the inside instead of the outside by the doors. I think, maybe someone can confirm that. Thats the way I've seen all other Recaros
Uncracked dash!

Carpets have food spills and god knows what, but no holes tears or worn spots anywhere

Back seat is really nice of course. Nice white stitching. Seems to be some aftermarket seatbelts

3 pounds of food gunk all over the shifter and window switch area!!

Still working on removing the intake runners etc to get the head off, these early engines sure have a lot of hoses and wires etc clogging the underside of the intake compared to the B34 in my 87 E24. :D
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Great score Dave. It is well worth the effort to save that car. Water in the oil is bad but at least it turns easily. Sounds like you'll have to pull the head with the intake runners installed. Lots to do but it will be fun.

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Great find and it looks rust free! You scored!
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
zinnocoupe

Post by zinnocoupe »

Ralph, Thx for your help the other day. I did actually get the intake runners etc all off. Sure took a while. Those lower nuts seem to be at an angle where its very hard to get a socket on then and have room to turn the ratchet. Of course after struggling to get all six off I feel I've mastered the technique. First time doing it was awkward for sure.
tschultz wrote:Great find and it looks rust free! You scored!
Thx, there is good and bad on the rust situation. The drivers and passenger floor is gone, there is actually foam etc hanging out of the car, also the inner fenders along the trumpet area are full of rust right through to the engine bay. Shock towers appear ok, I hope. Also some other small areas have rust. But yes it "looks " pretty good from 20 feet :D

Will be pulling the head off today. We shall see what we see. So far with the valve cover off I have been horrified how gunky and gross everything is. Everything is covered with a 1/16 of brown sludge. Also the oil spraybar is installed backwards. Arrow pointed to back of car ](*,) Pics to follow
All the lobes look nice and shiny and not scored at all. About 4 of the rockers have alot of play in them. Like a 1/16th!! that can't be good.
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

What a great find! I'm really envious that you have a non-sunroof example :wink:
zinnocoupe

Post by zinnocoupe »

Thx Pod, I'm pretty happy about the slicktop as well.

Not so happy about this: pretty gross

also looks like the spray bar is installed backwards:
zinnocoupe

Post by zinnocoupe »

So heres the head before I pulled it, pretty dirty:

and the headbolts, you can hardly tell they're threaded bolts there is so much shit on them

both halves of the block, I don't see any cracks

I kept putting off climbing under the car to drain the block and then forgot to do it before I pulled the head off. Coolant everywhere, my bad :oops:

each cylinder on the head

Yikes, wtf? thats a 1/4 inch of crap

Head gasket

this spot on the HG looks like its scorched as if there is hot stuff sneaking past.

And the same spot on the head

I don't really see where water is getting in to the oil from looking at all the "evidence" Maybe one of you gentlemen do?
I don't see any cracks anywhere which is good I guess :-k

I started to take the head apart and really had a hard time getting the cam out.I tried to relieve pressure from the rockers on the lobes but it didn't go to well . Took a long time. Then Ralph let me know the right way by sliding the rockers sideways off the lobes and then driving out the shafts. Live and learn. Thx again Ralph

Its out

Couple other details
There is no M90 stamped on thr front of the head by the timing chain sprocket or inside the head near no 6. like I was expecting.
This on side of the head:

Which make it an early M90 head, This car was built 04/79 and the later M90 head( later starting in 80, not sure when exactly) does have the M90 stamps. Of course I could very very well could be wrong. I'm just trying to put this down to try and document some of these mundane identification details. Please add to this if you have more info. I have been searching the web and have found some good info but not a lot.

Thats it for now. I will be sending the head out to be checked for cracks and flatness soon, once I get the valves out, thats next :D
Last edited by zinnocoupe on Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

zinnocoupe wrote: ................., I am just realizing the parts issue with these, been looking on pelican , ecs tuning etc and there seems to be alot more things to check and double check when trying to find parts. Also when you type in the year and model of car you are looking for parts for there isn't always a 1979 635csi in the dropdown menu, only 633csi or 528i. Mmmm which to pick? The car is essentially a 528i, but with the M90 in an early e12 based e24, simple :D
Congratulations!

Having owned a '79 635 at one time (see link below my Sig),

I found that the best way to order the part that your car came out of the factory with is to go to http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select and type in the last 7 digits of the VIN. (NO menus)
This will pre-load only the parts your car comes with.
Search the main categories and sub-categories and you will find the correct part number for each item.
Copy and paste the part number into the search bar of your parts jobber (like Pelican) and it will pull up the correct part.

I always got the correct part this way.

