UK 1987 635CSi

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

lewis

UK 1987 635CSi

Post by lewis »

After selling my 2006 Aston martin V8 Vantage back in August and replacing it with a perfectly nice but dull 2007 Saab 9-3 diesel which is handy to tow my Westfield track car I decided I needed an exciting RWD petrol car again for an "everyday driver" (I don't actually drive everyday but you know what I mean). I also started thinking a little while ago it would be good to have a car from the same year as me, so I started looking at 1987 Mercs and BMWs. I first wanted an E30 325 or a 318/320 and swap the engine out with a M60/M62 V8 but as I have enough work to do on my Westfield I thought best to get something that is not going to be a major project.

So I started looking at the 635CSi as I've always liked the classic shark nose shape.

Through chance the only 1987 example on eBay was only 20 minutes away from me so I went to go and take a look. It was the first time I've looked at one in the flesh in real detail and it was nice, especially with the nice shine in the metallic grey paintwork. This one was an auto, had almost 200k on the clock and had no service history at all. It drove nicely though, it pulled well and the gearbox was smooth. But it was going to need a fair bit of welding and the engine was a bit tappety in the top end. This wasn't the car for me but I knew now this was the car I wanted.

It was then that I was pointed towards a car on Car and Classic by a member on here in my previous thread. At first I was put off a little as I'm not a big fan of red cars but it was a factory manual car and the advert seemed honest.

It had a big list of things that were working or work that had been done:

- All electrics work including the dashboard, gauges, mirrors and windows
- Factory manual car
- Staggered 8 series split rim BBS wheels in good condition with new tyres
- Reupholstered cream leather interior
- Huge history folder
- Stormforce car cover
- Sills and floors have been fully repaired with full photographic documentation of the restoration
- Front and rear suspension fully serviced with new bushes and control arms
- New stainless exhaust system including manifolds from Fritz Bitz – probably the best thing done to this car
- Fritz Bitz AFM tune which has smoothed out the drive significantly over standard
- 4 new Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres
- Top end rebuild and head gasket change
- Serviced fuel injectors

So what was left to do was a bit of rust repair on the outer passenger rear arch and the tailgate. Also the gear shift is very worn but a rebuild kit was included. And some scrote broke into the car previously and put the lock through into the door and stole the facsia to the stereo. There is a new barrel for the car which just needs to be set (you can adjust the tumblers to match the key) and swapped over.

After speaking to the guy he clearly cared a lot for the car and even had a restoration thread on Retro Rides ( http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/167124/1987...) detailing everything he's done to date.

So I booked a train ticket down to see it and wasn't disappointing. The red appealed to me more in the flesh so that was a relief. Next the condition of the interior was fantastic. The seats had been re-trimmed but not in quite the same shade as the plastic trim, but then again maybe thats how it was OEM. On the test drive I admit I was more caught up in the noise the straight six with that exhaust made than looking for faults.

So I decided it was the car for me and did the deal. In the end he was reluctant to sell as he still loved the car but he wanted the money for a house purchase. I couldn't get too much off as he was going to not sell it at all and live on beans on toast instead!

So now I have the car home. After a 3 hour drive I've developed a a small list of jobs to do. Luckily my dad has taken an interest and has already started tackling the rust repairs. I've decided to get a short shift kit which is on its way over from the US now to replace the sloppy shifting.

Also the first job I did was fit a new stereo which then highlighted the poor speakers so thats my next job smile

Here are a couple of photos from the advert:

baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: UK 1987 635CSi

Post by baders »

Great to see another one go to a good home. You will find all sorts of advice on this great forum. Only a question away. Enjoy your car.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by olympia57 »

Welcome . Car does look great and I'm sure you'll get lots of enjoyment from it .
I followed that thread ( 2nd reply ) and could see that he cared for it and it wasn't a two month ownership and then move on thing .
Keep us updated .
Don
1981 635 series 1
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

good work! I reckon your car must have rolled off the production line about the same time as my '87, it has an almost identical spec (although mine is an auto, and has the M-tech rear spoiler and pinstriping) . FWIW I think it is the best spec for a RHD 635CSi; the later models (6/87 onwards) are heavier and shorter-geared, and I don't care so much for the look of the later bumpers either. RHD cars built 9/86 to 6/87 do have a RHD brake master cylinder which is an improvement over the earlier arrangement.

A word of warning; IME if you run staggered wheels on an E24 you will probably only get a fraction of the tyre life that you should; the usual thing is that the fronts wear on the shoulders and the rears wear in the middle. Front to rear tyre rotation (as per the owner's handbook) can even this out, but with a staggered fitment that is impossible.

If you want decent sounds, you need decent speakers. 6x4" ones (alone, even decent ones) just don't cut it, not in the stock enclosures. If you add a sub, there is usually a big 'hole' in the frequency range between the 6x4 and the sub. Other options include

a) - getting 'premium' rear speaker pods
b) - converting standard speaker pods to accept different (bigger) speakers
c) - fitting 6x9" speakers (or similar) in the kick panel.

a) and b) suffer from the same problem which is that the enclosure isn't that great unless it is sealed and ported into the boot. Plus you lose the storage cubby. Back in the day BMW UK dealer fit option was to have Pioneer speakers installed in the kick panels. Mine had that already but the speakers were shot and I just enlarged the holes and fitted 6x9s in there. I fitted some JBL 6x4"s in the front too.
viewtopic.php?t=2154&start=0

sounds good to me!

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~