Stalled Project - 1985 Diamond Schwartz w/Taurus Rot Interior

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

2011z4

Stalled Project - 1985 Diamond Schwartz w/Taurus Rot Interior

Post by 2011z4 »

Hi all. I have hit the end of the road on my 1985 restoration. The car is an 11/84 production and was a "press car" for a year before it was privately sold on the market in '85. It runs great, has NO RUST, and has a TON of new and restored parts ready to go back on. Right now, the car is about 75% complete (new professional paint job (base + clear with wet sand and buff), new leather interior w/sport seats, refinished rims, new tires, new headliner, refinished bumpers, restored engine compartment, etc.) and I am looking to see if getting out now is a good idea. As with every project, time is critical in getting these projects done. We have our first little one on the way, and I am tinkering with posting my project for sale as-is to make some room in the garage. Does anyone think this is a good idea? I know I won't get what a finished price would be for a project like this, but thought getting something is better than just having it sit. Thoughts out there??
Shipper 01

Re: Stalled Project - 1985 Diamond Schwartz w/Taurus Rot Interior

Post by Shipper 01 »

My car is still going and I've been tinkering for the last 8 years. The last 3 have been very hard. I fought to get the car completed prior to my wife giving birth similar to your situation. My wife and I dropped my 3 year old off to his first day of kindy this morning.

Post some picks. Let us take a look. Car restos are hard and take forever. I'll keep going with mine. Another 10 to 15 years and it will be worth big $$$. These cars are now climbing in value.

There's an M635CSi here for sale for $149k and one just sold in the UK for $129k. This will drag up the lower spec cars. You may let the car go on a trough when values are starting to ride up to a crest. E9's over here, 5 years ago a 3.0CSi was $25k. Now they are twice that. The e24 will follow soon.

Photos!
ozbmwnut

Re: Stalled Project - 1985 Diamond Schwartz w/Taurus Rot Interior

Post by ozbmwnut »

Hi there. by what you have described, you have done all the hard work already.... the way i see it, you have turned to corner at "third base" and you are running with home base in sight! Keep GOING!! Finish it and enjoy it a bit, Then, if you feel you must, put it on the market as a completed restoration (if you can actually dare to part with it...)

To sell it now would be a bloody shame....

My 2 cents..

Good luck, whatever you decide to do....
3/1986 Complianced, Aust delivered E24. Bronzit with Pearl Beige.
Garage buddies: E9 3.0 csi Polaris Silver, blue leather ; E34 M5 Alpine White, Black extended leather ; E39 M5 Carbon Black, Caramel Heritage Leather.