P.S. You will find many parts for the E12 based 635 are no longer available compared to the E28 635's.
zinnocoupe

Post by zinnocoupe »

Spasso wrote:
zinnocoupe wrote: ................., I am just realizing the parts issue with these, been looking on pelican , ecs tuning etc and there seems to be alot more things to check and double check when trying to find parts. Also when you type in the year and model of car you are looking for parts for there isn't always a 1979 635csi in the dropdown menu, only 633csi or 528i. Mmmm which to pick? The car is essentially a 528i, but with the M90 in an early e12 based e24, simple :D
Congratulations!

Having owned a '79 635 at one time (see link below my Sig),

I found that the best way to order the part that your car came out of the factory with is to go to http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/select and type in the last 7 digits of the VIN. (NO menus)
This will pre-load only the parts your car comes with.
Search the main categories and sub-categories and you will find the correct part number for each item.
Copy and paste the part number into the search bar of your parts jobber (like Pelican) and it will pull up the correct part.

I always got the correct part this way.

P.S. You will find many parts for the E12 based 635 are no longer available compared to the E28 635's.
Spasso, Thx very much ,I have actually been doing exactly this for the last few days while looking for stuff. I haven't ordered anything yet because the list keeps growing. Nice to here from you that this in fact will work. And yes it looks to me like parts are more commonly NLA for the E12 cars. :(
I appreciate the pointer, Cheers Dave
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

zinnocoupe wrote:]

Spasso, Thx very much ,I have actually been doing exactly this for the last few days while looking for stuff. I haven't ordered anything yet because the list keeps growing. Nice to here from you that this in fact will work. And yes it looks to me like parts are more commonly NLA for the E12 cars. :(
I appreciate the pointer, Cheers Dave
Glad to help.
I have found that some suppliers may list a part as NLA but searching around I have found the part anyway.
I even went as far as ordering a rear exhaust manifold directly from Germany.
I also found a new set of pistons for my '84 Euro in the UK (ebay) that were also NLA but I didn't need them as it turns out..

Probably the the most frustrating was fewer strut, spring and shock upgrade choices. (Not in common with the E28 based cars).
The other issues are interior trim, switch gear and things like window motors. (Also unique to the E12)

Good luck
zinnocoupe

Post by zinnocoupe »

Spasso, Thx again

So I've been plugging away at this for a while. I got the cam out and the front lobe that wasn't really getting oil because of the reversed spraybar has been worn down by about .5 mm. I was just going to throw it back in there and hope for the best. More on that in a bit:

All the old gasket material came off easy except for the cam sprocket cover, someone had used what looks like epoxy glue on it. It took abou an hour to slowly scrape and polish it off with a scotchbrite pad:

I took the head into a local engine shop and they cleaned it, vacuum tested the valves, pressure tested for cracks. Also replaced the seals. I was going to do that myself but I don't have the spring compressor and they offered to do it. They also machined it as there were a few low spots but the tech I talked to said it was really in good shape considering the condition of the engine. So the head is all good to go:

nice and clean

Machined head

The valves themselves are still caked with some pretty hard shit, the machine shop guy said not to worry about it but I'll prob spend way too much time cleaning all that off with a dremel or something. I was hoping they would do all that but what are going to do. :roll:

While the head was in the shop I started thinking about what I would do if it was cracked and I figured maybe I would start looking online to see how hard it would be to find a replacement head for an M90. I searched around and found some posts and threads on MyE28 that said early ( before 01/84) 533/633/733 heads are actually the same head thats on the M90. The 633 parts car I have was built 10/82 so it should have the head I need. The engine for that car has been sitting in my driveway for a while bugging my wife and neighbours and generally looking like shit. I go out there in the dark and pouring rain and pull off the cam sprocket cover. It says M90 under the cover :

Wow BMW gold!! Pretty exciting stuff!

Great I have a spare in case my other head is cracked or whatever. This is awesome news! But looking on Realoem using the last 7 of my VIN (5547084) I see that the Part number of the M90 head is also used on all E28s, E24s and E23s WTF? Is that right? Am I reading realoem wrong? pt no of head: 11121278495

The original head on my M90 engine is cast with R1 304 473 and 3.5 the 633 engine is cast with 1 304 473 and 3.5

Heres the Realoem page: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part?id ... 1121278495
I am really new to the whole M90 thing, in fact this is the first head I've ever pulled off a engine and looked at it. Can someone explain this? Is the 633 head marked M90 a suitable spare for my M90 engine?

I have also posted the query over on MyE28 in Techtalk in case theres anyone only on there that may know the answer.

