Hey from Toronto

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Yuros

Hey from Toronto

Post by Yuros »

Hi All,
Just wanted to introduce myself and my new project.
I'm in a perpetual search for modern classics, having owned a number of Italian, Swedish, British and German cars. I only get involved with turn-key cars as I don't have the skills nor time to work on big mechanical or body projects. But I'm not afraid of a few cosmetic issues that can be remedied with a trip to the breakers. My last flirt with BMW was 12 years ago when I had E30 IS; which I regret selling to this day.
My current summer toy is a 1974 TVR 2500M, and although it is a blast to drive on short trips, it is not the most practical classic. I wanted a GT car that would allow for a comfortable weekend trip with the missis. Looked at a couple of Jags XJS, MBs R107s and finally this 6er popped up. Always had a soft spot for the shark. I saw the car last weekend and had it trailered over a few days later. This one is clean, from a vert good home, and with a 5-speed manual. Manual gearbox pretty much sealed the deal for me as all we have here in Ontario are automatics.

So here she is:
1986 635CSI
3 - owner car
Original color was BeigeMetallic, which is not really a color at all :D
She was professionally repainted about 7 years ago with VOLVO Mayan Gold. The paint job is quality - looks professionally done with glass out. I never thought I'd buy a gold car but I think this colour actually works. Once the tint is removed and she is sitting on BBS rims, it will look stylish. I may change my mind and repaint it to a BMW color in the future.

ImageImage

My immediate To-Dos:
- flush all fluids
- new battery
- Make sure its 100% mechanically
- Install BBS Style5 17'' rims (already sitting in my garage :)
- replace a few buttons and trim bits
- remove that window tint
- detail, detail, detail
- drive !

Long term goals
- respray ?
- Euro valance? I do like the clean look of not having a big air dam on the front, but a small color-matched spoiler like on early Euro cars would look nice.
- Euro bumpers
- M-tech springs
- Replace the dash - mine is brown with a couple of cracks. Would prefer black.

- What do you think about this color?

- I could go ahead and order m-tech springs right now as I think the car will sit a bit high on 17" rims. Would it be ok to just change the springs while keeping the stock shocks which are in good shape?

- It seems like almost all cars here have front valances. Mine does not have one but its not missing, there is actually a piece of black factory trim finishing the bumper underneath. Was front spoiler an option?

- If I was to source a stock radio from a parts car, will it work? I really want to have everything as original as possible.

Look forward to the ownership and being part of the BigCoupe community. This forum looks like a terrific resource.
Cheers,
Yuri
1987_ 635CSi_5 spd
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Hey from Toronto

Post by hornhospital »

Welcome to the insanity, Yuri! If you've already dealt with a TVR, the E24 will be a piece of cake. :wink:
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Hi Yuros and welcome. Interesting colour that ! Is she missing the front spoiler ?

Edit; Sorry just read this;
Euro valance? I do like the clean look of not having a big air dam on the front, but a small color-matched spoiler like on early Euro cars would look nice.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

Welcome aboard! I like that Volvo colour, it reminds me of the Series 1 cars when 70s funky colours were more common.

I think you need to keep the brown dash to go with the rest of the brown plastics.

My M535i had this brown trim, with pearl-beige seats in a dark green car. It was a bit like a pond.

Enjoy,

Rob
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
val_c

Post by val_c »

Welcome!
Your car seems to be a twin of mine at birth. I wonder why Nutria interiors were so popular in Canada?
If you're around GTA we can get together, we have bunch of 6ers over there.
Cheers,
Val
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

Welcome.

Toronto is such a nice city too (except not winter).

The style5 wheels will look great.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6