New 6er!

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

AlexTheBeaner

New 6er!

Post by AlexTheBeaner »

A friend of mines found the car on craigstlist. I saw it and I just had to buy it. Drove all the way to Sacramento to pick it up. The guy who sold it to me said it belonged to a family member who had passed away and he was going to fix it up, but bills got on the way.

Specs:
1981 633CS
166k original miles
5 speed
the interior is complete, the door panels are in the trunk
Been out of the DMV system since 96'.

So far, the car needs:
a master brake cylinder (tomorrow we are checking the booster)
New tires
Registration
Fix the electric windows (maybe just go manual)
Re-attach rear end of the exhaust, it got cut and now it's hanging about where the rear wheels end.
Attachments
IMG_6928.JPG
IMG_6928.JPG (685.58 KiB) Viewed 7773 times
IMG_6906.JPG
IMG_6906.JPG (1.04 MiB) Viewed 7773 times
IMG_6905.JPG
IMG_6905.JPG (874.54 KiB) Viewed 7773 times
IMG_6902.JPG
IMG_6902.JPG (1.11 MiB) Viewed 7773 times
Hefeweizen

Re: New 6er!

Post by Hefeweizen »

Best of luck with your find! It is indeed project and a rewarding one on top!
Rainer
03 330Xi (DD)
85 635CSi (RIP 3 May 19)
80 633CSi (Red Euro, Project)

"If you think a good European mechanic is expensive, try a bad one!"
AlexTheBeaner

Post by AlexTheBeaner »

Hefeweizen wrote:Best of luck with your find! It is indeed project and a rewarding one on top!
Thanks! I finally got the chance to look at it good yesterday. It seems to over heat a little, I have to check the hoses and see if any of them are ripped. The good thing is that the fuel lines have been replaced.
Hefeweizen

Post by Hefeweizen »

AlexTheBeaner wrote:
Hefeweizen wrote:Best of luck with your find! It is indeed project and a rewarding one on top!
Thanks! I finally got the chance to look at it good yesterday. It seems to over heat a little, I have to check the hoses and see if any of them are ripped. The good thing is that the fuel lines have been replaced.
First thing you want to check is if you do lose coolant. If you don't, after the car is at operating temperature or even getting hotter than usual stick a rolled up newspaper into your fan. If it stops, you need to replace the fan clutch.
If it shreds the paper it's time to check the thermostat. Feel the hoses (Carefully) to see if the thermostat actually opens. If it is stuck, time to replace the thermostat,
Rainer
03 330Xi (DD)
85 635CSi (RIP 3 May 19)
80 633CSi (Red Euro, Project)

"If you think a good European mechanic is expensive, try a bad one!"
AlexTheBeaner

Post by AlexTheBeaner »

Hefeweizen wrote:
First thing you want to check is if you do lose coolant. If you don't, after the car is at operating temperature or even getting hotter than usual stick a rolled up newspaper into your fan. If it stops, you need to replace the fan clutch.
If it shreds the paper it's time to check the thermostat. Feel the hoses (Carefully) to see if the thermostat actually opens. If it is stuck, time to replace the thermostat,
Definitely will do! Thanks for that, never knew about the new's paper one.
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

AlexTheBeaner wrote:
Hefeweizen wrote:
Hey, I have a 633 as well. It's a few years newer, but had all the same ailments. I had to replace just about all the cooling components including the radiator. When it sits for so long, it just gets gummed up with a bunch of sludge. I flushed mine out and then replaced everything. You can follow my project from the beginning and see it all...

Definitely challenging, but fun.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383
AlexTheBeaner

Post by AlexTheBeaner »

songzunhuang wrote:
AlexTheBeaner wrote:
Hefeweizen wrote:
Hey, I have a 633 as well. It's a few years newer, but had all the same ailments. I had to replace just about all the cooling components including the radiator. When it sits for so long, it just gets gummed up with a bunch of sludge. I flushed mine out and then replaced everything. You can follow my project from the beginning and see it all...

Definitely challenging, but fun.
Thanks Song! I actually saw your thread a while back haha. Do you happen to know if the the master cylinder brake is universal with the 635CSi?

best,

Alex.

P.S Sillicon Valley? We gotta get coffee some time! I'm two hours away!
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Hey Alex, nice score =D>

Song is really not in Silicon Valley, but I am \:D/

He works in the valley but lives up in Scotts Valley, towards Santa Cruz :wink:

2 hour drive from Fresno :-k

Good luck with that, the traffic has become abysmal :-({|=

Regarding brake master cylinders, you have an E12 chassis based 6er there and virtually nothing is compatible with the later E28 based cars, which Song has, an '84 [-X

Even though it's also a 633, they only look the same :-"

However, my '80 is much more akin to your new find :shock:

So please, bring on the questions :lol:

:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
AlexTheBeaner

Post by AlexTheBeaner »

GRNSHRK wrote:Hey Alex, nice score =D>

Song is really not in Silicon Valley, but I am \:D/

He works in the valley but lives up in Scotts Valley, towards Santa Cruz :wink:

2 hour drive from Fresno :-k

Good luck with that, the traffic has become abysmal :-({|=

Regarding brake master cylinders, you have an E12 chassis based 6er there and virtually nothing is compatible with the later E28 based cars, which Song has, an '84 [-X

Even though it's also a 633, they only look the same :-"

However, my '80 is much more akin to your new find :shock:

So please, bring on the questions :lol:

Thanks GRNSHRK! (I wish I knew your name lol) :mrgreen:

I've been through San Jose's traffic, it's no bueno, at all!!! such a headache haha.

I believe it's the e12 because the engine compartment and everything else is so much different than my 635. With that being said, that means that in order to swap parts, i have to find cars that are based on the e12 chassis ?
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Alex, my name is in my sig, Bob, most of my friends call me Bobbo though :-"

But to answer your question, yes you will need to find E12 based models if your looking in the used market, which of course many of us do :wink:

So, that means models years '77 ('76?) up through MY82 would be your model years of choice, with one caveat :-?

In 1982, BMW moved to the first version of Motronic FI, so once again, the complete fuel injection system is different #-o

But underneath, the interior and whatnot is all still E12 based \:D/

You have L-jet FI, what year is your 635 :-k

Once again, nice score =D>

Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
AlexTheBeaner

Post by AlexTheBeaner »

GRNSHRK wrote:Alex, my name is in my sig, Bob, most of my friends call me Bobbo though :-"

But to answer your question, yes you will need to find E12 based models if your looking in the used market, which of course many of us do :wink:

So, that means models years '77 ('76?) up through MY82 would be your model years of choice, with one caveat :-?

In 1982, BMW moved to the first version of Motronic FI, so once again, the complete fuel injection system is different #-o

But underneath, the interior and whatnot is all still E12 based \:D/

You have L-jet FI, what year is your 635 :-k

Once again, nice score =D>

Ah I see, well nice to meet you Bob!

The year of my 635 is 1985, so yeah it's fuel injected. :shock:

And thanks! I think this will be a track car, see if I can get into SCCA.