Next day I posted this on MYE28:
So I just got my M90 head back from the shop and its not cracked, and was decked so its all good to go. Of course I would still like to have the b32 head as a spare it its the right one. I've also found a few postings on here that say the early ( pre o1/84 ) 533/633/733 cam is very close to the M90 cam thats 272 degrees. Realoem says the M90 cam is pt no.11311269497 and the early 633 cam is pt no. 11311271986. so different part nos. but they are very close in profile? Any one have a comment on this? The cam in my M90 has one worn lobe and I'd love tho switch them out but not if I'm going to lose something in the process. Anyone have past experience with this? Thx Dave
Hopefully someone can confirm that the b32 cam is a similar profile and will work in this head and keep the same torque curve the original cam had.

Anyways while taking off the b32 head I had to really reef on those headbolts and I realized I din't have any trouble getting the M90 headbolts of the euro car. Maybe the same idiot who installed the spraybar backwards also didn't torque the headbolts properly. They came off easy. The b32 head is super clean and the cam has zero wear on it, despite higher mileage than the euro 635. The oil was nice and clean when I drained it about a year ago.

Clean but one spraybar bolt was loose!

So Ill be ordering a head gasket set and a few things but not a lot as I don't want pour too much $$ in this until I know its going to run and not puke smoke and oil all over the place. Maybe I'll look for a B35 cam. Plus I still have to clean up the block, rockers, headbolts. Lots of black shitty oil everywhere :D

One more little snag I've come across is the radiator. The one thats in this car is 26.5 x 19. I've found a few on CL etc out of E12s and early E24s. They have all been 29.5 across the top. Thats not going to fit between the brackets that capture the rad.

26.5 across the top
This one leaks pretty bad but I may have it rebuilt. Or pick up a used one. Not sure

This is the style I have found 4 times, Its got a bulge on the passenger side, 29.5 across the top

As you can see I have a few items that need sorting out. :-k
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Good work there zinno :shock:

Curious about the photo you took in the pouring rain last night, not getting a visual as to where this "M90" marking is :-?

Not sure if I would reuse that cam either, I realize that they ain't cheap, but that lobe doesn't look very healthy #-o

Keep up the good work =D>
Attachments
IMG_5229_zpsjwpuajqj.jpg
IMG_5229_zpsjwpuajqj.jpg (97.64 KiB) Viewed 18058 times
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
zinnocoupe

Post by zinnocoupe »

Bobbo, Sorry that wasn't a very good pic. You can see the M90 cast into the front of the head right beside where the cam comes out of the head and the timing sprocket bolts onto the end of it:

I realized my pics are looking shitty. I am trying to use a larger file size. Maybe that will help. All I have is my iphone and it takes great pics when the light is good but under cars and engine bays usually have bad light.

I just got a building permit to add a two car garage to my house. Hopefully next year sometime the BMWs will have a nice warm, well lit new home :D

Here is my work space now, when it rains the water flows right under it and I'm standing in 1/2 of water :cry:
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

zinnocoupe wrote:Spasso, Thx again

So I've been plugging away at this for a while. I got the cam out and the front lobe that wasn't really getting oil because of the reversed spraybar has been worn down by about .5 mm. I was just going to throw it back in there and hope for the best. More on that in a bit:

:-k
Do NOT reuse that cam.
You are wasting your time if it's worn that much.
Once a lobe starts going flat it continues to go goes flat quickly and spreads ground metal throughout your engine.

Click on the link below for my Euro '84 and you will see pictures of my #1 lobe (half way down page 3).

The part number for my Euro cam (264 degree) is 11-31-1-287-606-BOE, from Pelican.
The BOE means it's from BMW and you can pay the BMW premium of 841.00,
OR
you can order 11-31-1-287-606-M36 and and pay 168.00.
The M36 denotes the supplier code for Febi-Bilstein. The cams are new billet and made in Spain.

The low price might be worrisome but consider a camshaft for a Chevy small block don't cost much more than that and the one in my built 350 has lasted 20 years with no ill effects.
Also consider that if these Febi cams were garbage/defective, Pelican would be dealing with a number of dissatisfied customers.
Just something to consider if you are on a tight budget.

There are some performance after-market cams from people like Shrick but they will cost 700.00 to 900.00, (last I checked).

Spending 200.00 on a new grind is far better than a cam that has a flat lobe. Yours is DONE.

Most importantly!!! If you buy a new cam you MUST buy new rocker arms. The old ones will destroy your cam prematurely.
Rocker arms, P/N 11-33-1-271-833 for mine. These are used on the '79 model as well.

