1986 635 csi in London

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

NavSG

1986 635 csi in London

Post by NavSG »

Hi,

Thought I'd share my little project with fellow BMW fans. Picked up this black beauty a few weeks ago:

Garaged her, so she isnt exposed to the elements:

It's an 86 635 csi, previous owner has de-chromed and retrimmed in tan leather. My plans are to completely overhaul the suspension, new control arms, wishbones, bushes, etc as well as CA Tuned coilovers. Rear subframe mounts have rusted, so these will receive some attention. In addition, the sunroof doesn't work so the mechanism will be replaced. Some bubbling under the roof and bonnet so they will be resprayed, aswell as the nose due to some stonechips. Manage to pickup up full set of of E34 525 calipers, discs and pads for a decent price, will also be installing HEL steel braided brake lines and an E32 750i master brake cylinder. Full fluid change and service. That lot should see her get back to good nick and to hopefully get some enjoyment out her this summer.

Parts ordered so far:

Last edited by NavSG on Sat May 25, 2019 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
randall977

Re: 1986 635 csi in London

Post by randall977 »

Looks pretty tidy, interior is very nice. Sounds like you know quite a bit about these already - look forward to seeing updates!
NavSG

Post by NavSG »

randall977 wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 8:33 pm Looks pretty tidy, interior is very nice. Sounds like you know quite a bit about these already - look forward to seeing updates!
Knowledge is basic, but I know more about BMW's than any other marque. This one only has some rust on the rear subframe mounts and some on the rear sills. Welding will be done where required. Currently seems to sitting on cut springs and standard shocks. Originally was going to go the Bilstein B6 and Eibach spring route but CA Tuned coilovers are not that much more and will give plenty of options when it comes to wheel choice.

Always admired the E24 as a kid growing up in the 80's. Owned a couple of E36's in the 2000's before 10 years of having company cars. Finally back into car ownership and decided against modern cars with all their electronics, wanted something mechanical which can be worked on. Plans are to make her handle, make her stop and maybe a long way down the line drop an M60 V8 into her lol.

Current priority is rust and suspension.
randall977

Post by randall977 »

Sounds like a good plan! The rear sills are a common rust point, a bit of work to sort out but it's a good feeling when done. They do have quite a lot of electrics for an 80's car...but at least the engines isn't covered in plastic.
NavSG

Post by NavSG »

Just a small update, brake upgrade bits have arrived. They are front and rear E34 calipers with pads and rear discs. The front calipers are huge with big pistons. Will be buying new discs for the fronts as I believe the E24 had a 70/30 front brake bias. Calipers will be stripped, rebuilt with new pistons/seals and painted. Managed to get the front calipers for under £10 and rear setup for £80. Should be able get new front discs and caliper rebuild kits for £100 or so which leaves my brake upgrade costing me around £200. 8)

Rondel Fan

Post by Rondel Fan »

I look forward to the brake master posts. Having just done the clutch master and found working around the fluid reservoir so tight that it us very tough just to swap the MC feed line, I can't Imagine how I'd get go the brake MC.
NavSG

Post by NavSG »

Not much gone on these lest couple of months while I waited for CA Tuned coilovers to be shipped over from the States. Thanks to Hack Engineering for getting all the bits together. Full suspension refresh planned.