When all is said and done I bought some Brad Penn oil, P/N 009-7119, 20-50 wt. and some bottles of ZDDPlus.com for break in.
See
http://zddplus.com/ and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zinc_dithiophosphate
The ZDDP in the Brad Penn will protect the cam lobes from going flat where as the "new" oils without these additives might not..

Good luck.
zinnocoupe

Post by zinnocoupe »

Spasso, Wow , awesome, thx for the reply. Just what I need , part nos. and prices. Thx so much. I actually decided a a while ago to not put that cam in again. While I am kind of being cheap and careful about investing too much into a lost cause I also don't want to have to go in there again any time soon. And NOT looking for a Shrick upgade or performance cam. Just want stock. Mind you for this M90 engine, stock is 272 ( or so I've read ) I have also seem someone else recommending the febi-bilstein cam so its on my list. I agree with your analisis on the cam, if they were crap Pelican would sell them.
I am taking the b32 cam to my local cam grinder along with the original cam to see if they are similar in profile. I have read they are close but haven't really had any solid confirmation that the early b32 cam is close in profile etc. I'd be real happy if I could just use that cam and rockers and get the head back on there. Have you any experience with using a B35 cam, I've seen that recommended a lot as well?
Cheers again for all your input etc, I really appreciate it. I will check out your cars project pages. I have in the past but will do so again.
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

The cam number I gave you was based on my VIN and the M30B34 engine that I have.
I ran a cross-reference in RealOEM of this number and the the result is this:

CAMSHAFT
Superseded by:
11319058576(Hardened) 723.50

Part 11311287606 was found on the following vehicles (which includes yours):

5' E28   (07/1984 — 12/1987)
5' E34   (03/1987 — 04/1993)
6' E24   (12/1977 — 04/1989)
7' E23   (05/1979 — 06/1986)
7' E32   (10/1985 — 03/1994)
Here is the catalog listing on Pelican for both cams. They are listed as 264 degree cams.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/kse ... 1311287606

IIRC, the 1988 and 1989 635's ran the B35 engine and would use the 264 cam according to the reference.
There may be more to the story on B35 engines after 1989, those used in the E34.

So, I ran the VIN for my '79 Euro with the M90 and the cam number is 11-31-1-269-497 (NLA) and no specs that I can find.
I have found in some searches (for many different parts), that part numbers can be different for the same part only because it is being used on a different model.

I may wrong but I thought I read somewhere that the stock B32 cam and US spec B34 is 260 degrees .
The 264 degree was preferred on a rebuild and the 272 was not offered as a standard OEM cam
.(Possibly aftermarket?)
If one of the gurus could chime in on this and set me straight I would appreciate it.

This is all of the info I came up with so far.
zinnocoupe

Post by zinnocoupe »

Spasso wrote:The cam number I gave you was based on my VIN and the M30B34 engine that I have.
I ran a cross-reference in RealOEM of this number and the the result is this:

CAMSHAFT
Superseded by:
11319058576(Hardened) 723.50

Part 11311287606 was found on the following vehicles (which includes yours):

OK you have giving me a lot of info, thx. I don't understand how the pt no ( 11311287606 ) for the above cam can be used in ALL versions of the E24.
To me it doesn't make sense BMW would use the same cam in early E12 based cars in both europe and elsewhere with different emissions requirements.
And the same cam in the B35? It says above used till 89? That can't be right

I went to realoem and looked up by VIN my 79 635:
I got this cam: 11311269497
Superseded by:

11319058573 (08/01/1985 — ), Exchangeable retrospectively
Supersedes:

11311304505 (03/01/1978 — 05/02/1980)
Part 11311269497 was found on the following vehicles:
5' E12   (01/1977 — 06/1981)
5' E28   (09/1980 — 12/1988)
6' E24   (10/1975 — 04/1989)
7' E23   (10/1976 — 08/1987)

My 83 633csi Supposedly "early cam" - 11311271986
Part 11311271986 was found on the following vehicles:
5' E28   (06/1982 — 09/1984)
6' E24   (09/1977 — 09/1984)
7' E23   (09/1977 — 05/1986)

My 1987 635csi 11311707151
Part 11311707151 was found on the following vehicles:

I also looked up a late 633csi ( being after 01/84) No VIN to look up just a build date 04/84 - 11311289868
Part 11311289868 was found on the following vehicles:
5' E28   (06/1982 — 09/1984)
6' E24   (09/1977 — 09/1984) weird that both the early 633 and late 633 cam nos. say 77- 09/84? Edit: I see now the early no is superseded by the late
no, does that mean its the same cam? dunno

7' E23   (09/1977 — 05/1986)

This is for the later 88-89 B35 cars - 11311287606
Superseded by:

11319058576 (08/01/1985 — ), nonexchangeable retrospectively
Part 11311287606 was found on the following vehicles:
5' E28   (01/1981 — 08/1990)
7' E23   (01/1977 — 11/1989)

Just for interest sake I looked up the numbers for an E12 M535i which is another car with the M90 - Part no Superseded by:11311269497
Superseded by:

11319058573 (08/01/1985 — ), Exchangeable retrospectively
Supersedes:

11311304505 (03/01/1978 — 05/02/1980)
Part 11311269497 was found on the following vehicles:
5' E12   (01/1977 — 06/1981)
5' E28   (09/1980 — 12/1988)
6' E24   (10/1975 — 04/1989)
7' E23   (10/1976 — 08/1987)

So it looks to me the only place that had the same cam was another M90 car the E12 M535i. Of course that doesn't mean some of these cams don't have the same or similar profile

So i'm seeing different numbers for all these years. None of them have 260 or 264 or 270 associated with them so I have no idea what their profiles are like. The only place Im seeing the 11311287606 part no is on the B35

How are you running a cross reference? I see that by clicking in a part number it take you the parts page and says cross reference. But realoem seems to claim most of these cams are on all cars from 77 to 89? WTF? As usual I feel like I'm reading or doing something wrong. I got a headache from looking through realoem

Again thx for the input, I do hope some one else has some more info to ad here.
After I have the B32 cam specs checked I will definitely consider the Febi cam you recommend.

Oh and I apologize in advance for any stupid mistakes I've made in this post. There is no way I haven't buggered up something here
Last edited by zinnocoupe on Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
zinnocoupe

Post by zinnocoupe »

Heres one of a few posts Ive found regarding the cam in the b32:
http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?p=302375

Heres another thread that has some very knowledgeable people ,Kohler in particular talking about the early 533 cam.
http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=34975

There is quite a bit of stuff like this out there. Nothing conclusive.This is an interesting thread but since there are fair number of opinions who know the truth. There seems to be a large number of seat of the pants opinions that the 83 533/633 had more get up and go than the 84. Is it the cam or the lighter flywheel or both? There is also a graph and chart by devinder on mye28 that shows a bunch of m30 cams. Ill post that when Im home later

Heres a link to Devinders chart, although this shows the the B32 with slightly lower performance than the B34 and no early/late B32.
http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=26596&highlight=

Its snowing like hell in Vancouver now so I didn't go to the cam shop ](*,)
Last edited by zinnocoupe on Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
zinnocoupe

Post by zinnocoupe »

Spasso, Just thought I would ask if you did go with the febi 11-31-1-287-606-M36 did you have to use the hex nut to keep the distributor working or did you go motronic on the 79 euro?

No 18
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=11_0414
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

zinnocoupe wrote:Heres one of a few posts Ive found regarding the cam in the b32:
http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?p=302375

Heres another thread that has some very knowledgeable people ,Kohler in particular talking about the early 533 cam.
http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=34975

There is quite a bit of stuff like this out there. Nothing conclusive.This is an interesting thread but since there are fair number of opinions who know the truth. There seems to be a large number of seat of the pants opinions that the 83 533/633 had more get up and go than the 84. Is it the cam or the lighter flywheel or both? There is also a graph and chart by devinder on mye28 that shows a bunch of m30 cams. Ill post that when Im home later

Heres a link to Devinders chart, although this shows the the B32 with slightly lower performance than the B34 and no early/late B32.
http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=26596&highlight=

Its snowing like hell in Vancouver now so I didn't go to the cam shop ](*,)
I went through a few of those threads too. I read a lot of "I think" and "might be" in them and decided I wasn't going to make any decisions away from stock based on these comments even though they all have merit.

On the other hand, the graph with hard numbers is something to take note of.
If I was aiming for building a hot rod I would have explored going with a hotter cam.
As it is, I already have a hot rod with the turbo car.

I read the history and specs for the Euro spec M30 with the piano-top pistons that is in my car and decided that sticking with the stock specs was going to satisfy what I was building the car for, a fun, nice driving car with a little extra pep.
Spasso

Post by Spasso »

zinnocoupe wrote:Spasso, Just thought I would ask if you did go with the febi 11-31-1-287-606-M36 did you have to use the hex nut to keep the distributor working or did you go motronic on the 79 euro?

No 18
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=11_0414
I never changed the cam the '79 Euro I had so I can't say about the nut.
On my '84 Euro I had to replace the distributor drive adapter because the seal wore a groove in it, Item 19, P/N 11311288027
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpar ... Id=11_0412